1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '14 09:46
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Before discussing the italicized question above, let's establish a representative viewpoint profile of the beliefs regarding eternity of current contributors to this forum: [i]1) Is the concept of eternity plausible? 2) If so, does eternity encapsulate human history? 3) Has an omniscient, omnipotent, omniprese ...[text shortened]... nt contributors to this forum":

1. Yes? No?

2. Yes? No?

3. Yes? No?

Or whatever?[/b]

[b]Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Before discussing the italicized question above, let's establish a representative viewpoint profile of the beliefs regarding eternity of current contributors to this forum: 1) Is the concept of eternity plausible? 2) If so, does eternity encapsulate human history? 3) Has an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immutable God always existed? Your views?" (OP)

Originally posted by divegeester
    1) yes

2) not in my opinion; eternity is not the extension of time, it is the absence of time. Therefore eternity is both before and after the events we experience here and now.

3) I don't know."

Originally posted by kiki46
    "Yes, yes, yes. All are absolutes."

Originally posted by black beetle

"So:
    1) No
    2) No
    3) No"

Originally posted by josephw
    1) "Is the concept of eternity plausible?"

The concept is conceivable. What eternity is experientially is unknown to man, at least to none living in time.

2) "If so, does eternity encapsulate human history?"

History indicates time as a record of events from the past to the present. Time exists within the material universe, which appears to exist independent of eternity. That's my best answer.

3) "Has an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immutable God always existed?"

According to God, yes."

An unhesitating "Yes" to each of the three questions on the basis of the authority of the Word of God.

stellspalfie; JS357; roigam; Soothfast; Duchess64; other "current contributors to this forum":

1. Yes? No?

2. Yes? No?

3. Yes? No?

Or whatever?

Or whenever?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '14 06:59
    1. I have never understood how, if the past is limitless, we ever get to now.

2. Does encapsulate mean include? I imagine if there is only one time, it does. Do you mean human history on earth? If so, human history is a fraction of history smaller than any fraction we can specify.

3. I lack belief about that.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Dec '14 15:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    1. I have never understood how, if the past is limitless, we ever get to now.

2. Does encapsulate mean include? I imagine if there is only one time, it does. Do you mean human history on earth? If so, human history is a fraction of history smaller than any fraction we can specify.

3. I lack belief about that.
    "1. I have never understood how, if the past is limitless, we ever get to now." God's sovereign decision in eternity past to create the human race. "2. Does encapsulate mean include?" In context, JS, yes. "If you picture Time as a straight line along which we have to travel, then you must picture God as the whole page on which the line is drawn." ― C.S. Lewis
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Dec '14 16:10
    Eternity (OP)

This thread has been prompted by the recent summary statement: "Supposing such a thing as eternity exists, and supposing we are all to end up there one way or another, then I would say the question of what that eternity consists of and why are the most fundamentally profound questions a human being can ask." -divegeester Thread 161995 (Page 2)

Before discussing the italicized question above, let's establish a representative viewpoint profile of the beliefs regarding eternity of current contributors to this forum: 1) Is the concept of eternity plausible? 2) If so, does eternity encapsulate human history? 3) Has an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immutable God always existed? Your views?

"1) Is the concept of eternity plausible?"

Yes, because on the authority of God's Word His Attributes of Sovereignty; Love; Righteousness and Justice [which define God's Integrity]; Omniscience; Omnipotence; Omnipresence; Veracity and Immutability include Eternal Life.

On what authority do you base the "viewpoint profile" of your beliefs with respect to question one?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '14 16:20
    "1. I have never understood how, if the past is limitless, we ever get to now." God's sovereign decision in eternity past to create the human race. "2. Does encapsulate mean include?" In context, JS, yes. "If you picture Time as a straight line along which we have to travel, then you must picture God as the whole page on which the line is drawn." ― C.S. Lewis
    I picture time as that which keeps everything from happening at once.
    The original penner of this saying is in dispute.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Dec '14 23:131 edit
    I have never understood how, if the past is limitless, we ever get to now.
    God's sovereign decision in eternity past to create the human race.

Well that's not really an answer to the question actually asked though is it Grampy!
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 04:02
    Originally posted by JS357
    I picture time as that which keeps everything from happening at once.
    The original penner of this saying is in dispute.
    .... and what if there's an invisible supernatural being whose plan created time for a specific purpose?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 04:04
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I have never understood how, if the past is limitless, we ever get to now.
    [b]God's sovereign decision in eternity past to create the human race.

Well that's not really an answer to the question actually asked though is it Grampy![/b]
    Why not?
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 14:39
    Why not?
    Because, and he can correct me if I am wrong, JS357 was asking about a philosophical problem about how one can ever attain some particular time t on a timeline that has no beginning.

Your answer was, in a nutshell, goddidit
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 18:44
    Because, and he can correct me if I am wrong, JS357 was asking about a philosophical problem about how one can ever attain some particular time t on a timeline that has no beginning.

Your answer was, in a nutshell, goddidit
    Because He did.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 22:361 edit
    Because He did.
    Tempting as it is to argue with someone who is wrong on the internet, you are a waste of time, I should look into this gb away script mentioned elsewhere
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 22:44
    Tempting as it is to argue with someone who is wrong on the internet, you are a waste of time, I should look into this gb away script mentioned elsewhere
    That's certainly an option you may wish to exercise; if the topic holds interest please reply to the three questions below:

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Eternity

This thread has been prompted by the recent summary statement: "Supposing such a thing as eternity exists, and supposing we are all to end up there one way or another, then I would say the question of what that eternity consists of and why are the most fundamentally profound questions a human being can ask." -divegeester Thread 161995 (Page 2)

Before discussing the italicized question above, let's establish a representative viewpoint profile of the beliefs regarding eternity of current contributors to this forum: 1) Is the concept of eternity plausible? 2) If so, does eternity encapsulate human history? 3) Has an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immutable God always existed? Your views?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 12:31

Eternity

"This thread has been prompted by the recent summary statement: "Supposing such a thing as eternity exists, and supposing we are all to end up there one way or another, then I would say the question of what that eternity consists of and why are the most fundamentally profound questions a human being can ask." -divegeester [threa ...[text shortened]... istory? 3) Has an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immutable God always existed?[/i] Your views?
    Eternity (OP)

"This thread has been prompted by the recent summary statement: "Supposing such a thing as eternity exists, and supposing we are all to end up there one way or another, then I would say the question of what that eternity consists of and why are the most fundamentally profound questions a human being can ask." -divegeester Thread 161995 (Page 2)

Before discussing the italicized question above, let's establish a representative viewpoint profile of the beliefs regarding eternity of current contributors to this forum: 1) Is the concept of eternity plausible? 2) If so, does eternity encapsulate human history? 3) Has an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, immutable God always existed? Your views?"

"2) If so, does eternity encapsulate human history?" Yes. Because God on His own initiative [self determination] in eternity past created human life on earth as an integral part of His overall strategic plan to resolve Lucifer's appeal following the angelic rebellion by reconciling the fallen human race to Himself for eternity. Two examples on a finite human level:

A) Russ created Red Hot Pawn [earth] in February, 2001, and its history [time] as an online correspondence site within the cyberspace universe began. It will continue as Red Hot Pawn until Russ deems it prudent or necessary to do otherwise.

B) Or let's say that divegeester took an initiative to create his first chess game invite or public forum thread on "16 Feb '08" the same day he joined Red Hot Pawn [online earth] when his game/forum activities history [time] began. It will continue until divegeester decides to leave; is unable to participate due to illness or departs this life to be face to face with the Lord.

Note: RHP encapsulates divegeester's time as a site member just as the cyberspace universe encapsulates Red Hot Pawn.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 20:33
    Originally posted by divegeester
    1) yes

2) not in my opinion; eternity is not the extension of time, it is the absence of time. Therefore eternity is both before and after the events we experience here and now.

3) I don't know.
    Should we continue despite the limited level of serious interest?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree