1. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 22:47
    Are there infinitely many twin primes? That's a proper question to get one's teeth into. None of this mucking about with fairytale nonsense.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 22:51
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Are there infinitely many twin primes? That's a proper question to get one's teeth into. None of this mucking about with fairytale nonsense.
    I might be rare among pure mathematicians for not caring much about the prime numbers, but almost certainly there are an infinitude of twin primes.

A topic more for the science forum, I reckon.
  3. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 22:54
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I might be rare among pure mathematicians for not caring much about the prime numbers, but almost certainly there are an infinitude of twin primes.

A topic more for the science forum, I reckon.
    Ah, but do you have a proof? If not then there is no certainty and the question remains. It's still a better exercise for the noggin than worrying about fairy tale monsters and such like.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:09
    Ah, but do you have a proof? If not then there is no certainty and the question remains. It's still a better exercise for the noggin than worrying about fairy tale monsters and such like.
    Of course I don't have a proof. But if I had to place my money on one conjecture or the other, I'd place it on the one that posits an infinite number of twin primes.

I see you haven't posted on any forums in almost three years. Welcome back!
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:09

Seems I read a post the other day that suggested,
    "Some infinities are greater than other infinities."
    Meaning?
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Seems I read a post the other day that suggested,
    "Some infinities are greater than other infinities."
    Meaning?
    Bigger. Larger in size, if size has a meaning for infinities. For example, there are an infinite number of natural numbers (those we count with, 1, 2, 3 etc.) and an infinite number of real numbers (integers, fractions and irrational numbers like root two and pi) but there are more reals than natural numbers.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:23
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM
    Exactly.

Good clip.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:29
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Sheriff Joe Biden will be coming to see you in 2013.

He'll be looking for that .44 of yours.

🙂
    And he can't have it, neither.

I don't actually have a .44, mine's only a .380 Beretta. Nice gun for women.

A .44 would blow my *arm* "clean off" from the recoil.

Besides, we here in the great county of Maricopa have our own stupid "Sheriff Joe". Arpaio, not Biden.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:462 edits

Bigger. Larger in size, if size has a meaning for infinities. For example, there are an infinite number of natural numbers (those we count with, 1, 2, 3 etc.) and an infinite number of real numbers (integers, fractions and irrational numbers like root two and pi) but there are more reals than natural numbers.
    'Infinity (symbol: &#8734) refers to something without any limit, and is a concept relevant in a number of fields, predominantly mathematics and physics. The English word infinity derives from Latin infinitas, which can be translated as "unboundedness", itself derived from the Greek word apeiros, meaning "endless".[1] ~wiki

Way beyond my frame of reference but the word "unboundedness" can't help but appeal.
    -
  10. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 23:56
    'Infinity (symbol: &#8734) refers to something without any limit, and is a concept relevant in a number of fields, predominantly mathematics and physics. The English word infinity derives from Latin infinitas, which can be translated as [b]"unboundedness", itself derived from the Greek word apeiros, meaning "endless".[1] ~wiki

Way beyond my frame of reference but the word "unboundedness" can't help but appeal.
    -[/b]
    How can something boundless be greater than another boundless thing? Well, in the case of the numbers I quoted earlier the natural numbers are countable, that's what we do with them, but the reals are not. There are literally too many to count because between every pair of them there is an infinite number of other real numbers lurking. It doesn't matter how close those two numbers get, you always have room for more between them. And to make matters worse, most of those numbers are irrational, the ones we can't write down exactly.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 00:01
    'Infinity (symbol: &#8734) refers to something without any limit, and is a concept relevant in a number of fields, predominantly mathematics and physics. The English word infinity derives from Latin infinitas, which can be translated as [b]"unboundedness", itself derived from the Greek word apeiros, meaning "endless".[1] ~wiki

-[/b]
    But do not be fooled.

"Unbounded" does not always mean "infinite".

The surface of a sphere is "unbounded", but it is definitely not "infinite".
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 03:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    But do not be fooled.

"Unbounded" does not always mean "infinite".

The surface of a sphere is "unbounded", but it is definitely not "infinite".
    Eternity Past) -------------------- [time /\ human history] ------------------- (Eternity Future
  13. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 11:16
    [b]Eternity Past) -------------------- [time /\ human history] ------------------- (Eternity Future[/b]
    Time is not unbounded although it may be infinite. It had a beginning when this universe began. Whether or not it has an end in the other direction depends on things like the amount of mass, both sorts, in the universe and whether or not dark energy is real or just physicists making it up as they go along. The evidence suggests the observed expansion of the universe is accelerating but no one understands why.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 11:30

Time is not unbounded although it may be infinite. It had a beginning when this universe began. Whether or not it has an end in the other direction depends on things like the amount of mass, both sorts, in the universe and whether or not dark energy is real or just physicists making it up as they go along. The evidence suggests the observed expansion of the universe is accelerating but no one understands why.
    http://bible.cc/2_peter/3-10.htm
  15. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 11:51
    http://bible.cc/2_peter/3-10.htm
    I don't think Peter knew any more, or even as much, about how time and space work as we do now. I am also not in favour of the god of the gaps idea. That is, I am not in favour of using god(s) like wallpaper to paper over the gaps in our knowledge. I am quite happy to admit that I have not the foggiest idea whether god or gods exist but can say that so far "I have no need of the god hypothesis" (Simon Laplace).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree