1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 12:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Is the state religion the Church of England or not?
    NO
    Although an established church, the Church of England does not receive any direct government support. Donations comprise its largest source of income, and it also relies heavily on the income from its various historic endowments. As of 2005, the Church of England had estimated total outgoings of around £900 million
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_England
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 22:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]David Cameron accused of fostering division in 'Christian' UK

[quote]More than 50 prominent public figures including novelist, diplomats, Nobel prize winners and playwrights have accused David Cameron of fostering divisions in the UK by repeatedly referring to Britain as a Christian country. [...]

In a letter to the Daily Telegraph, they assert: "Ap ...[text shortened]... eadership ~ and if done for electoral reasons, deserving of severe rebuke.

Agree or disagree?[/b]
    Agree.
    Unsurprisingly this irritated me [as it did the last time he claimed something similar].
    This is [thankfully] not a Christian country, it's a secular one.

And his claim that we get our moral values from the bible.... Wow is he an idiot.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 22:17
    If the atheists want to raise a stink, why don't they petition Parliament to drop their sponsorship of the Church of England?
    We do on a regular basis.

https://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/secularism/constitutional-reform/
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 22:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Disagree with which bits?

Leaders open and proud of their faith: fine.

Leaders with political views shaped by their faith: fine.

Leaders declaring their countries to "have" the same faith as they have: not good ~ bad leadership ~ and if done for electoral reasons, deserving of severe rebuke.
    Leaders open and proud of their faith: fine.

I prefer my candidates to be atheists, or at least secularists.
    However it's not my most important criteria in voting.

Leaders with political views shaped by their faith: fine.

And this is why I prefer atheists candidates. Faith is a dumb thing to
    shape beliefs around, and is likely to lead to bad policy and decision
    making.

Leaders declaring their countries to "have" the same faith as they have: not good ~ bad leadership ~ and if done for electoral reasons, deserving of severe rebuke

Absolutely.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 23:24
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You obviously know nothing of the British Parliament.

The Head of the Church of England is the reigning Monarch.
    That is a duty distinct from government.

The "State" does not sponsor any religion.

Unfortunately we still have the House of Lords with
    unelected Bishops but that will be remedied soon.
    Well, thanks for clearing that up.

I said I wasn't too comfortable speaking with any authority about things British.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 23:26
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    We do on a regular basis.

https://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/secularism/constitutional-reform/
    Aha...

Ok, thanks to you too for clearing that up.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 23:46
    Aha...

Ok, thanks to you too for clearing that up.
    No problem.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 04:05
    Originally posted by FMF

[quote]More than 50 prominent public figures including novelist, diplomats, Nobel prize winners and playwrights have accused David Cameron of fostering divisions in the UK by repeatedly referring to Britain as a Christian country. [...]

In a letter to the Daily Telegraph, they assert: "Ap ...[text shortened]... eadership ~ and if done for electoral reasons, deserving of severe rebuke.

Agree or disagree?[/b]
    Agree. I prefer a government that does not officially endorse a belief. The leader of a nation should respect the beliefs of all its citizens and remain neutral on the matter.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 04:421 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Agree or disagree?[/b]
    I agree that David Cameron saying that Britain is a Christian country will foster division. Of course he realises this and his gambit is that the division will cleave sufficiently to drive the conservative vote but insufficiency to drive [significant] social stress. I think he is probably correct in his gambit but wrong his stated premise.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 05:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    Aren't these the same people you clamor to give more power to?
    No. Where do you get that idea? I think you are confusing me with someone else.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 15:07
    My point is: the UK actually has a "state-sponsored" religion: the Church of England. Soooo it can't possibly be that much of a stretch to say the UK is a "Christian country".

If the atheists want to raise a stink, why don't they petition Parliament to drop their sponsorship of the Church of England?
    Cameron last week told the arch bishop of canterbury to but out of politics because his sermons suggested that Camerons policy to stop or reduce benefits for the unemployed & sick was taking a lot of family's below the poverty line(food banks are popping up all over the uk)I feel that the church should have the right to be political.
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 19:37
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Agree. I prefer a government that does not officially endorse a belief. The leader of a nation should respect the beliefs of all its citizens and remain neutral on the matter.
    I agree, politics should be secular. Cameron has every right to his beliefs but he is simply wrong in stating that the country is Christian in any meaningful way.

Out of interest, Nick Clegg, the deputy PM (and from a different party, we are currenly under a coalition government) called this week for the Church to be disestablished. Which I am sure it will, eventually.

--- Penguin
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 00:07
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Out of interest, Nick Clegg, the deputy PM (and from a different party, we are currenly under a coalition government) called this week for the Church to be disestablished. Which I am sure it will, eventually.
    Ed Milliband ~ Leader of the Opposition ~ is an atheist [of "Jewish heritage"]. Nick Clegg ~ Deputy PM ~ is too (while his wife and children are Catholics).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree