1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 20:32
    Imagine a man had a PhD in chocolate and had spent his entire life studying chocolate. He had travelled the world studying chocolate in all its forms and had an entire attic full of books on chocolate. He knew every possible chemical variation and make up of any type of chocolate. If you were looking for a world expert on chocolate , this would be the man to talk to.....except....................
    ..................on a TV talk show one night a woman pipes up and asked the man "What is your favourite flavour of chocolate?" The man replies " My dear madam , I have no idea what chocolate tastes like , I have no taste buds , I have spent my entire life researching chocolate in the hope it would somehow bring me closer to being able to experience this taste. I would swap everything I know about chocolate just for one chance to really taste it. I fear that despite my knowledge I may infact have no idea at all what all the fuss is about . Sometimes I feel like I actually know nothing at all "

The shocked and stunned audience take a break and head for refreshments . He sees the woman reach into her bag for a kit- kat and he begins to weep.

(For chocolate read sex , cheese , a sunset , or God?)
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 20:39
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Imagine a man had a PhD in chocolate and had spent his entire life studying chocolate. He had travelled the world studying chocolate in all its forms and had an entire attic full of books on chocolate. He knew every possible chemical variation and make up of any type of chocolate. If you were looking for a world expert on chocolate , this would be the ...[text shortened]... kit- kat and he begins to weep.

What's your favourite flavour of god? Where do you get this rubbish?
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 20:53
    Originally posted by Starrman
    What's your favourite flavour of god? Where do you get this rubbish?
    My favourite flavour? I think it's the unconditional tenderness and compassion flavour. Mmmmm...that feeling when he touches you deep inside and reminds you that even when you were being self destructive and turning away from him , he loved you just as much as ever with a passion 100 times more loving than a human father /son relationship. Mmmmm ....I'm addicted to it! Can't get enough of it! Ever since I tasted it nothing else this world has to offer can compare. I'm a hopeless addict.

You did ask.
  4. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 20:581 edit
    My favourite flavour? I think it's the unconditional tenderness and compassion flavour. Mmmmm...that feeling when he touches you deep inside and reminds you that even when you were being self destructive and turning away from him , he loved you just as much as ever with a passion 100 times more loving than a human father /son relationship. Mmmmm ....I t nothing else this world has to offer can compare. I'm a hopeless addict.

You did ask.
    If you read that out of context it sounds really dirty...😕
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:23
    Imagine a man had a PhD in chocolate and had spent his entire life studying chocolate. He had travelled the world studying chocolate in all its forms and had an entire attic full of books on chocolate. He knew every possible chemical variation and make up of any type of chocolate. If you were looking for a world expert on chocolate , this would be the ...[text shortened]... kit- kat and he begins to weep.

What about murder? It applies to that as well. Perhaps you are condoning that we all go out and murder people?
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:34
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    What about murder? It applies to that as well. Perhaps you are condoning that we all go out and murder people?
    I must say that this is one of the dumbest things I have heard you say scotty. It's not relevant and not even humourous really. How tired where you when you wrote this garbage?
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:383 edits
    I must say that this is one of the dumbest things I have heard you say scotty. It's not relevant and not even humourous really. How tired where you when you wrote this garbage?
    And how is a stupid analogy about chocolate and taste relevent to a discussion of God?

EDIT: Wait, I've got it, Chocolate is God.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:42
    My favourite flavour? I think it's the unconditional tenderness and compassion flavour. Mmmmm...that feeling when he touches you deep inside and reminds you that even when you were being self destructive and turning away from him , he loved you just as much as ever with a passion 100 times more loving than a human father /son relationship. Mmmmm ....I ...[text shortened]... t nothing else this world has to offer can compare. I'm a hopeless addict.

You did ask.
    Do you wanna get down on your knees and start pleasin' Jesus? Do
    you want to feel is salvation all over your face?
  9. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:443 edits
    But was the woman's kit-kat bar really made of chocolate, or simply chocolate substitute? How does she know she's really tasted chocolate? Perhaps the man truly knows chocolate better than the woman. Some might argue that american chocolate isn't really chocolate, in comparison to say, tasty swiss milk chocolate. Perhaps she's lead a life of purchasing fake chocolate.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:48
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    That post seems so far beneath you. Disappointing.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That post seems so far beneath you. Disappointing.
    That's probably my fault, I'm a cocorrupting influence.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 22:24
    I just read through your post again and it would equally well apply to a criminologist studying murder scenes.

So, again, should we all go out and commit murder so that we can know what it feels like?
  13. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 22:35
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I just read through your post again and it would equally well apply to a criminologist studying murder scenes.

So, again, should we all go out and commit murder so that we can know what it feels like?
    It really applies to anything we may have studied abstractly but not experienced.

I'd say that experience can help you with understanding some things but is not neccesary. Hannibal Lector helped understand psychotic murderers through experience of being one, but every real detective in the world understands murderers through unpracticed study.

I have trouble deluding myself into thinking I'm loved by people that don't exist, but that is just me. If you're willing to give up everything for religion, you obviously already believe, or want to anyway, so just get on with it and delude yourself. I doubt there are many non-believers that really wish God loved them. This story seems pretty pointless as an analogy for God. I'm fine with only being loved by real people.

Don't know why I replied this to your post Louis.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 22:37

More crap on gnosis versus episteme. You never addressed my questions in the other thread. For starters, what constitutes the 'real knowledge' you talk about. I want to know what criterial considerations you use to identify it.

Again, this is nothing more than pragmatic crap: you take experiences that you consider valuable, and you just equate conversance of those experiences with knowledge.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 22:43
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    That post seems so far beneath you. Hilarious.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree