1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 06:21
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think it was the interpretation of the Law. Also as Christ pointed out the Sabbath was made for man and not vice versa. Jesus fully breaks down the Pharisees they had no good reply for Him. I think when infused with God's spirit you will do the Law but it's from a different point of view. The spirit of the Law stamped on our hearts is what I think God w ...[text shortened]... never intended. Our friend vistesd maybe able to in lighten us on this for sure.

Manny
    there are wonderful account in the Bible with Christ's wrangling with the Pharisees. i love the account where he spits on the ground and makes a kind of poultice with the mud and the saliva and smears it to the mans eyes. This was apparently work, which could not be done on the Sabbath! on this occasion Christ apparently broke the Pharisaical tradition by working on the Sabbath by making mud and applying it to a situation that was not life threatening! its amazing, the dude was blind! but it was not life threatening!
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 06:26
    Yeah that is an awesome account no doubt!! 🙂 Imagine that happening today? Also the account where Jesus says let the first one without sin cast the stone. Apparently Jesus was writing something in the dirt during this account. Not sure but maybe their sins??

Manny
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 06:31
    The account about the man who had the legion of demons in him. Then Jesus healed him and people saw the dude in his right mind?? They freaked LOL !! That account has always tripped me out. I know off subject but I was just thinking about it.

Manny
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 06:31
    I'm out for now. Have to be up early

Good subject.

Manny
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 07:34
    I think it was the interpretation of the Law. Also as Christ pointed out the Sabbath was made for man and not vice versa. Jesus fully breaks down the Pharisees they had no good reply for Him. I think when infused with God's spirit you will do the Law but it's from a different point of view. The spirit of the Law stamped on our hearts is what I think God w ...[text shortened]... never intended. Our friend vistesd maybe able to in lighten us on this for sure.

Manny
    Well, I’ll try, Manny—in my roundabout way. 🙂

Well, the first thing is that “law” as mentioned in the NT means Torah (primarily the “five books of Moses”, but sometimes it also refers to the whole of the Hebrew Scriptures). The Greek word used to translate Torah was nomos (in the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures, before the NT). But clearly all of Torah is not “law” in the legal sense, or in the sense of commandments.

Some Jewish writers follow that conventional translation in English, but others say that Torah is better translated as “teaching”, or even “the way”. (I use it almost exactly the way that a Taoist uses the word “Tao”.)

The Hebrew word for legal stuff, dealing with Biblical commandments (mitzvot) is halakhah. That clearly is part of Torah, too—and often what was in dispute. The rabbis did add lots of rulings (“ordinances” ) on the law/commandment parts of Torah. Partly that had to do with practical considerations: “Do we do it this way or that way? Does this count?” Etc., etc. And the rabbis do not always (or perhaps even often agree): Hillel says this, Shammai says that (Shammai was viewed as generally stricter than Hillel).

But also, rabbinical thought tends to argue from specifics to larger principles, rather than the other way around. One can read through pages of Talmud (which I am just beginning to do again, and in translation) and ask: “So who’s right?!” And: “Who cares?!” But the point is that underlying all the minutiae is a principle that the specifics and differing viewpoints (and all viewpoints are to be included) attempt to examine. Sometimes more than one principle.

As philosopher Emmanuel Levinas put it: “It is certain that, when discussing the right to eat or not to eat ‘an egg hatched on a holy day,’ or payments owed for damages caused by a ‘wild ox’, the sages of the Talmud are discussing neither an egg nor an ox but are arguing about fundamental ideas without appearing to do so.” [Levinas, Nine Talmudic Readings.] But the fundamental ideas (the underlying principles) are generally not alluded to. That is, according to Levinas, in part to assure that the opinions of the rabbis in the Talmud cannot be taken as dogma.

Now, it’s possible to get stuck in the specifics and miss the principle. And that may be what Jesus was saying that the Pharisees were tending to do (and maybe they were

A modern example: Reform Jews do not feel bound by the laws of kosher. They view them as generally historical artifacts, recorded in the Torah, that made sense at the time (it could be, not that long ago, risky to eat pork if it was not cooked carefully). But what might be an underlying principle behind kosher rules, that a Reform Jew might identify? Healthy eating, say. Orthodox Jews do follow kosher, and will not eat meat and milk products at the same meal. Now, I’m not saying that it is simply unhealthy to eat meat and milk products (such as cheese) together—but can you think ways in which separating the two, as a general rule, could lead one to fashion more “heart-healthy” meals? What other kosher rules might be examined the same way? (I don’t know, just asking.)

Now, that approach asks some questions that simply “declaring all foods clean” does not. (Although, if one asks: “What might be the ‘fundamental ideas’ behind such a declaration?”—one might also find all sorts of insights, that lead to further questions, that lead to further insights….)

If you ever want some light reading that bears on some of this, you might try Harry Kellerman’s “Rabbi Small” mystery series. The Rabbi uses Talmudic reasoning, as from the discussions about those oxen and eggs and such, to analyze human behavior in order to solve crimes.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 07:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is really wonderful, where does the admonition come for the oral law? is it in the bible (written Torah to you) i know that not all in the time of Christ accepted the oral law, the Sadducees for example rejected it, that cause they were sad-you-see (boom boom!) and even today i think that there are still many that reject it, although there are ...[text shortened]... es from. whatever, there is clearly no admonition to hate ones enemies, not in the written Law.
    Tough question. The tradition (I would say, the myth) is that it goes back to Sinai, where two Torah’s were given: the written and the oral. Well, even if one buys that, I would think it would have to be a kind of “bare-bones” oral torah—maybe just the principles of Oral Torah.

I think some say it goes back to Ezra, who read the Torah aloud and explained it.

Historically, I think it can only be traced back to something like the second century CE. It evolved and developed. It still is.

Oral Torah also includes, as I say, story aggadah as well as halakhah. The Midrashim are part of the Oral Torah (and for the kabbalists, so is the kabbalah). I have recently begun (again: it’s always been like one of those well-intentioned New Year’s resolutions) to study the weekly Torah portion every week. Along with that, I read whatever Midrash I can find (modern and traditional), and the weekly Haftorah, the reading from the Prophets that goes with that week’s Torah, and the Zohar—the kabbalist midrash that follows the Torah portions.

Each week, I try to finish by focusing on one piece of one story (maybe more, depending) and ponder it. Sometimes I just find the equivalent to a Zen koan to mull on. Last week it was Miriam leading the women in song and dance; then I looked up all the Biblical references to Miriam; then I started to work out a bit of my own midrash—“a midrash for Miriam”—in my head. I haven’t written it down yet, but I will work on it. This week? I don’t know yet.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 08:24
    I've always loved the Jewish aspect of this and many Christians kinda forget this.

Manny
    I think it can offer a lot of insights—without in any way challenging a Christian’s belief in Christ.

None of what I write here is intended to argue Judaism versus Christianity. I personally am a non-dualist (think Zen or Taoism), who follows that line in Judaism (where there is a very prominent non-dualist stream). I am not formally a Jew, by the way: I discovered quite late in life that I have a Jewish heritage (my grandmother revealed, shortly before she died at age 98, what had been kept as some family secret). I was intrigued, and started to study. I follow it as my own path, as deeply as I am able.

Here is a great Biblical koan (a koan is a kind of Zen puzzle, that can’t really be solved, but that can lead to insight):

God says to Moses: eheyeh asher eheyeh: “I am that I am”, or “I will be what I will be”, or—as Robbie told me the New World translation has it (if I remember right)—“I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be” (Robbie can correct me, if I got it wrong). That is God’s most essential self-statement. YHVH (Jehovah or Yahweh) is the third-person form; and it is a verb (as is eheyeh).

Now, if humans are “in the image” of YHVH, then that image reflects that eheyeh—again, a verb—at some essential level. And I’ll just leave it there, for you to ponder on your own (within the context of your own Christianity).

Shalom v’chaim: well-being and life! Be well.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 09:121 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I think it can offer a lot of insights—without in any way challenging a Christian’s belief in Christ.

None of what I write here is intended to argue Judaism versus Christianity. I personally am a non-dualist (think Zen or Taoism), who follows that line in Judaism (where there is a very prominent non-dualist stream). I am not formally a Jew, by the way ...[text shortened]... e context of your own Christianity).

Shalom v’chaim: well-being and life! Be well.
    it is beautiful!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 09:27
    i dont know how it is possible to get a proper understanding of Christianity without recourse to the ancient Hebrews, their lives, their customs, their triumphs and failings. Is it a different God or the same God? When one understands the background details, the scriptures come to life, Christ, his teachings, Paul and the difficult passages which can only properly be understood through a background knowledge of the ancient customs and practices of the Hebrews!
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:271 edit
    i also had very intense conversation with our friend thinkofone, in which he was adamant that Christ contradicted the law, and if he had knowledge of, would certainly have done so with the Pauls letters. I stated that i would take my case to the forum, so please, anyone that is interested please comment on this passage.

My line of reasoning was q s doing the same thing? you must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
    FWIW the following is what I actually posted. For whatever reason RC seems to not be able to comprehend my position.

You confuse the law of God with what is written. Not all that is written is the law of God. Jesus taught things contrary to the OT.

As an example:

Leviticus 24
    19 ‘If a man injures his neighbor, just as he has done, so it shall be done to him: 20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; just as he has injured a man, so it shall be inflicted on him. 21 ‘Thus the one who kills an animal shall make it good, but the one who kills a man shall be put to death.

Matthew 5
    38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.’ 39 “But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

There is no reason to believe that Jesus would have seen the whole of the NT as the law of God either.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 22:352 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    FWIW the following is what I actually posted. For whatever reason RC seems to not be able to comprehend my position.

[b]You confuse the law of God with what is written. Not all that is written is the law of God. Jesus taught things contrary to the OT.

As an example:

Leviticus 24
    19 ‘If a man injures his neighbor, just as he has do ...[text shortened]... to believe that Jesus would have seen the whole of the NT as the law of God either.
    [/b]
    oh i comprehend your position my friend, however alas, its of no substance, not in the light of our brilliant reasoning, but at present they are building a bonfire with a effigy of you upon it with, 'Paul was referring to cheap salvation', written across its forehead. i suggest you confess your sins to me and ill see what i can do to appease the angry mob 🙂
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 00:46
    oh i comprehend your position my friend, however alas, its of no substance, not in the light of our brilliant reasoning, but at present they are building a bonfire with a effigy of you upon it with, 'Paul was referring to cheap salvation', written across its forehead. i suggest you confess your sins to me and ill see what i can do to appease the angry mob 🙂
    If you understood my position, you would not have written, "thinkofone...was adamant that Christ contradicted the law". This is not what I wrote. There's a distinction to be made that you continue to be unable to make.

Can anyone help RC?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree