1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    17 Mar '08 01:052 edits
    A well-crafted documentary on pedophile Catholic priest Oliver O'Grady and some of his victims and their families.

    What was particularly striking was how uncaring O'Grady and most of the Church officials seemed to be toward the victims and their families. O'Grady just didn't seem to really understand how devastating the effect his actions were. The Church officials seemed intent on protecting the power structure and finances of the Church and/or themselves with little regard to the widespread and ongoing devastation that their policies wrought.

    The only stand-up guy from the church seemed to be Father Tom Doyle, who evidently was reprimanded several times by the Church for his attempts to do right by the victims and their families and to change the culture that allowed such widespread abuse to thrive. Everyone else from the Pope on down seemed corrupt.

    Anyone care to share their views about the film or the topic?
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    27860
    17 Mar '08 03:09
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    A well-crafted documentary on pedophile Catholic priest Oliver O'Grady and some of his victims and their families.

    What was particularly striking was how uncaring O'Grady and most of the Church officials seemed to be toward the victims and their families. O'Grady just didn't seem to really understand how devastating the effect his actions were. The Ch ...[text shortened]... ope on down seemed corrupt.

    Anyone care to share their views about the film or the topic?
    Timely. Last night I was looking at the Tucson web site that names and shames. It includes dates and parishes. One thing I noticed was that MANY were sent to the same places. For example, it looks like Sacred Heart Parish in Nogales, Arizona had a whole series of perps, one after the other. There were a bunch of parishes like that.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    17 Mar '08 11:37
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Timely. Last night I was looking at the Tucson web site that names and shames. It includes dates and parishes. One thing I noticed was that MANY were sent to the same places. For example, it looks like Sacred Heart Parish in Nogales, Arizona had a whole series of perps, one after the other. There were a bunch of parishes like that.
    That's really shameful. The more you look, the uglier it gets.

    So far as I know, the Church still doesn't really take responsibilty. For example, they have their dioceses file for bankruptcy protection rather than pay sexual abuse claims. I don't know how anyone can look at the Church as being anything holy or righteous in face of all the evidence to the contrary.
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    443
    17 Mar '08 13:46
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    That's really shameful. The more you look, the uglier it gets.

    So far as I know, the Church still doesn't really take responsibilty. For example, they have their dioceses file for bankruptcy protection rather than pay sexual abuse claims. I don't know how anyone can look at the Church as being anything holy or righteous in face of all the evidence to the contrary.
    What do you mean by "the church" ? Is it some nebulus term you use to tar a whole load of people with the same brush?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    17 Mar '08 14:15
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    What do you mean by "the church" ? Is it some nebulus term you use to tar a whole load of people with the same brush?
    You're probably one of the few people who would have trouble comprehending what "the Church" means in the context of these posts. Have you resumed following me around hoping to find something to disparage? How old did you say you were?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    17 Mar '08 14:36
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    What do you mean by "the church" ? Is it some nebulus term you use to tar a whole load of people with the same brush?
    by "church" he means the organisation known as the catholic church. he doesn't say that catholics are paedophiles or that catholic priests are. it simply says the head office of Catholic Inc., the vatican would do anything to protect its power structure and its traditions rather than what they are meant in the first place: its followers.

    pope john paul the II was a nice granpa. benedict is a jerk
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    21 Mar '08 01:25
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

    Anyone care to share their views about the film or the topic?
    This is a very important movie for people to see.
Back to Top