1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 11:09
    Doubt on one hand, and certainty on the other ~ which frame of mind might be said to cause more problems for people - as individuals and people acting in concert with others? In what kinds of situations do doubt and certainty each serve us well?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 11:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Doubt on one hand, and certainty on the other ~ which frame of mind might be said to cause more problems for people - as individuals and people acting in concert with others? In what kinds of situations do doubt and certainty each serve us well?
    I certainly perceive you are a scoundrel and doubt your sincerity😵
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 11:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Your thoughts on the OP questions would be welcome.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 12:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    So much for perception.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 12:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Certainty causes more problems I think. But it depends what one is "certain" about of course.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 12:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Certainty causes more problems I think. But it depends what one is "certain" about of course.
    Give a couple of examples that illustrate the "it depends" thing.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 12:59
    "Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance."

Bertrand Russell
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 13:301 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Give a couple of examples that illustrate the "it depends" thing.
    A certainty about a belief that love conquers all and a determination to express that could be a good thing.

A certainly that the best way to live is one day at a time could be a bad thing.

**probably not great examples. Maybe other people can offer better ones...
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 14:51
    “The more we try to live in the world of words, the more we feel isolated and alone, the more all the joy and liveliness of things is exchanged for mere certainty and security. On the other hand, the more we are forced to admit that we actually live in the real world, the more we feel ignorant, uncertain, and insecure about everything.”

― Alan W. Watts, The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree