1. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 19:09
    A question in another thread got me thinking.
    If there is a prophesy in the Bible that was demonstrably not fulfilled and is such that it will never be fulfilled, then will anyone here take that as evidence that there is no God or evidence that the Bible is not reliable?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 22:39
    Here's some actual evidence. Apparently one would expect there to be 1.76 James, son of Joseph, Brother of Jesus at the time. Also it's quite unlikely that they would add "Brother of Jesus" without reason. The Israeli authorities did their best to dismiss it as a forgery and cocked up the investigation to the point that further investigation is compromised, but the James Ossuary is actual evidence. Why is it that I have to dig this stuff out? The Christians here all seem intent on the claim that actual evidence exists, but none of them bothered to present any.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ossuary
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 22:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If there is a prophesy in the Bible that was demonstrably not fulfilled and is such that it will never be fulfilled, then will anyone here take that as evidence that there is no God or evidence that the Bible is not reliable?
    The Bible is true, reality is false.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 05:22
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Even the evidence supporting Jesus the man is not "VERY strong"
    let alone him being special./
    If you really believe Jesus was not special then you must surely be an idiot.

There would be no religion honoring Jesus if he were not special. His bloody burial shroud would not have been kept for nearly 2000 years if he were not special. People would not be taking trips to visit His birth place and His empty tomb if He were not special. People would not be preaching the good news of His resurrection if he were not special. I could go on and on but an idiot would still not get the point.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 05:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Evidence You Can’t Ignore"

"Another prophecy about this same event when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the back a donkey is: “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; He is just and endowed with salvation, Humble, and mounted on a donkey, even on a colt, the foal of a donk ...[text shortened]... and 3 of 7)

https://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/why-believe-in-jesus/evidence-you-cant-ignore/
    "Evidence You Can’t Ignore"

"4. Jesus’ Ministry
    He came to the downtrodden and brokenhearted. He would heal and perform miraculous signs.

Prophecy:

“Then the eyes of the blind will be opened, and the ears of the deaf will be unstopped. Then the lame will leap like a deer, and the tongue of the dumb will shout for joy. For waters will break forth in the wilderness and streams in the Arabah.” ~ Isaiah 35:5-6

“The Spirit of the LORD God is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives, and freedom to prisoners; to proclaim the favorable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn.” ~ Isaiah 61:1-2

Fulfillment:

“He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are downtrodden, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord.” ~ Luke 4:18-19

5. That He Would Be Rejected By His Fellow Jews

“Then He shall become a sanctuary; But to both the houses of Israel, a stone to strike and a rock to stumble over, and a snare and a trap for the inhabitants of Jerusalem.” ~ Isaiah 8:14

“He was despised and rejected— a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care.” ~ Isaiah 53:3

“The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief corner stone.” ~ Psalms 118:22

6. Jesus Betrayed

The Jewish scriptures predict that Jesus would be betrayed by a close friend. They also name the exact price paid for this betrayal. “Even my close friend, in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.” ~ Psalms 41:9

“It is not an enemy who taunts me—I could bear that. It is not my foes who so arrogantly insult me—I could have hidden from them. Instead, it is you—my equal, my companion and close friend.” ~ Psalms 55:12-13

“So they counted out for my wages thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—this magnificent sum at which they valued me! So I took the thirty coins and threw them to the potter in the Temple of the Lord.” ~ Zach 11:12-13

Judas Iscariot was paid 30 pieces of silver for betraying Jesus. After he did this, he took the money back to the Pharisees and threw it back to them. The money was used by this group to by the “Potter’s Field” (Matt 27:3-10).
    ~Jake McWhirter (Part 4-6 of 7)

https://philippians1v21.wordpress.com/why-believe-in-jesus/evidence-you-cant-ignore/
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 06:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There would be no religion honoring Jesus if he were not special. His bloody burial shroud would not have been kept for nearly 2000 years if he were not special. People would not be taking trips to visit His birth place and His empty tomb if He were not special. People would not be preaching the good news of His resurrection if he were not special. I could go on and on but an idiot would still not get the point.

The fact that the popularity of a religion is not evidence that its claims about a supernatural being are true, is a point that idiots and non-idiots alike can get.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 06:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If you really believe Jesus was not special then you must surely be an idiot.

There would be no religion honoring Jesus if he were not special. His bloody burial shroud would not have been kept for nearly 2000 years if he were not special. People would not be taking trips to visit His birth place and His empty tomb if He were not special. People would n ...[text shortened]... ection if he were not special. I could go on and on but an idiot would still not get the point.
    If people think Jesus special then they may keep his shroud.

If people think Jesus special then they may make pilgrimage to his birth place. (Wherever that is!!!)

If people think Jesus special then they may preach his "good news".

None of those things that people do prove Jesus special or that he ever existed. If you cannot accept that then you are the idiot.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 07:57
    None of those things that people do prove Jesus special or that he ever existed. If you cannot accept that then you are the idiot.
    Also, if you cannot accept it, then you must also think that Thor was special.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 08:21
    If arguably the central most important dogma of the Christian religion is “having faith” rather than “knowing”...

if God does not show himself to us right now in the most obvious way possible because it would remove the need for the concept of “faith” which would be replaced by “know”...

if in fact – as some people would have you believe – God has placed fossils in the ground in order to test the believer’s faith...

... why would God not make sure any physical evidence that would point to the existence of a higher being (including Jebus being the son of Gosh) got removed?
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 08:53
    Also, if you cannot accept it, then you must also think that Thor was special.
    Apparently he was special enough to have a day of the week named after Him. (Thursday)
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 12:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]There would be no religion honoring Jesus if he were not special. His bloody burial shroud would not have been kept for nearly 2000 years if he were not special. People would not be taking trips to visit His birth place and His empty tomb if He were not special. People would not be preaching the good news of His resurrection if he were not special. I could ...[text shortened]... claims about a supernatural being are true, is a point that idiots and non-idiots alike can get.
    Another strawman by you.

I referred to Jesus only as a special human being, not as a supernatural being. Most people who understand English enough would get that unless they are stupid.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 13:00
    If people think Jesus special then they may keep his shroud.

If people think Jesus special then they may make pilgrimage to his birth place. (Wherever that is!!!)

If people think Jesus special then they may preach his "good news".

If you can't accept Jesus is a special person then you are a numbnuts. 😏
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 15:48
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    If arguably the central most important dogma of the Christian religion is “having faith” rather than “knowing”...

if God does not show himself to us right now in the most obvious way possible because it would remove the need for the concept of “faith” which would be replaced by “know”...

if in fact – as some people would have you believe – God h ...[text shortened]... ld point to the existence of a higher being (including Jebus being the son of Gosh) got removed?
    Son of Gosh?

Is that an intentional criticism of miracle narratives or a typo?
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 16:20
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Son of Gosh?

Is that an intentional criticism of miracle narratives or a typo?
    I like how people say "Oh, my Gosh!" because apparently saying "Oh, my God!" is blasphemy or something, so I like to say "Gosh" sometimes.

I said Jebus because Homer Simpson says Jebus, and if He says it, it must be alright.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 17:20
    twhitehead, may I ask which thread?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree