1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    06 Jan '15 16:27
    Where I work there are a lot of Hispanics that go there. The housekeeper is Catholic and about a year ago she had asked me if I was Catholic or Christian? That was the first time I have her her to Catholic finally say that! When I was Catholic I would just tell people I was a Catholic-Christian and most of the people do that who are Catholic. Also the girl who does phlebotomy was a Catholic at one time but she is a Christian now. And she also asked me if I was a Catholic or Christian about a month ago. Both these women actually get it. The housekeeper though said she doesn't believe in changing beliefs of whatever that you were born to.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '15 18:41
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Where I work there are a lot of Hispanics that go there. The housekeeper is Catholic and about a year ago she had asked me if I was Catholic or Christian? That was the first time I have her her to Catholic finally say that! When I was Catholic I would just tell people I was a Catholic-Christian and most of the people do that who are Catholic. Also the girl wh ...[text shortened]... usekeeper though said she doesn't believe in changing beliefs of whatever that you were born to.
    "Religious exclusivism is the doctrine or belief that only one particular religion or belief system is true. In its normative form it is simply the belief in one's own religion and non-belief in religions other than one's own. Linked with a doctrine of salvation, religious exclusivism teaches that only the members of one religion or sect will reach Heaven or any given soteriological aim, while others will be doomed to eternal damnation or exclusion from a paradisiacal afterlife."

- Wikipedia
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '15 18:43
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Where I work there are a lot of Hispanics that go there. The housekeeper is Catholic and about a year ago she had asked me if I was Catholic or Christian? That was the first time I have her her to Catholic finally say that! When I was Catholic I would just tell people I was a Catholic-Christian and most of the people do that who are Catholic. Also the girl wh ...[text shortened]... usekeeper though said she doesn't believe in changing beliefs of whatever that you were born to.
    Linguistically ~ and, intriguingly, constitutionally too ~ there is an explicit differentiation in Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian) between Catholics (Katolik) and "Christians" (Kristen). Very few people here can make the theological case for such differentiation though.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '15 18:46
    Originally quoted by JS357
    "Religious exclusivism is the doctrine or belief that only one particular religion or belief system is true. In its normative form it is simply the belief in one's own religion and non-belief in religions other than one's own.
    see: 'Christianity is not a religion'
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '15 18:581 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    see: 'Christianity is not a religion'
    To be blunt, "Christianity is not a religion" as expressed in the thread of that name, is an exclusivist position. And there is exclusivism between some Christian denominations, even to the point of refusing to recognize certain denominations as Christian.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 17:28
    This is one of the stupidest threads I've seen in some time, even for the Spirituality forum.

Catholics ARE Christians.
  7. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 17:39
    Originally posted by JS357
    To be blunt, "Christianity is not a religion" as expressed in the thread of that name, is an exclusivist position. And there is exclusivism between some Christian denominations, even to the point of refusing to recognize certain denominations as Christian.
    I was Christened into the Church of England a Protestant (Catholic) My wife was Christened Roman Catholic, Now the Mass is spoken in English and not Latin there is very little difference in the either belief.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 17:40
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is one of the stupidest threads I've seen in some time, even for the Spirituality forum.

Catholics ARE Christians.
    But are non-Catholic Christians regarded as Christians by Catholics?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 17:461 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    But are non-Catholic Christians regarded as Christians by Catholics?
    You'd have to ask them that.

As someone has already said, yes there are some denominations that are 'oh-so-quick' to deny the Christianity of those not in their special little flock.

The JWs and LDS leap to mind. It certainly would not surprise me if the RCs were in that boat as well.

I must say, though, I haven't been ostracized by any Catholics I know personally (and I would assume one of their main targets (as a group) would be the Episcopalians (Anglicans)).
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 17:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Linguistically ~ and, intriguingly, constitutionally too ~ there is an explicit differentiation in Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian) between Catholics (Katolik) and "Christians" (Kristen). Very few people here can make the theological case for such differentiation though.
    Especially the ones who would call ALL of us "infidels", eh?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 17:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Looks like that distinction has a colonial origin - even linguistically (the Dutch words are "katholiek" and "christen" respectively). Historically, Catholics were a significant minority in the Dutch South, while politics was dominated by protestants (primarily Calvinist). Catholics were oppressed and heavily discriminated against until well into the 20th Century.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 17:59

As someone has already said, yes there are some denominations that are 'oh-so-quick' to deny the Christianity of those not in their special little flock.

The JWs and LDS leap to mind. It certainly would not surprise me if the RCs were in that boat as well.

I must say, though, I haven't been ostracized by any Catholics ...[text shortened]... d I would assume one of their main targets (as a group) would be the Episcopalians (Anglicans)).
    "Catholics and Evangelicals should not wait for theologians to reach agreement before praying and working together, Pope Francis recently told a group of Pentecostal Anglican bishops in Rome.

"To continue to focus on differences between Christian denominations is “sinning against Christ’s will,” the pontiff said, because “our shared baptism is more important than our differences.”"

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2014/10/28/pope-francis-urges-catholics-protestants-work-together-video/
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 18:021 edit
    Especially the ones who would call ALL of us "infidels", eh?
    The "ones"? Are you talking about Indonesian Catholics or Indonesian Christians? There are of course many Christians here who look upon Muslims as infidels. A lot of religionists take up an exclusivist position about their own faith, Christians and Muslims alike.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 18:10

I must say, though, I haven't been ostracized by any Catholics ...[text shortened]... d I would assume one of their main targets (as a group) would be the Episcopalians (Anglicans)).
    I think the Anglican communion have an easier relationship with the Orthodox Churches than they do with the Roman Catholic Church who have a habit of talking down to them as if they are errant members - but that is at the level of Archbishops and Cardinals. In general I don't think grass roots Catholics think that way. Anglicans certainly don't, neither do Methodists or Presbyterians at least in Britain. I think that the the tendency to think like that is in inverse proportion to the size of the congregation.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 18:414 edits

Christ himself stated that the truth of the Gospel would have a polarising effect. How you fail to notice this is quite beyond me.

The churches of Christendom have watered down the word of God with secularism so that they produce a kind of insipid lukewarm namby pambiness where morality plays second fiddle to all inclusiveness, where you go to church to win a playstation 4, or play bingo, or drink coffee or have a jumble sale, anything but get out and teach people about Gods word.

Jesus himself states, ' I never knew you, you workers of lawlessness!' Shall we relate the wheat and the weeds, how one handmaiden would be taken, another abandoned, how the gospel would be like a sword, how he that is not for me is against me, how he that does not gather scatters? All indicative of the polarising effect that Jesus stated acceptance of the gospel and its practical application would have.

Paul goes even further.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree