1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 10:30
    Beautiful Hymn - Where Will You Spend Eternity ?

by Elisha Hoffman

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/w/wwyseter.htm
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 13:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    True democracy? Thats real power to the people(again, easy to say).
    Not necessarily a good thing. People often do not know what is good for them.

How about the Tibetan model, where the spiritual leader is also the political leader?
    I thought the Communists were the political leaders in Tibet. I could be wrong.

I see that as a good start.
    And I strongly disagree. A spiritual leadership model is one of the most undemocratic systems available. I know it works out sometimes, but it is just like a dictatorship in that it is entirely dependent on who you get as to whether it is good or bad.
    I believe the best government possible is a benevolent dictator, however, since those are hard to come by, I tend to settle for democracy.

I dont claim to have all the answers here but there are clearly glaring problems-and with America posessing 90% of the worlds wealth with only 10% of the worlds population, surely some of the answers will have to come from there. They must lead the way into a ...Brave new world.
    Don't forget that that 90% of wealth is largely borrowed (mostly from China). The balance is slowly shifting. Hopefully it will shift by the rest of us catching up rather than the US getting pulled down. It is far better that we all live in wealth than we all live in poverty. I only object to the US being wealthy when they use their wealth to the detriment of others.
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not necessarily a good thing. People often do not know what is good for them.

[b]How about the Tibetan model, where the spiritual leader is also the political leader?

I thought the Communists were the political leaders in Tibet. I could be wrong.

I see that as a good start.
    And I strongly disagree. A spiritual leadership model is one o ...[text shortened]... y. I only object to the US being wealthy when they use their wealth to the detriment of others.[/b]
    Tibet has a government in exile in the Indian state of Kashmir. The Dalai Lama is working to convert that government to a completely democratic model where he (or his successor) would only occupy a ceremonial position. (He is actually facing internal opposition.)

The real point of this discussion is that without economic power the power to vote is meaningless. The pro-business supreme court in the USA is about to allow any business to spend as much as they like promoting any candidate they like (more generous rules than actual citizens have.) So the hidden purchase of government influence is about to become public and fully legal. At that point we will just be haggling about the price of our so-called democracy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree