1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:492 edits
    Dan Triola died unexpectedly. His daughter posted on both the General and the Debates forums. I didn’t know him at all, really (not even as much as I know some people just from RHP)), but I knew the name. I was just quoting a post that he had written to my wife, the other day. It somehow makes me sad that this person is no more.

And so, I just wanted to start a thread for him, in this otherwise contentious forum—in which I am not aware that he participated. Does it matter?

This is just in requiem Dan Triola—
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:51
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Dan Triola died unexpectedly. His daughter posted on both the General and the Debates forums. I didn’t know him at all, really (not even as much as I know some people just from RHP)), but I knew the name. I was just quoting a post that he had written to my wife, the other day. It somehow makes me sad that this person is no more.

And so, I just want ...[text shortened]... ch I am not aware that he participated. Does it matter?

Yes, I felt a similar pang. Not sure why.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes, I felt a similar pang. Not sure why.
    Yes. Maybe that is our particular koan, my old friend. Maybe we should both pay attention to that, rather than whatever else it was we were (maybe) arguing about.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 18:46

And so, I just want ...[text shortened]... ch I am not aware that he participated. Does it matter?

This makes me sad. I liked Dan, he read good books.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 04:09

[Reposted from the General Forum]
    Originally posted by DanTriola

"This is Margaret, DanTriola's other daughter. The obituary you saw is for his brother, my uncle who passed away. Also, here is a link to where you can read the obituary for my father. www.miznerfuneralhome.com"

Thanks for your father's obituary, Margret. Having already messaged my condolences to your sister, Amelia, I extend them here to you. We're all grateful to the two of you for your thoughtfulness in providing timely notification and closure.

Bill Morris and I became close friends in the Spring of 2012 following his personal message about an obscure movie I had commented on in a public forum thread. The scope and depth of his knowledge on movies, little known anecdotal trivia about actors and producers and novels was incredible. Within a month, we had three installment personal messages in progress (reciprocating with batch replies every few days): One on movies past and present with recommendations and on books we had both read; one on his OTB Chess Interests and Chess Masters and my own early mentors at the Boylston Chess Club in Boston; and one Dr. Morris devoted to providing medical guidance (often with humor) concerning recovery from my paralysis and preferred medications to alleviate the discomforts of lower leg neuropathy which followed.

He also stressed the importance of correct diet and became interested in the weekly menus at the rehabilitation facility, giving me his mailing address for the purpose of sending one of the few saved as memorabilia. Sent it the next day. His advice was invaluable. Our dialogue concluded Spring of 2013 as he had begun to prepare for PA Chess Events and family vacation to the shores. Bill's erudition and idiosyncratic style of expression, objectivity and candor, generosity and kindness I appreciated. His friendship I valued; the man himself, I loved as a brother (still young at the age of sixty five). -Bob

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree