1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 00:21
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Quite the contrary, mon signor. In the absence of God's direct voice, evil, pain and suffering are all PROOF of God's existence... causing quite the headache for the hardcore agnostics and so-called atheists.

Think about it, will you please?
    I think it is an equal opportunity headache.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 01:09
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I think it is an equal opportunity headache.
    Not for the humble.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 07:04
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    The concepts of evil & suffering are a real headache for Christians.

1. A good God would destroy evil.
    2. An all powerful God could destroy evil.
    3. Evil is not destroyed.
    4. Therefore, there cannot possibly be such a good and powerful God.
    Why doesn't God just destroy us?
  4. Joined
    07 Nov '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 08:32
    Well done, Knight. That was a great answer that actually made sense.

However, I think that is what you feel personally, and though it was impressive I don't think that goes along with fundamentalist Chrisitian dogma, which is really what I was targeting.

Where is "clean cut?" I was hoping he would jump on this one. haha
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 10:30
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Why doesn't God just destroy us?
    Sadism?
  6. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:171 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    ... and so-called atheists.
    So called atheists?

Thats so typical of "so called" christians... Shoving your bible and god BS down everybodys throat. Despite the fact that I am an atheist, I am familiar with the bible. Let me refer you to Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37.

You keep judging me and others who dont share your beliefs and your hypocrisy shines through like the headlights on a train.

EDIT: clean cut is a troll. He gets this junk started and sits back and watches.
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 13:24
    Originally posted by sear november
    Well done, Knight. That was a great answer that actually made sense.

However, I think that is what you feel personally, and though it was impressive I don't think that goes along with fundamentalist Chrisitian dogma, which is really what I was targeting.

Where is "clean cut?" I was hoping he would jump on this one. haha
    Fundamentalist Christian Dogma (in many cases) is not true Christianity , it is a warped , distorted image of God that manipulates through guilt and fear.

Never forget that the fundamentalists of their time where at odds with Jesus , he got up their noses. Jesus was not a "religious " person and if he was around now he would pop up in some very unpredictable places a long long way away from fundamentalist churches.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Dec '06 23:52
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Sadism?
    How do you know God hasn't eradicated evil?
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 00:10
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    So called atheists?

Thats so typical of "so called" christians... Shoving your bible and god BS down everybodys throat. Despite the fact that I am an atheist, I am familiar with the bible. Let me refer you to Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37.

You keep judging me and others who dont share your beliefs and your hypocrisy shines through like the headlights on a train.

EDIT: clean cut is a troll. He gets this junk started and sits back and watches.
    1 [1-12] In ⇒ Matthew 7:1 Matthew returns to the basic traditional material of the sermon (⇒ Luke 6:37-38, ⇒ 41-42). The governing thought is the correspondence between conduct toward one's fellows and God's conduct toward the one so acting.

Matthew 7;1

1 1 2 "Stop judging, that you may not be judged.

2 [1] This is not a prohibition against recognizing the faults of others, which would be hardly compatible with ⇒ Matthew 7:5, 6 but against passing judgment in a spirit of arrogance, forgetful of one's own faults.

Matthew 7:5,6

5 You hypocrite, 3 remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye.

6 "Do not give what is holy to dogs, 4 or throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them underfoot, and turn and tear you to pieces.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PVG.HTM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Luke 7:35

35 But wisdom is vindicated by all her children."

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PWQ.HTM

What meaning do you give, as an atheist, to this last verse, which you mentioned in your post.
  10. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 03:391 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    1 [1-12] In ⇒ Matthew 7:1 Matthew returns to the basic traditional material of the sermon (⇒ Luke 6:37-38, ⇒ 41-42). The governing thought is the correspondence between conduct toward one's fellows and God's conduct toward the one so acting.

Matthew 7;1

1 1 2 "Stop judging, that you may not be judged.

2 [1] [b]This is not a meaning do you give, as an atheist, to this last verse, which you mentioned in your post.
    Luke 6:37: Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.

As a christian, you should not judge me. In turn, I will not judge you.
  11. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 08:37
    I disagree with the analogy. You said it yourself, you are not omnipotent or omniscient.

Tell me then, if you could fix your childs toys with a snap of your thumb, would you still not do it right away? If with a mere thought you could prevent child abuse and rape, would you still not do it?

When a child and his mother are being beaten by a drunken step-father/husband, where is your god then?
    That would destroy the world as we know it. Any thing that is broken, "Hey God! Can you come fix this right away? We know you can do it with a snap of your finger -- it will only take a sec." Then magnify that by every human being all around the world -- sitting on his butt waiting for God to help him.

I don't know the Purpose of Life, but I will bet that waiting for God to "fix it" is not it.

As for the child, mother, and father -- they all have free will, don't they? So do you. Instead of asking God what He is doing about that horrible situation, what are YOU doing about it? Or is your free time to precious to get involved in such things?

It's our world and if we want it to be better than it is, we have to fix it. The greater the evil, the greater the good that rises up against it.
  12. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 12:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 12:424 edits
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    s for the child, mother, and father -- they all have free will, don't they? So do you. Instead of asking God what He is doing about that horrible situation, what are YOU doing about it? Or is your free time to precious to get involved in such things?
    Unless you've been in that situation, dont talk to me about free will.
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 15:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 17:263 edits
    Luke 6:37: Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.

As a christian, you should not judge me. In turn, I will not judge you.
    Does this mean I cannot recognise and point out to you your faults, failures, mistakes and, in my view, wrong opinions ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree