1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 17:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does this shed light on the age of the earth in your view?
    What unit of measure [other than years] would be applicable to the age of planet earth which began before human history?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 17:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I believe I am human, and that I did observe the creation of the earth. Observation does not require a direct line of sight with photons going from the object/event in question to the human eye. Observation merely requires a causal chain of events such that the original event can be known by the human brain based on information it receives.
    I can be more ...[text shortened]... than you can about the location of the Ace of spades during a card trick right before your eyes.
    "I believe I am human, and that I did observe the creation of the earth..."

twhitehead, your recognition of faith perception made my online day. Thanks. Your findings "about the age of the earth"?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 18:29
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"I believe
    I am human, and that I did observe the creation of the earth..."

twhitehead, your recognition of faith perception made my online day. Thanks. Your findings "about the age of the earth"?[/b]
    'Faith perception' is a gobbledygook phrase you use that has no coherent content. We've been over this several times. Here is some history to jog your lazy memory on this:

Thread 153483
    Thread 153656
    Thread 154159
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 19:201 edit
    "I believe I am human, and that I did observe the creation of the earth..."

twhitehead, your recognition of faith perception made my online day. Thanks. Your findings "about the age of the earth"?
    I made no recognition of faith perception. Your reading perception leaves much to be desired.
    I have observed the earth to be billions of years old.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:02
    I believe I am human, and that I did observe the creation of the earth. Observation does not require a direct line of sight with photons going from the object/event in question to the human eye. Observation merely requires a causal chain of events such that the original event can be known by the human brain based on information it receives.
    I can be more ...[text shortened]... than you can about the location of the Ace of spades during a card trick right before your eyes.
    There is a causal chain that proceeds from the actual construction of the Eiffel Tower to this encyclopedia entry by virtue of which I come to know various things about the construction of the Eiffel Tower. But that doesn't entail that I have, in any way, observed the construction of the Eiffel Tower. On the other hand, if I were to see a video of the construction of the Eiffel Tower, there is certainly a sense in which I observed it.

The point is that not all causal chains between events and human knowledge of them are of the sort that constitute observation. This is actually a very complex epistemological issue.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:25
    No human being observed the creation of the earth. God's purpose in Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning [which was not the beginning] God created the heavens and the earth." wasn't to provide details but to reveal His power in creation.
    It is the beginning of the natural physical world under physical laws. Obviously, not the beginning of the spiritual world.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:26
    Originally posted by bbarr
    There is a causal chain that proceeds from the actual construction of the Eiffel Tower to this encyclopedia entry by virtue of which I come to know various things about the construction of the Eiffel Tower. But that doesn't entail that I have, in any way, observed the construction of the Eiffel Tower. On the other hand, if I were to see a video of the constr ...[text shortened]... of the sort that constitute observation. This is actually a very complex epistemological issue.
    "Observation" over here (if I read our whitehead well) occurs when the deterministic equations are abandoned for the sake of State Vector Reduction and the non-deterministic equations that make it up, therefore consciousness is not required (in QM there is nothing physical to describe this interaction, which is solely a mathematical construct; HereNow we do not have meaningful details handy for a physical explanation whenever a quantum of information is exchanged between the observer and the observed state vector reduction, that is)
    😵
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:28
    [b]"I believe
    I am human, and that I did observe the creation of the earth..."

twhitehead, your recognition of faith perception made my online day. Thanks. Your findings "about the age of the earth"?[/b]
    I didn't see anything in twhitehead's post that implicated anything about faith. He was making a point about the concept of observation.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:34
    There is a causal chain that proceeds from the actual construction of the Eiffel Tower to this encyclopedia entry by virtue of which I come to know various things about the construction of the Eiffel Tower. But that doesn't entail that I have, in any way, observed the construction of the Eiffel Tower. On the other hand, if I were to see a video of the constr ...[text shortened]... of the sort that constitute observation. This is actually a very complex epistemological issue.
    I suppose twhitehead has seen animated movies of the beginning of the universe and the evolution of life from the goo to the zoo to you. He apparently believes these fictional animations actually occurred.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:401 edit
    I didn't see anything in twhitehead's post that implicated anything about faith. He was making a point about the concept of observation.
    "I believe" rather than 'I know on the basis of empiricism or rationalism'.
    If you're familiar with Facebook, it was merely a friendly "Poke". -Bob
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:42
    I made no recognition of faith perception. Your reading perception leaves much to be desired.
    I have observed the earth to be billions of years old.
    "I have observed the earth to be billions of years old." -twhitehead
    Unsurprised. Have you considered publishing your scientific data?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '14 20:48
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    'Faith perception' is a gobbledygook phrase you use that has no coherent content. We've been over this several times. Here is some history to jog your lazy memory on this:

Thread 153483
    Thread 153656
    Thread 154159
    Thank you.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 01:58
    What unit of measure [other than years] would be applicable to the age of planet earth which began before human history?
    Another unit of measure is unnecessary. A year is the time it takes the earth to complete one rotation around the sun. Do scientific discoveries related to this topic ~ and this unit of measure ~ persuade you as to how many billions of years old the earth might be?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 02:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    Another unit of measure is unnecessary. A year is the time it takes the earth to complete one rotation around the sun. Do scientific discoveries related to this topic ~ and this unit of measure ~ persuade you as to how many billions of years old the earth might be?
    Obviously the answer is NO. 😏
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 02:22
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    'Faith perception' is a gobbledygook phrase you use that has no coherent content. We've been over this several times. Here is some history to jog your lazy memory on this: ... Thread 153656
    Ouch!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree