1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 04:39
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Are there any exceptions to the Ten Commandments?
    Ten Commandments in the OT pertain to principles of morality (a freedom code

which applies universally, to inhibit human self destruction), not to spirituality.

2. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 06:56
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Are there any exceptions to the Ten Commandments?
    Its so funny how many Christians are essentially saying 'The Ten Commandments were abolished, we don't need to worry about them because Jesus will forgive us.'
    All they seem to care about is whether or not they will be punished for all their violations of the commandments, not whether following them is right or wrong.
    I always thought that Jesus's version was stricter in terms of commandments and weaker in terms of punishment, but as I said before, it seems people are only concentrating on the punishment side of things.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 09:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its so funny how many Christians are essentially saying 'The Ten Commandments were abolished, we don't need to worry about them because Jesus will forgive us.'
    All they seem to care about is whether or not they will be punished for all their violations of the commandments, not whether following them is right or wrong.
    I always thought that Jesus's versi ...[text shortened]... t as I said before, it seems people are only concentrating on the punishment side of things.
    I don't think it's so funny how so many Christians have so many differing views about what the Bible teaches about many things. It's not funny at all.

But I do find it odd that of all the faiths there are in the world Christianity seems to have the most confusion amongst its adherents concerning what the Bible means by what it says. (Actually I don't, but that's another topic)

The law was not abolished. It was fulfilled (filled full) by Jesus. It was the ordinances that were nailed to the cross with Jesus.

But here's the tricky part. The law was given to expose sin. The idea was that if one could keep(do) the law one would be righteous enough to gain access to the presence of God. But who can keep the law? Only one man did. There is nothing wrong with the law of God. The ten commandments are still true and are the standard by which righteousness is measured.

Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the law for us and on our behalf so that when we trusts in what Jesus did on the cross to pay our sins debt the righteousness of Christ is accredited to us.

That is why we say we are saved by grace through faith in Christ. Grace is unmerited favor. We don't earn it based on what we do, (keeping the law) but on what Jesus did for us.

Jesus fulfilled the law, and then as an innocent man He paid the price of our redemption. (The wages of sin is death) Jesus died for us to satisfy God's justice.

So, when you now hear a Christian say the law was abolished you will understand that they probably don't really understand what they're talking about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree