1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 14:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    What if these efforts do not work?
    Sometimes they don't as every situation is different. But one has to try all things to repair the marrige if one views this as something God does take very serioulsy.
    And if one does take God's view seriously they will have to be clear in knowing that God says any sexual relations outside of that marriage is adultry.
    The only grounds that would allow either marriage mate to pursue another relationship, is if that marriage is both legally and biblically cancelled. Then they are free to remarry.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 15:08
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sometimes they don't as every situation is different. But one has to try all things to repair the marrige if one views this as something God does take very serioulsy.
    And if one does take God's view seriously they will have to be clear in knowing that God says any sexual relations outside of that marriage is adultry.
    The only grounds that would allow ...[text shortened]... , is if that marriage is both legally and biblically cancelled. Then they are free to remarry.
    So we agree that Divorce is not, in and of itself, "immoral"?
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 15:302 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    So we agree that Divorce is not, in and of itself, "immoral"?
    Not really as there are many reasons that couples may decide to get a divorce.
    If the divorce is caused by unfathfulness by one of the mates, that is immoral.
    If the divorce is caused by some other issue, lets say because of the love of money, maybe gambling, that is immoral because God condemnns that.
    If the divorce is caused by them just falling out of love, that is not immoral and is a sad thing to see. But it will probably lead to one or even both of them to eventually commit adultry. That is immoral.
    If they do get a divorce and nothing they do would be labeld as immoral such as adultry, they are still going against God's commands to not get a divorce unless adultry is involved.
    So from my view, divorce and immorality will almost go hand in hand if one views this issue from God's standpoint.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 15:47
    My point being, these "reasons" may involve "immorality" but divorce is not, in and of itself, "immoral". On this I think we agree.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 22:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    'Condemning divorce is not a moral stance.' Thoughts?
    Two people, like each other so much at some point in time, they promise each other they want to spend their lives together and formalise this sentiment through the ritual of marriage. Then at some future point in time, at least one of them realises the arrangement isn't working out for them - or that they don't like the other as much as they did when they got married, or that they like someone else even more, or whatever... and the decision is made that they will no longer spend the rest of their lives together.

Nothing to condemn - I certainly fail to see anything morally decent about the condemnation of divorce.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 22:56
    If the divorce is caused by unfathfulness by one of the mates, that is immoral.
    If the divorce is caused by some other issue, lets say because of the love of money, maybe gambling, that is immoral because God condemnns that.
    If the divorce is caused by them just falling ...[text shortened]... orce and immorality will almost go hand in hand if one views this issue from God's standpoint.
    God doesn't exist so that standpoint is irrelevant.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 00:46
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    God doesn't exist so that standpoint is irrelevant.
    Ok... I think it is as God does exist. So there..Lol
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 15:33
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Two people, like each other so much at some point in time, they promise each other they want to spend their lives together and formalise this sentiment through the ritual of marriage. Then at some future point in time, at least one of them realises the arrangement isn't working out for them - or that they don't like the other as much as they did when they got ...[text shortened]... o condemn - I certainly fail to see anything morally decent about the condemnation of divorce.
    Isn't it time to take out the whole 'till death do us part' bit?

Why make promises you can't keep?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 15:39
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Isn't it time to take out the whole 'till death do us part' bit?

Why make promises you can't keep?
    Because some people intend to keep them at the time (and some do keep them). One might as well say 'never make promises as you can never guarantee you will keep them'.
    I see nothing wrong with making a promise you intend to keep and later breaking it if you are unable to keep it.
    Of course if you go into marriage with no intention of sticking with it, then be clear and honest with your partner that that is your intention.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 15:532 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Because some people intend to keep them at the time (and some do keep them). One might as well say 'never make promises as you can never guarantee you will keep them'.
    I see nothing wrong with making a promise you intend to keep and later breaking it if you are unable to keep it.
    Of course if you go into marriage with no intention of sticking with it, then be clear and honest with your partner that that is your intention.
    I can see not keeping a promise in extreme circumstances - spousal abuse, infidelity, etc.

But that's probably not the majority of cases. Marriage has become like employment in the US - "at will" - can be ended at any time by any party for any reason. The marriage 'vows' are just some meaningless traditional ritual.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 16:27
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    But that's probably not the majority of cases. Marriage has become like employment in the US - "at will" - can be ended at any time by any party for any reason. The marriage 'vows' are just some meaningless traditional ritual.
    Well where I come from, marriage is still taken very seriously. As I said, if those in the US do not actually plan to stay married, then they should as you say change the vows and make it clear to each other at the time that it is only temporary.
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 17:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well where I come from, marriage is still taken very seriously. As I said, if those in the US do not actually plan to stay married, then they should as you say change the vows and make it clear to each other at the time that it is only temporary.
    kind of like the vows of ming the merciless.

Priest: Do you, Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe take this Earthling, Dale Arden to be your Empress of the hour?
    Ming: (pause) of the hour, Yes.
    Priest: Do you promise to use her as you will?
    Ming: (pause, then very slyly) Certainly!
    Priest: Not to blast her into space?
    Ming: (silence)
    Priest: ....Until such time as you get the whim....?
    Ming: I do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree