1. RDU NC
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 19:05
    I am fairly recently involved with and fallen in love with the Dune universe. I started two years ago and read all of Frank's in a year. This past year, I read all of his son's stuff. I am curious if anyone out there in the spirituality world appreciates Dune, especially for it's religious and political intrigue and why?

I know. Truly a "nerdy" thing. but what can I say. religion, chess, and sci fi go together so well.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 20:001 edit
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    I am fairly recently involved with and fallen in love with the Dune universe. I started two years ago and read all of Frank's in a year. This past year, I read all of his son's stuff. I am curious if anyone out there in the spirituality world appreciates Dune, especially for it's religious and political intrigue and why?

I know. Truly a "nerdy" thing. but what can I say. religion, chess, and sci fi go together so well.
    All I can say is that the worm is spice and the spice is life. Yes, I loved it as well. There are indeed many similarities to some of the wise sayings and plots in comparison to the Bible. For example, Maudib (Spelling?) was their Messiah and such. My favorite saying is, "Fear is the mind killer". Who can argue that saying? It sounds somewhat "Bibleish". The spice could represent oil/money or something of the sort. It is what brings power and influence and everyone fights to the death for it. Maudib rallies the common man to free them much like Christ came to rally the common man to free them on a personal level from sin while under Roman oppression. The only tradgedy is that Dune had so many plots occuring simultaneously, it was difficult making a good movie to do the books justice.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 21:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    All I can say is that the worm is spice and the spice is life. Yes, I loved it as well. There are indeed many similarities to some of the wise sayings and plots in comparison to the Bible. For example, Maudib (Spelling?) was their Messiah and such. My favorite saying is, "Fear is the mind killer". Who can argue that saying? It sounds somewhat "Bibleish" ...[text shortened]... plots occuring simultaneously, it was difficult making a good movie to do the books justice.
    Interesting comparisons between Muad'Dib and Jesus, especially since the whole prophecy and Muad'Dib status was a creation of a secret society for their own purposes, with nothing supernatural about it.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 22:45
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Interesting comparisons between Muad'Dib and Jesus, especially since the whole prophecy and Muad'Dib status was a creation of a secret society for their own purposes, with nothing supernatural about it.
    Sort of like all the good bits of the Bible and Jesus, without the rubbish that goes along with it.

The desert setting is reminiscent of the middle east too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree