I dont like hardly anyone.

'Cept my kids.
    ditto.......and my dogs
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 May '16 17:46
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I would say that as children we grow up with the concept you describe. As one continues to read and understand the Bible more, that fatherly love business [like human fatherly love] somehow does not apply. God can be a very harsh and demanding God .. certainly equivalent to worse fathers of the human type. But the explanation for that is that as humans we understand very little and know very little about all the facets of Gods love.
    just to clarify...you are saying that gods love is an unemotional love. its a love based on principles and guidance...like the love of a father to a child but with the emotion removed?
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 May '16 17:50
    are other theists not posting because rajk999 and Robbie are hitting the nail on the head? if so isn't telling children that jesus and god loves them very misleading.

id also like to ask - what type of love does god demand in return?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 May '16 20:06
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    just to clarify...you are saying that gods love is an unemotional love. its a love based on principles and guidance...like the love of a father to a child but with the emotion removed?
    I think that sums it up nicely. Here is a nice passage along those lines :

For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. (Romans 11:21-23 KJV):

This passage demonstrates how sadly mistaken so many people are about the nature of God. God is in your corner if and only if you are in HIS. Gods love is for those who continue along the right path otherwise the consequences are severe. Of course there are exceptions. But the basic principle is that nobody gets a free ride.

Gods gives and takes without emotion or attachment, is a good general rule to remember.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 May '16 16:17
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I think that sums it up nicely. Here is a nice passage along those lines :

[i]For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. And they also, i ...[text shortened]... ride.

Gods gives and takes without emotion or attachment, is a good general rule to remember.
    are there any instances of god feeling other types of love?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '16 17:02
    UTB!
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '16 17:12
    I cannot think of any of the top of my head. God is capable of attachment though. Abraham was described as his friend and he seems to have spent some time with him. Several other people [preists, prophets etc] were close to God in some way.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '16 08:14
    Originally posted by stellspalfie (OP)
    Whats this - ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” - business all about?

Can one of you Christian peeps explain this in practical terms, do you really love your neighbors? what are you defining as neighbors? is it a different kind of love?
    Thread 168812
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 21:32
    Originally posted by stellspalfie (OP)
    Whats this - ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” - business all about?

Can one of you Christian peeps explain this in practical terms, do you really love your neighbors? what are you defining as neighbors? is it a different kind of love?
    - - - - - >Thread 168812
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 07:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    - - - - - >Thread 168812
    Sorry, what was that thread again?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree