1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 10:191 edit
    In another thread I am trying to explain the idea of compounded error. This is where a Christian, or in fact anyone, can test doctrines by combining them in a simple thought exercise to see what comes out the other side.

Here are some examples:

Predestination + eternal suffering = some people being predestined to be tortured by Jesus in hell.

Rejection of [insert favourite precious doctrine] + eternal suffering = genuine honest error puts me in eternal flames

Killing in OT is righteous because it is commanded by God + God never changes = if God tells me to blow up a mosque I will do it
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 12:12
    @divegeester said
    In another thread I am trying to explain the idea of compounded error. This is where a Christian, or in fact anyone, can test doctrines by combining them in a simple thought exercise to see what comes out the other side.

Here are some examples:

Predestination + eternal suffering = some people being predestined to be tortured by Jesus in hell.

Rejection of [inse ...[text shortened]... ecause it is commanded by God + God never changes = if God tells me to blow up a mosque I will do it
    Yours is the confounded error. By your erroneous use of the language of the Bible and by you insertion of extra-biblical terms you have confounded the clear teaching of scripture in regards to whatever hated doctrine you fear.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 12:14
    @secondson said
    Yours is the confounded error. By your erroneous use of the language of the Bible and by you insertion of extra-biblical terms you have confounded the clear teaching of scripture in regards to whatever hated doctrine you fear.
    I look forward to seeing some examples which demonstrably support your blurt.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 12:21
    @divegeester said
    I look forward to seeing some examples which demonstrably support your blurt.
    Read your posts.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 12:21
    @secondson said
    Read your posts.
    Excellent retort.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 12:34
    @divegeester said
    Excellent retort.
    Understand I don't have a problem with one arguing with what another man says, but when one argues with what God has inspired to be written is where I take umbrage.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 12:57
    @secondson said
    Would one of those 'extra-biblical terms' be 'Trinity'?
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:15
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Would one of those 'extra-biblical terms' be 'Trinity'?
    Terms "extra-biblical", concerning the context of this and other threads, refers to terms used that mischaracterize the meaning of scripture and its clear teachings.

Why argue over a word? If one doesn't believe the Bible teaches that God is three Devine personalities in one, then one should just say so, and not use the term "trinity", and the lack of it in scripture, as proof against the firmly held doctrine of the evangelical church.

Let the scriptures speak for themselves.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 13:20
    @secondson said
    Terms "extra-biblical", concerning the context of this and other threads, refers to terms used that mischaracterize the meaning of scripture and its clear teachings.
    Ah, so you did mean Trinity.

🤔
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:21
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Ah, so you did mean Trinity.

🤔
    My good man! I never ever use the term. It would be sacrilege. 😉
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:25
    @secondson said
    If one doesn't believe the Bible teaches that God is three Devine personalities in one, then one should just say so, and not use the term "trinity", and the lack of it in scripture, as proof against the firmly held doctrine of the evangelical church.
    The Bible doesn’t teach, the spirit does, and it doesn’t teach this “three personalities” nonsense.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 23:14
    @divegeester said
    The Bible doesn’t teach, the spirit does, and it doesn’t teach this “three personalities” nonsense.
    Titus 2:11,12
    For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
    Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Teaching - 23 times.

Teach - 33 times.

Look them all up. Not once does it say the spirit teaches.

Acts 18:11
    And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

Believers teach, preach and learn from God's Word.

Romans 12:2
    And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The "renewing of your mind" is accomplished by the absorption of Gods Word.

Without the Holy Spirit it is impossible to understand it.

Ephesians 3:3-5
    How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
    Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
    Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

The truth of God's Word is revealed by "the Spirit" through the knowledge of the Word of God. The more one knows about the Word of God the more one knows God by the Spirit of God.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 23:44
    @secondson said
    Titus 2:11,12
    For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
    Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Teaching - 23 times.

Teach - 33 times.

Look them all up. Not once does it say the spirit teaches.

Acts 18:11
    And he continued there a year and six m ...[text shortened]... e Word of God. The more one knows about the Word of God the more one knows God by the Spirit of God.
    Yes, believers teach. The bible is text.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    30 Nov '18 03:21
    @divegeester said
    Yes, believers teach. The bible is text.
    The words in the text are inspired. They are the words God specifically selected for our learning. They are the words of life.

Matthew 4:4
    But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

One cannot underestimate the value of God's Word to the Christian.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '18 03:29
    @secondson said
    Why argue over a word?
    Because churches like sonship's insist that if one does not accept what they claim the word "Triune" refers to, then a believer in Jesus might face torture for eternity. That word "Triune" must be accepted in order for someone to be "saved". That's just for example.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree