1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    11 Nov '05 20:34
    The subject of Deism came up in another thread, but I think the Deist belief system is worthy of a fuller discussion. It is a belief in a God without the hocus pocus of the "revealed" religions like Christianity. I'll re-post what I said in the Agnostic Forum thread:

    Here's a Deist website with a FAQ: http://www.deism.com/deism_defined.htm

    I'm not a Deist, but I'd answer your questions based on my understanding of Deism as follows:

    It would be more correct to say that they're not sure what God's "business" is.

    They believe God exists because they reason it is likely there was a Creator. They were big on the idea of the Watchmaker - the universe is intricate, intricate things are designed, etc. etc. More recent scientific findings that the universe's forces are within narrow limits that allow life would be consistent with this viewpoint (though there are alternate explanations like "many universes" and "MetaLaws".

    EDIT: Here's a rather beautiful quote from Tom Paine that is on the cited website:

    "I consider myself in the hands of my Creator, and that he will dispose of me after this life consistently with His justice and goodness. I leave all these matters to Him, as my Creator and friend, and I hold it to be presumption in man to make an article of faith as to what the Creator will do with us hereafter."

    So, any takers?
  2. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    11 Nov '05 20:41
    I don't know but I like this idea.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    11 Nov '05 20:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The subject of Deism came up in another thread, but I think the Deist belief system is worthy of a fuller discussion. It is a belief in a God without the hocus pocus of the "revealed" religions like Christianity. I'll re-post what I said in the Agnostic Forum thread:

    Here's a Deist website with a FAQ: http://www.deism.com/deism_defined.htm

    I' ...[text shortened]... an article of faith as to what the Creator will do with us hereafter."

    So, any takers?
    It's certainly more defensible than mainstream christianity. Of course, deists were called atheists in Tom Paine's day.
  4. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Joined
    13 Aug '03
    Moves
    21735
    11 Nov '05 21:01
    Hmmm....

    If the symbol

    of the Christian

    is a cross,

    then is the symbol

    of the deist

    a big

    fat

    question mark?

    😲
  5. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    9020
    11 Nov '05 21:052 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The subject of Deism came up in another thread, but I think the Deist belief system is worthy of a fuller discussion. It is a belief in a God without the hocus pocus of the "revealed" religions like Christianity. I'll re-post what I said in the Agnostic Forum thread:

    Here's a Deist website with a FAQ: http://www.deism.com/deism_defined.htm

    I' ...[text shortened]... an article of faith as to what the Creator will do with us hereafter."

    So, any takers?
    Sounds like a Unitarian to me.

    And it certainly sounds better than most of the belief systems we've got out there now.

    EDIT: For Coletti:

    What does the KKK do when they find out that a Unitarian has moved into their neighborhood?

    They burn a question mark on his lawn.
  6. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Joined
    13 Aug '03
    Moves
    21735
    11 Nov '05 21:50
    Originally posted by wib
    Sounds like a Unitarian to me.

    And it certainly sounds better than most of the belief systems we've got out there now.

    EDIT: For Coletti:

    What does the KKK do when they find out that a Unitarian has moved into their neighborhood?

    They burn a question mark on his lawn.
    😀

    What do you get when you combine a Unitarian with a Mormon,


    guys who go around in pairs knocking on doors for no particular reason.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    12 Nov '05 06:01
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Hmmm.... If the symbol of the Christian is a cross, then is the symbol of the deist a big fat question mark?
    The convenient thing about deism, it seems, is that you can chuck all the mumbo-jumbo out the window. But what ends when the symbols shatter?
Back to Top