1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 May '12 02:182 edits
    I have always heard people question whether characters in the Bible really ever existed. Noah, Moses, David, and Jesus are but a few that are routinely questioned in terms of their existence. However, has anyone ever questioned the existence of Mohammad?

After I'm done with this thread, I will move on to questioning the existence of Darwin. Then I will move on to questioning the existence of any of my detractors in this thread. 😛
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '12 02:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    However, has anyone ever questioned the existence of Mohammad?
    Yes, there was a book that came out not so long ago that questioned whether he existed. It's odd that you seem not to know this.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 May '12 03:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, there was a book that came out not so long ago that questioned whether he existed. It's odd that you seem not to know this.
    What book and what was the conclusion of the book?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '12 03:091 edit
    What book and what was the conclusion of the book?
    You should look it up for yourself. I saw it advertised on David Horowitz’s http://frontpagemag.com/ web site some time back. I also saw it advertised on a few fundamentalist Christian web sites. It looked like it was book that caused a stir in those circles. Can't recall the title. I've only read reviews/previews on those web sites, not the book itself. I think I was first alerted to it by a post on freerepublic.com
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 May '12 03:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    You should look it up for yourself. I saw it advertised on David Horowitz’s http://frontpagemag.com/ web site some time back. I also saw it advertised on a few fundamentalist Christian web sites. It looked like it was book that caused a stir in those circles. Can't recall the title. I've only read reviews/previews on those web sites, not the book itself. I think I was first alerted to it by a post on freerepublic.com
    I think it interesting that it was advertized on a fundamentalist Christian web site. I think when it comes down to it, questioning the existence of someone is almost equivalent of trying to expunge them from history altogether. This is beneficial if you don't particularly care for their proported contributions to humanity.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '12 04:14
    I think it interesting that it was advertized on a fundamentalist Christian web site. I think when it comes down to it, questioning the existence of someone is almost equivalent of trying to expunge them from history altogether. This is beneficial if you don't particularly care for their proported contributions to humanity.
    You can make what you want of what Christian fundamentalists think and say. If there are those who don't like the contributions Mohammed made to humanity, as you suggest, and at the same time contend that he didn't exist to make those contributions, then it's getting into an interesting area of internally incoherent 'dislike'. Sounds to me like you're not actually interested in the question of the existence of Mohammad, but have something else you want to get off your chest - about Jesus perhaps?
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    28 May '12 05:22
    I have always heard people question whether characters in the Bible really ever existed. Noah, Moses, David, and Jesus are but a few that are routinely questioned in terms of their existence. However, has anyone ever questioned the existence of Mohammad?

After I'm done with this thread, I will move on to questioning the existence of Darwin. Then I will move on to questioning the existence of any of my detractors in this thread. 😛
    that's actually a healthy state of mind. keep it up!
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 May '12 22:43

The existence of people living closer to our time are not questioned as much as the distant past and I understand Mohammed has a marked grave, whereas the unmarked grave that is supposed to belong to Jesus is empty. The idea that someone could rise from the grave and ascend into heaven is very hard for most people to accept.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '12 06:01
    What if they aren't part of history in the first place? eg Noah, Moses and Jesus.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '12 06:03

I do hope you realise that the only result of such an exercise will be that the existence of Mohammed will be confirmed, and the existence of Jesus will look more questionable.
    Why don't you also include a few characters from Greek mythology for good measure?
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 May '12 06:511 edit
    I think when it comes down to it, questioning the existence of someone is almost equivalent of trying to expunge them from history altogether.
    Not really. Even if some scholar convinced most people that Jesus never existed, he would not be 'expunged' from history. All the biblical and scholarly writing about him would remain, as well as the beliefs and teachings attributed to him.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '12 05:13
    After I'm done with this thread, I will move on to questioning the existence of Darwin.
    I am wondering why you would do that. Do you think someone will be offended if you do? I really wouldn't care whether you think Darwin existed and I don't particularly care whether he existed or not. The theory he is recorded as writing books on is just as valid with or without him. He may be seen as some sort of antichrist by creationists but that does not make him a god to everyone else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree