1. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Sep '14 10:56
    “The freethinker has the same right to discredit the beliefs of Christians that the Orthodox Christians enjoy in destroying reverence, respect, and confidence in Mohammedanism, Mormonism, Christian Science, or Atheism.”

—Theodore Schroeder, Constitutional Free Speech Defined and Defended
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '14 10:591 edit
    Originally posted by 667joe
    “The freethinker has the same right to discredit the beliefs of Christians that the Orthodox Christians enjoy in destroying reverence, respect, and confidence in Mohammedanism, Mormonism, Christian Science, or Atheism.”

Agreed.

As with all "discrediting", it needs to be done with a certain level of efficacy.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Sep '14 15:56

The freethinker, as with all others, has the right to believe whatever they want to believe.

Doesn't mean a thing if a freethinker, or any other, thinks or believes in error!
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Sep '14 17:20
    Quite right!
  5. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '14 05:205 edits
    I don't think that is an equal set. I think atheism is a category error. Mormonism and Christian Science also overlap to a greater extent than the others. While the Orthodox have disputes on whether they are valid Christians, I believe they recognize there are many within such communities who earnestly seek Truth and thus can be considered a catechetical Christian in need. There is a level of healthy ecumenism that goes on, which unless you were to be nosey or inside the structures you would not see. There is a saying from the Civil War movie Gettysburg, one of the soldiers justifies things thusly: Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Sep '14 05:42
    Originally posted by Of Ants and Imps
    I don't think that is an equal set. I think atheism is a category error. Mormonism and Christian Science also overlap to a greater extent than the others. While the Orthodox have disputes on whether they are valid Christians, I believe they recognize there are many within such communities who earnestly seek Truth and thus can be considered a cateche ...[text shortened]... stifies things thusly: Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time.
    Well-said.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Sep '14 07:37
    Originally posted by josephw

Doesn't mean a thing if a freethinker, or any other, thinks or believes in error!
    That is where you are quite demonstrably wrong!
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    18 Sep '14 09:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Please demonstrate.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Sep '14 10:44
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You have the right to be wrong! 🙂

As "freethinker" is defined by the context of the OP, everyone has the right to express their beliefs, vocally, in a free society that protects individual rights.

I'm only suggesting that while freethinking should be encouraged and protected as a right, it doesn't mean that being a freethinker is necessarily good unless the freethinker thinks correctly.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 01:31
    Originally posted by josephw
    You have the right to be wrong! 🙂

As "freethinker" is defined by the context of the OP, everyone has the right to express their beliefs, vocally, in a free society that protects individual rights.

I'm only suggesting that while freethinking should be encouraged and protected as a right, it doesn't mean that being a freethinker is necessarily good unless the freethinker thinks correctly.
    Lets say two free-thinkers; A and B come up with differing theologies.
    Could be Islam and Catholicism. Could be Mormonism and Scientology.

One or both are wrong.

Can you show why this is "not necessarily good"?

And if not good - how would you propose curtailing the
    rights of free-thinkers to make it good?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 02:21

I typically only critique Islam simply because of the level of evil that seems to flow from it seems very disturbing to me.

Just having visions of someone walking down the street covered in blood with a butchers knife In their hand after slaying an infidel will do that to ya.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 02:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just having visions of someone walking down the street covered in blood with a butchers knife In their hand after slaying an infidel will do that to ya.
    It's interesting how you only wanted to talk about this incident in London in a facetious and shallow General-Forum-banter manner when you raised it with me and then refused to discuss it seriously.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 02:37
    I typically only critique Islam simply because of the level of evil that seems to flow from it seems very disturbing to me.
    If you and I are wrong about Islam, and it IS in fact in line with the wishes of the Abrahamic God, then God's will will be what God's will will be. I, however, don't think either Christianity or Islam represents any genuine revelation from God.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 03:02

Thankfully it hasn't done that to the vast majority of Londoners.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '14 04:32

You seem to think the same of liberals, so.....

I'm just sayin'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree