Christian identity and gun culture

Christian identity and gun culture

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
17 Apr 23

In the U.S., can guns* as a symbol of cultural identity and Christianity - following Christ - as a cultural identity both coexist?

* by gun culture here I am referring not to the culture surrounding armed criminals and their activity, I am referring to complete opposition to gun ownership being "well-regulated" by people who do not commit crimes.

F

Moves
17 Apr 23

For example, a family photo for distribution to friends in celebration of Christmas, i.e. the birth of Christ, a family gathered around a Christmas tree, all ages, 8 years old, pre-teens, teens, parents, a grandparent or two, all holding assault rifles. Is such a photo a bona-fide Christian scene?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Apr 23

"Gun culture" as defined in America is strictly a result of the over-fascination in the Second Amendment to the US Constitution. Never mind that the barrel-loading musket is no longer the state of the art in personal protection. (As a result, the Second Amendment no longer applies.)

To conflate this with "Christian identity" is to give short shrift to the concept in American politics of a key function of government, which is to maintain a separation of church and state.

Both factions err when they conflate these two. I own several guns and I am a Christian, but I am not a gun owner because I am a Christian, and I am not a Christian because I am a gun owner.

In fact, Matthew 26:52 says: "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." This has long been taken to mean that Jesus advocated non-violence. So brandishing your gun in a Christmas photo should probably be seen as a ridiculous self-aggrandizing play, and not a guarantee that one is following Jesus.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Apr 23

@suzianne said
To conflate this with "Christian identity" is to give short shrift to the concept in American politics of a key function of government, which is to maintain a separation of church and state.
FMF didn’t say “Christian identity”.

You’re “missing the conversation” again Suzianne.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Apr 23
2 edits

@divegeester said
FMF didn’t say “Christian identity”.

You’re “missing the conversation” again Suzianne.
Read the thread title before whipping out one of your latest "shame insults".

THEN maybe you can respond to what I said.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Apr 23

@suzianne said

I stand corrected on the use of “Christian identity” in the thread title. I was focused on the text where on you claim that their is some conflation occurring.

Nevertheless the term “Christian identity” was indeed used in the title.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Apr 23

@suzianne said
I was lampooning your use of the same “shame insult” in the other thread.

But I suppose in your mind it’s ok if you do it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Apr 23

@suzianne said
Generally I don’t think there is any conflation in stating that guns and gun ownership have become largely synonymous with large swathes of American Christian identity. Especially on the right wing of Christian culture.

F

Moves
20 Apr 23

@fmf said
For example, a family photo for distribution to friends in celebration of Christmas, i.e. the birth of Christ, a family gathered around a Christmas tree, all ages, 8 years old, pre-teens, teens, parents, a grandparent or two, all holding assault rifles. Is such a photo a bona-fide Christian scene?
Is a Christmas card like this "sinful"?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
20 Apr 23

@fmf said
Is a Christmas card like this "sinful"?
Not sinful at all. There is nothing wrong with weapons of any kind. It is the abuse of weapons and using them to kill that is wrong and sinful. Weapons, like swords of long ago are necessary for self defense and hunting. Back to the Christmas photo. It can be called distasteful. Similarly a Christmas family photo of everyone in their underwear, would be in the same category.