1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 00:55
    For me to be excited and interested in a religion I must be charmed by the story of the religion. The Christian religion has never charmed me at all. For the life of me I can't see the attraction of the angry God concept. Did anybody ever see the Twilight Zone eposode where this kid had God like powers and he could read your mind ? Everyone was scared to death when they where around him for fear of his anger. He could read their minds, and he knew when they where not thinking like he wanted. He could turn them into anything he wanted for punishment. This reminds me of the Christian idea of a God that will throw you into Hell if you don't follow the rules. Adam and Eve paid bitterly for not towing the line in the Garden, and we have all been under that hammer ever sense. No charm here.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 01:32
    Originally posted by buckky
    For me to be excited and interested in a religion I must be charmed by the story of the religion. The Christian religion has never charmed me at all. For the life of me I can't see the attraction of the angry God concept. Did anybody ever see the Twilight Zone eposode where this kid had God like powers and he could read your mind ? Everyone was scared to deat ...[text shortened]... wing the line in the Garden, and we have all been under that hammer ever sense. No charm here.
    why then dont you make up your own religion?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 03:47
    For me to be excited and interested in a religion I must be charmed by the story of the religion. The Christian religion has never charmed me at all. For the life of me I can't see the attraction of the angry God concept. Did anybody ever see the Twilight Zone eposode where this kid had God like powers and he could read your mind ? Everyone was scared to deat ...[text shortened]... wing the line in the Garden, and we have all been under that hammer ever sense. No charm here.
    Exactly why should Christianity or any other religion wish to charm you? If something does not suit your fancy just mosey on down the road.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 07:321 edit
    For me to be excited and interested in a religion I must be charmed by the story of the religion. The Christian religion has never charmed me at all. For the life of me I can't see the attraction of the angry God concept. Did anybody ever see the Twilight Zone eposode where this kid had God like powers and he could read your mind ? Everyone was scared to deat wing the line in the Garden, and we have all been under that hammer ever sense. No charm here.
    You have one version of Judeo-Christianity going on here. It's certainly not the only take on Judaism, Christianity, or the Judeo-Christianity paradigm.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 12:40
    The concept that the God of the Bible is an angry God is a lie. Sure, God has been angry, but it is a righteous anger. You should be aware though that God has not demonstrated His anger in quite some time. That's because we live in a time called "the dispensation of the grace of God". Of course this time will end and God will then "pour out His wrath" on the remaining inhabitants of earth that refuse to acknowlegde Him and His Christ.

It's too bad you are not "charmed" by Christianity. Why should you be? After all, it's not about you or me, so there's no appearent appeal. Christianity is about Christ. Jesus is the central figure and theme of the faith.

If you want to "feel" good about yourself, then there are plenty of other avenues to explore. But if you want to be honest with yourself concerning your condition, i.e. guilt, then Christ is the only way.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 13:30
    Originally posted by josephw
    The concept that the God of the Bible is an angry God is a lie. Sure, God has been angry, but it is a righteous anger. You should be aware though that God has not demonstrated His anger in quite some time. That's because we live in a time called "the dispensation of the grace of God". Of course this time will end and God will then "pour out His wrath" on the ...[text shortened]... st with yourself concerning your condition, i.e. guilt, then Christ is the only way.
    Man, its a good thing you don't work in the christian PR department, or I think their membership would plummet rapidly. We're all just worthless scum who deserve to be smitten down by a wrathful god. There's an uplifting recruitment slogan if ever I heard one. Why would anyone want to listen to such complete rubbish?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 13:49
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Man, its a good thing you don't work in the christian PR department, or I think their membership would plummet rapidly. We're all just worthless scum who deserve to be smitten down by a wrathful god. There's an uplifting recruitment slogan if ever I heard one. Why would anyone want to listen to such complete rubbish?
    How does one reason with you?

You don't believe that God exists. Why do you care if I believe that God is a loving and merciful God?

Why do you continuously kick against the goads? I know, and you know I know, that we all struggle with guilt.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 14:041 edit
    How does one reason with you?

You don't believe that God exists. Why do you care if I believe that God is a loving and merciful God?

Why do you continuously kick against the goads? I know, and you know I know, that we all struggle with guilt.
    You say that your god is loving and merciful, but then everything you say about him is angry and wrathful. Loving and merciful gods do loving and merciful things, not angry and wrathful things.

I care because I think your religion is responsible for a great deal of psychological damage to a large number of people. You teach that people are inherently worthless scum who deserve nothing, but that they may gain salvation through no effort of their own. I can't think of a more repugnant message. If you said that people were inherently good, but often become corrupted in this world, and that they needed a helping hand from a kindly god to realize the joint project of their salvation, then maybe it would be a trifle less repugnant. And maybe your religion would turn out some better adjusted people with fewer kooks and freaks.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 14:17
    You say that your god is loving and merciful, but then everything you say about him is angry and wrathful. Loving and merciful gods do loving and merciful things, not angry and wrathful things.

I care because I think your religion is responsible for a great deal of psychological damage to a large number of people. You teach that people are inherently wo ...[text shortened]... And maybe your religion would turn out some better adjusted people with fewer kooks and freaks.
    "I care because I think your religion is responsible for a great deal of psychological damage to a large number of people."

On the contrary, my "faith" has done a great deal of good for a very few people who have trusted in Christ.

As to the rest of your post, all I can say is that you are woefully misinformed. You have a very negative mindset about the God of the Bible. How you came about having such a negative view is disheartening.

All I can suggest is that you go back to the basics and reform your oppinions and views. You are very wrong about me and my God.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 14:31
    [b]"I care because I think your religion is responsible for a great deal of psychological damage to a large number of people."

On the contrary, my "faith" has done a great deal of good for a very few people who have trusted in Christ.

As to the rest of your post, all I can say is that you are woefully misinformed. You have a very negative mindset a ...[text shortened]... k to the basics and reform your oppinions and views. You are very wrong about me and my God.[/b]
    Your religion has transformed you from a directionless freak into a specifically religious freak. There's progress for you.

If your religion hadn't psychologically scarred so many people from the start, then there would probably be fewer lost souls stumbling about. Or to put it another way, your religion causes the problem and then proposes to be the solution to that problem. If people weren't raised on the repugnant doctrine of original sin, then they would have quite a bit less need for the salvation you're peddling.
  11. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 19:18
    Your religion has transformed you from a directionless freak into a specifically religious freak. There's progress for you.

If your religion hadn't psychologically scarred so many people from the start, then there would probably be fewer lost souls stumbling about. Or to put it another way, your religion causes the problem and then proposes to be the so ...[text shortened]... original sin, then they would have quite a bit less need for the salvation you're peddling.
    What is your definition of "a lost soul"? Do you believe in a soul at all? Or that it is in a lost conditon spiritually? Or are you only suggesting that people misbehave because they are rebelling against the religious instruction they had as a child?
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 19:38
    Originally posted by ale1552
    What is your definition of "a lost soul"? Do you believe in a soul at all? Or that it is in a lost conditon spiritually? Or are you only suggesting that people misbehave because they are rebelling against the religious instruction they had as a child?
    I use the term 'soul' figuratively. I do not believe in the existence of a literal soul. So when I use the term 'lost soul', I was merely alluding to the fact that there are a lot of people casting about with no apparent direction, who subsequently latch on to religion as a crutch. Many of them are burdened with feelings of guilt as a direct result of having been raised in a christian environment (with its nefarious doctrine of original sin), and they paradoxically return to the christian fold later in life in an attempt to deal with that built in guilt.

My point was that if they didn't have that form of psychological scarring from their early childhood, they wouldn't have any use for the snake oil remedy that most christian sects are peddling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree