1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    15 Mar '13 21:281 edit
    I have a colleague who is fasting, for lent I think. They are Protestant and are "flexible" in that they will deny themselves without compromising everyday business.

    Do you or anyone you know fast?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    15 Mar '13 23:33
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I have a colleague who is fasting, for lent I think. They are Protestant and are "flexible" in that they will deny themselves without compromising everyday business.

    Do you or anyone you know fast?
    I would, but it's not really considered a good idea for diabetics, especially Type I, which is what I have.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12696
    16 Mar '13 01:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I have a colleague who is fasting, for lent I think. They are Protestant and are "flexible" in that they will deny themselves without compromising everyday business.

    Do you or anyone you know fast?
    There are different types of fasting and not all fasting is good for everyone. Fasting is meant as a test to gain more control over the body and strenghen the will of the soul and spirit in order to honor God. The simplest fasting is to sacrifice some physical object that gives comfort to the body. This is usually food. It can be all food or one item of food that one really craves for a set period of time as short as a single day, but usually longer.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    16 Mar '13 01:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I have a colleague who is fasting, for lent I think. They are Protestant and are "flexible" in that they will deny themselves without compromising everyday business.

    Do you or anyone you know fast?
    I absolutely agree with it.

    Fasting helps weaken the flesh and inhance one spiritually and also helps cleanse the body.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    16 Mar '13 02:57
    One idea I have heard for fasting and ceaseless praying (to the point of sleep deprivation) as a religious tradition is that it leads to hallucinations, which can then be interpreted as supernatural "visions."
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    16 Mar '13 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    One idea I have heard for fasting and ceaseless praying (to the point of sleep deprivation) as a religious tradition is that it leads to hallucinations, which can then be interpreted as supernatural "visions."
    Gandhi considered it a kind of spiritual cleansing.

    He also used it as a protest against the government.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    16 Mar '13 19:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There are different types of fasting and not all fasting is good for everyone. Fasting is meant as a test to gain more control over the body and strenghen the will of the soul and spirit in order to honor God. The simplest fasting is to sacrifice some physical object that gives comfort to the body. This is usually food. It can be all food or one item of ...[text shortened]... od that one really craves for a set period of time as short as a single day, but usually longer.
    Thanks for the ad-hoc pseudo explanation; in view of the OP do you know anyone who fasts and why etc?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    16 Mar '13 19:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I would, but it's not really considered a good idea for diabetics, especially Type I, which is what I have.
    What about fasting from things other than food? Any experience with that?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12696
    16 Mar '13 21:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Thanks for the ad-hoc pseudo explanation; in view of the OP do you know anyone who fasts and why etc?
    The doctor requires me to fast before getting certain blood tests.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    16 Mar '13 22:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The doctor requires me to fast before getting certain blood tests.
    Do you consider that to be relevant?
Back to Top