1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 01:33
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I do. Like you, I cannot forget it.

It was a revelation. A bombshell. The ultimate "Aha!" moment.
    Beautiful!!

I have always called it my "Eureka!" moment. I'm so glad to hear you describe it just as I remember it. Thanks.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 03:17
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I just posted this in another thread...
    Lack of evidence is only in their corrupted minds, seeing that evidence is everywhere to be found by just looking around at the order of the universe, plants, weather, etc. Chaos does not produce order, intelligent design does.
    Chaos and order are deeply entwined. The Chaos Theory revolution in the 60s showed how simple systems could produce complex results and how completely deterministic systems could not be determined!

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnsley_fern to see how chaos can
    produce order.

And read the brilliant Chaos by James Gleick
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 03:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I do. Like you, I cannot forget it.

It was a revelation. A bombshell. The ultimate "Aha!" moment.

Yes, faith IS personal. As I said in another thread, that is the beauty and the genius of it.
    There is no argument against that Suzianne. Your personal evidence is your own feelings which support your faith. Good.

But when others say "Look around" as proof of a creator!! Thats when most
    rational people get riled. We have perfectly good explanations for the natural world. (And even some good ideas about what faith is ...) So "Look in the mirror" is not evidence!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 05:30
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Chaos and order are deeply entwined. The Chaos Theory revolution in the 60s showed how simple systems could produce complex results and how completely deterministic systems could not be determined!

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnsley_fern to see how chaos can
    produce order.

And read the brilliant Chaos by James Gleick
    That is all nonsense.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 07:27
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    You said chaos can produce order.
    I know I did. But I still fail to see what you are getting at.
    You said you know something by "good old fashioned logic" and I asked whether you could present it. Instead you tell me that I claimed something contradictory to your claim. I really don't follow.
  6. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 07:443 edits
    There is no argument against that Suzianne. Your personal evidence is your own feelings which support your faith. Good.

But when others say "Look around" as proof of a creator!! Thats when most
    rational people get riled. We have perfectly good explanations for the natural world. (And even some good ideas about what faith is ...) So "Look in the mirror" is not evidence!
    The idea of "look around" goes deeper than just asking someone to glance at the trees and the sky. As we look deeper and deeper into creation and see all the genius and complexity of it all, it just makes natural sense to believe there was some kind of creation involved. All the "instinctive" actions of every organism from the blue whale all the way down to a single-celled organism, suggests strongly that a set of instructions was implanted into all of creation.

Even the seemingly simple explanation of organisms doing what they do just as a survival instinct... a universe without a Creator doesn't explain why anything or anyone would even care to survive. The only reason anything or anyone would care to survive at all is if they "naturally" think that life is a precious gift not to be discarded. If everything came about out of nothing for no particular reason, then it would stand that the natural order of things is... to not be. And life wouldn't be something everything and everyone is striving for and trying to hold fast to, at all cost.

All of this and much more, is what Saint Paul meant when he said the skeptics need look no further than reality itself, to understand a Creator was involved.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 08:13
    Originally posted by sumydid
    As we look deeper and deeper into creation and see all the genius and complexity of it all, it just makes natural sense to believe there was some kind of creation involved.
    Unless you've been to school and learn't how it really works.

The only reason anything or anyone would care to survive at all is if they "naturally" think that life is a precious gift not to be discarded.
    Yes, my pot plant is a theist.

If everything came about out of nothing for no particular reason, then it would stand that the natural order of things is... to not be.
    You just contradicted yourself.

And life wouldn't be something everything and everyone is striving for and trying to hold fast to, at all cost.
    Just admit that you haven't really thought this through. Try to give actual reasoning as to why you think this would be rather than simply stating it as fact.
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 08:215 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Unless you've been to school and learn't how it really works.
    More insults. How predictable.

Yes, my pot plant is a theist.
    Oh. You're a doper. Even more predictable.

You just contradicted yourself.
    No I didn't. If everything sprung from its natural state of nothingness without any outside force or causal agent -- then all of reality--having a natural state of nothingness--I argue wouldn't place such a high priority on survival. Everything shouldn't have any problem at all with the idea of returning to its natural state.

Just admit that you haven't really thought this through. Try to give actual reasoning as to why you think this would be rather than simply stating it as fact.
    Judging from your immaturity and childish behavior, I would guess that I've put thought into this for longer than you've been alive.

And by the way, I'm not stating any of this as fact, I'm arguing a point. Now, if you want to issue some counterpoints other than the usual hostile and insulting remarks, we might actually have a debate on our hands.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 09:02
    More insults. How predictable.
    Its not an insult, its a fact. If you had learnt how evolution works, you would not make the claim you did and think you could get away with it.

Oh. You're a doper. Even more predictable.
    You said all life strives to survive because of its belief in the value of life, presumably taught to it by God. Or did I misunderstand you? Please clarify.

No I didn't. If everything sprung from its natural state of nothingness without any outside force or causal agent -- then all of reality--having a natural state of nothingness.
    That right there is the contradiction. First you say that everything naturally sprang from nothingness, then state that nothingness is the natural state, ignoring the fact that you have just pointed out that 'everything springing from nothingness' is the natural state.

--I argue wouldn't place such a high priority on survival.
    And you present no actual argument. You simply state it as fact as if it is obvious, when in fact it does not follow at all from the premise. Why would a natural state of nothingness lead to living things placing a low priority on survival?

Everything shouldn't have any problem at all with the idea of returning to its natural state.
    Now we are confusing death with nothingness.

And by the way, I'm not stating any of this as fact, I'm arguing a point.
    Except I don't see any argument. I see a list of claims (mostly false) that do not follow from each other.

Now, if you want to issue some counterpoints other than the usual hostile and insulting remarks, we might actually have a debate on our hands.
    I don't believe everything sprang from nothingness. Do you? If not then its a strawman.
    I don't see how it follows that 'nothingness' being the natural state would affect what life cares about.
    Most of life doesn't have cares anyway as it cant think.
    The reason why life strives to survive is easily explained by evolution.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 10:482 edits
    As we look deeper and deeper into creation and see all the genius and
    complexity of it all, it just makes natural sense to believe there was
    some kind of creation involved. .
    Unfortunately "natural sense" does not stand up to science.

It's "natural sense" to suppose the earth is flat.

It's "natural sense" to suppose the sun goes around the earth

It's "natural sense" to suppose matter is solid.

It's "natural sense" to suppose heating without heat is impossible.

It's "natural sense" to suppose light is instantaneous.

et cetera, et cetera.

Our "natural senses" are for survival in our living world of beasties and creepy crawlies and foraging for seeds. we have moved beyond that (mostly).
  11. Maryland
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 16:50
    Unfortunately "natural sense" does not stand up to science.

It's "natural sense" to suppose the earth is flat.

It's "natural sense" to suppose the sun goes around the earth

It's "natural sense" to suppose matter is solid.

It's "natural sense" to suppose heating without heat is impossible.

It's "natural sense" to suppose light is instantane ...[text shortened]... d creepy crawlies and foraging for seeds. we have moved beyond that (mostly).
    Very well put!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree