1. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '06 14:06
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    If there are no other takers, I would like to suggest a topic.

What importance does the church hold for the believer? Specifically, where are the lines drawn wherein the church is a positive institution versus a negative one?

Naturally, as is told by the scriptures it is good for us to commune with fellow believers. This is only right and natural. ...[text shortened]... , if not specifically, interested in the Christian perspective.

Best Regards,

Omnislash
    I'm not sure if you are talking about Christians sharing the Gospel with others or organized churches trying to influence their communitiy. I'll assume the later.

Mostly, I agree with you. The point of a Christian church is to bring an individual into a relationship with God. The individual should affect society through his/her actions in his/her everyday life.

The problem the Christian church (at least in the USA) has today is the message being preached. The people of our society are no longer willing to accept responsibility for their actions (as evidenced in our courts) and so the Church as stopped preaching the judgement of God so they can keep their pews filled and the lights on. Not every church does this, buy many. The end result of this lovie-dovie message is that church goers no longer inspect their lives for sin and thus live lives that aren't in keeping with Scripture, but call themselves Christians because of this club they meet at once a week on Sundays.

The selection of a chuch for a true Christian is extremely important. I advocate church shopping. Find a church that teaches the whole message of God, right from the Book. That's a church that is functioning properly and will be a great benefit to its members. Anything short of this is doing its member a disservice by not preaching the WHOLE message of God.

A wise preacher once said, "A church is like a signpost to heaven. I can't get to heaven by sitting in a pew any more than I can get to Denver by sitting on the "Denver 400 miles" sign." Christianity is a lifestyle, not something we do for 1 hour a week. And that lifestyle affects our communities through our actions and our votes.

But that's just my opinion.
    DF
  2. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    06 Feb '06 18:58
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    windmill.......are you feeling alright? 😕
    If I have the story straight:

Windmill is a non-adult whose mother was in the hospital and thus he was living with his sister. He had a vacation flag up with a message explaining the situation. Some of his opponents timed him out of the games that expired while he was on vacation. He's been angry at everyone here since, although I'm fairly sure he didn't lose more than a dozen games, if that many. My guess is that he's not old enough to pick up the pieces and move on, or compare the incredibly high number of players on the site with the incredibly low number of people who timed him out. It's easier to just blame all of us for the what some people did (and which he knew they had a right to do when he signed up for the games). Some people's profiles are very clear that they'll claim the time-out no matter what. Eventually he'll either do the math and realize what a huge mistake he's making by blaming all of us for his anger or he'll get counseling or he'll quit the site or he'll grow up or he'll stay mad forever because it's easier to be angry than intelligent.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 06:10
    Originally posted by DragonFriend

A wise preacher once said, "A church is like a signpost to heaven. I can't get to heaven by sitting in a pew any more than I can get to Denver by sitting on the "Denver 400 miles" sign." Christianity is a lifestyle, not something we do for 1 hour a week. And that lifestyle affects our communities through our actions and our votes.

But that's just my opinion.
    DF[/b]
    No where in the Bible does it say we must go to church. What it does say is not to forsake the assembling of yourselves together with other nonbelievers. This is important for two reasons. The first reason is that we are social beings. We need to interact with others to not only learn about other people but most importantly to learn about ourselves. Those whom we choose to interact with will therefore have a dramatic effect on how we grow or do not grow as people and as christians. If we do not fellowship with other christians we are choosing to fellowship only with those who are spiritually dead. As the Bible says commands us, do not be unequally yoked. I think this verse has wrongly only been used to refer to whom christians should marry. As the Bible says, what fellowship has light with darkeness? This does not mean to shut ourselves off from the rest of the world, but rather, to have an outlet to recharge our batteries so to speak.
    After all, we are commanded to go out into the world and be a light to those who are consumed with spiritual darkness.

The second reason is that there is strength in numbers. As the Bible says one can chase a 1,000 and ten can chase 10,000. Another verse comes to mind about two or more gathered in the name of Christ is more effective than merely one who is alone. We plainly see the value in numbers when fighting a worldly battle of some kind but rarely make the connection when fighting spiritual battles within our lives and within the lives of others.

What I have against the church mainly stems from what I see is a lack of fellowship. The original church used to be held in small homes and were for the most part secret meetings in an atmosphere of christian persecution. The groups were tight so to speak and were necessarily so in order for everyone in the group to evade persecution. They did not meet only once every seven days for an hour or two and then go home. They were involved deeply in each others lives and depended on each other to meet each others needs. Today someone who goes to church sings a few songs, listens to a message that lasts about an hour or two, says a few prayers and then goes home. Where did the christian fellowship go?
  4. Meddling with things
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 08:18
    I'd like to start a thread where Christians can talk about Christian issues amongst themselves.

This thread isn't intended for debates or external opinions. So skeptics, I'd ask you to please ignore this thread as there are plenty of other threads for you to speak your voice on. If you read something here you want to talk about, please start another thread to do so.

So, any takers?

DF
    Its a public forum and I'll post if I want. why don't you go to a christian website if you feel the need to exclude the rest of us.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 19:31
    Originally posted by reader1107

Windmill is a non-adult whose mother was in the hospital and thus he was living with his sister. He had a vacation flag up with a message explaining the situation. Some of his opponents timed him out of the games that expired while he was on vacation. He's been angry at everyone here since, although I'm fairly sure he d ...[text shortened]... row up or he'll stay mad forever because it's easier to be angry than intelligent.
    Thanks. That explains a bit.
  6. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 19:34
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Its a public forum and I'll post if I want. why don't you go to a christian website if you feel the need to exclude the rest of us.
    You're right, it is a public forum. And I'm asking you nicely to partake of one of the other 100s of threads on it and let the Christians discuss christianity amongs ourselves on this one. If you read a topic here you'd like to discuss, open another thread and discuss it. I'm sure we'll contribute.

The point of this thread is to discuss points of christianity without having to delve into the details of why a particular belief or position is taken. If I weren't a christian, I'd probably find the topics of this thread boring. Are you truly interested in different ways to share the Gospel with people?

It's a simple request. One I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to honor.

DF
  7. Belfast
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 22:15
    without having to delve into the details of why a particular belief or position is taken.
    Christianity at its best.
  8. Meddling with things
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 22:38
    You're right, it is a public forum. And I'm asking you nicely to partake of one of the other 100s of threads on it and let the Christians discuss christianity amongs ourselves on this one. If you read a topic here you'd like to discuss, open another thread and discuss it. I'm sure we'll contribute.

The point of this thread is to discuss points of chr ...[text shortened]... e?

It's a simple request. One I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to honor.

DF
    Thread looks a bit weak. You need a little sizzle from the boys who'll burn in hell
  9. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 02:56
    Question: do you find it more affective to share the Gospel with unbelievers by focusing on God's love or focusing on God's judgement?

DF
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 03:49
    Question: do you find it more affective to share the Gospel with unbelievers by focusing on God's love or focusing on God's judgement?

DF
    Question: Why do Christians act so condescendingly?

NOTE: Condescendingly means to talking down to.
  11. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 04:05
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ

I suggest you open a new thread and we can discuss it.

DF
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 04:06
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ

"To talking down to?"
    What, are you going to hell, or something?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 17:36
    Originally posted by reader1107

Windmill is a non-adult whose mother was in the hospital and thus he was living with his sister. He had a vacation flag up with a message explaining the situation. Some of his opponents timed him out of the games that expired while he was on vacation. He's been angry at everyone here since, although I'm fairly sure he d ...[text shortened]... row up or he'll stay mad forever because it's easier to be angry than intelligent.
    maybe windmill has a right to be angry at everyone here?why do you create a situation you know little about?he also has his own life,so why do you want to take ownership of what isn't yours?do you love him or something?
  14. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    09 Feb '06 18:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree