1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Why do you go to church? To throw live lambs on a pyre and dance around the fire with spears?
    I go to church for a number of reasons. It may be for a wedding or even a
    death. Sometimes, it is for charity dinners. I don't consider it social though.
    My primary purpose for attending many churches was to learn what they
    understood about the Holy Bible and God. I don't go as regularly now as I
    once did because I think I have learned most of what I need to know. I
    usually only hear a repeat of what I have heard before. But for me, the
    learning experience was exciting. Now I am happy in the knowledge that
    Jesus loves me and will always be with me.
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    09 Aug '11 14:221 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think most people, if not all people, tell themselves that they are right in regards to their beliefs. However, you seem to indicate that you believe tolerance to be "good" in all circumstances in regards to those beleifs. When looking at the life of Christ, was he toerant 100% of the time? No. For example. what would those "educated" people have though ...[text shortened]... thought when he rebuked the religious leaders who were the most educated people of his day?
    Matthew 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
    36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Please find the conditional or exclusionary statement in verse 39 for me.
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 22:32
    Originally posted by Penguin
    The last time I went to church was for my cousin's wedding, last year. The next time may well be for my father's funeral, though hopefully Christmas will come first so I may end up being dragged along for a service around then.

So yes, for social reasons in my case.

--- Penguin.
    Looks like my hopes were overly optimistic. My father died this morning. He was a good and loving father and I only hope to be half the man he was. For the atheists among us, I'm sure you will commiserate. For the religious, I am sure you will pray. Thank you for both.

--- Penguin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree