1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    16 Apr '05 20:25
    Those in the US know that there is currently a hot political debate going on regarding the approval of judges appointed by President Bush. Republicans have now decided that Democrats are engaging n religious pursecution by not approving judges that have strong religious views. To that end they are having rallies at various churches to drum up support for these judges.

    I have two reactions to this. First of all, I find it theologically incongruent with the Gospel based on a kingdom "not of this world.
    Secondly, I feel that this churches should lose thier tax exempt status for engaging in activities that are clearly in the realm of political causes. Hope you will contact your senators and congressional members to voice your outrage at this.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    23648
    16 Apr '05 21:172 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Those in the US know that there is currently a hot political debate going on regarding the approval of judges appointed by President Bush. Republicans have now decided that Democrats are engaging n religious pursecution by not approving ...[text shortened]... senators and congressional members to voice your outrage at this.
    I really don't think the religious views are of any importance to the Democrats. Who cares if these judges believe in heaven or hell, in the immaculate conception or the Resurrection. The political views are of course relevant.

    Why is a pro-abortion stance regarded as "non-religious" and a pro-life stance as "religious". Why is a stance against euthanasia "religious" and a pro-euthanasia stance "non-religious" or even "rational". If we take a closer look at the euthanasia attorney George Felos, who assisted Michael Schiavo in judicially killing his wife, and the book he wrote "Litigation as Spiritual Practise" I am convinced that this whole dichotomy of "religious" views contra "rational" views is a false one of huge proportions in US politics. Mr. George Felos is a euthanasia advocate and at the same time a real religious New Age nutcase. Also take a look at the statement Ralph Nader made about the Schiavo case together with the author of the award winning book "Culture of Death: The Assault on Medical Ethics in America", Wesley J. Smith.

    It is about time American politics and people are dragged out of the rigid and immobile trenches they have dug themselves into. The two party system is seen as untouchable and very American. If you dare criticise the system as an American citizin you are looked upon as un- American. However, the two party-system is the producer of false dichotomies, that suffocates political and cultural diversity and that poisons and paralyses to a large extent American political life.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    16 Apr '05 21:38
    I'm not interested in changing the world or the political system. I would simply be content for these churches to lose their tax exempt status.
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    16 Apr '05 22:091 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I really don't think the religious views are of any importance to the Democrats. Who cares if these judges believe in heaven or hell, in the immaculate conception or the Resurrection. The political views are of course relevant.

    Why is ...[text shortened]... oisons and paralyses to a large extent American political life.
    Why is a pro-abortion stance regarded as "non-religious" and a pro-life stance as "religious". Why is...

    Because there is a huge correlation between highly Christian people and these political stances; in addition such people often use religious arguments to support their political stances.
  5. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Joined
    18 Jul '04
    Moves
    17859
    16 Apr '05 22:36
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I'm not interested in changing the world or the political system. I would simply be content for these churches to lose their tax exempt status.
    Not sure.....

    Can you give more info?

    Is there a site you can direct us to?

    Are the churches just meeting places? Or, are the church leaders at the front of the meeting?

    What about Catholics and Abortion? Chuch leaders say do not vote for so-and-so because of his/her stance? Is that in the same league as this question?

    Are we talking fundamentalist Christians? Mainstream? One particular faith group?

    Honest inquiry.....Respectfully submitted....
  6. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    23648
    16 Apr '05 22:56
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I'm not interested in changing the world or the political system. I would simply be content for these churches to lose their tax exempt status.

    Kirk: "I'm not interested in changing the world or the political system."

    But Kirk, are you a Christian who isn't interested in changing the world ?

    Kirk: "I would simply be content for these churches to lose their tax exempt status."

    I'm sure they will find a way so you will lose yours ...... and what then Kirk ?
  7. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    23648
    16 Apr '05 22:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]Why is a pro-abortion stance regarded as "non-religious" and a pro-life stance as "religious". Why is...

    Because there is a huge correlation between highly Christian people and these political stances; in addition such people often use religious arguments to support their political stances.[/b]

    Right, correlations ..... the statistical way of thinking is the road to nowhere if you want to analyse things.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    23648
    16 Apr '05 23:03
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Those in the US know that there is currently a hot political debate going on regarding the approval of judges appointed by President Bush. Republicans have now decided that Democrats are engaging n religious pursecution by not approving judges that have strong religious views. To that end they are having rallies at various churches to drum up support fo ...[text shortened]... s. Hope you will contact your senators and congressional members to voice your outrage at this.

    Kirk, you probably forget that the movement to obtain civil rights for black people was organised and supported by churches as well. In fact it was and still is, a religiously inspired movement. Do you want those churches to loose their exempt status too ?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    17 Apr '05 01:30
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

    Kirk, you probably forget that the movement to obtain civil rights for black people was organised and supported by churches as well. In fact it was and still is, a religiously inspired movement. Do you want those churches to loose their exempt status too ?
    Well, I give them credit for identifying with Moses' struggle with Pharoah and if you grew up black in this country in the first half of the last century , you knew about persecution.

    Now we've got a bunch that thinks Bush is the 2nd coming of Jesus and not getting a certain judge approved is on a similar level of persecution as the holocost.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    17 Apr '05 01:33
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

    Kirk: "I'm not interested in changing the world or the political system."

    But Kirk, are you a Christian who isn't interested in changing the world ?

    Kirk: "I would simply be content for these churches to lose their tax exempt status."

    I'm sure they will find a way so you will lose yours ...... and what then Kirk ?
    The world would be better, I believe, if Christians gave up on changing the world and focused a little more on themselves.

    Regarding my taxes. Trust me, I paid my share.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    17 Apr '05 02:04
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    George Felos, who assisted Michael Schiavo in judicially killing his wife,
    If I may enter a minor quibble, there is not yet universal agreement that she's dead. For example, lucifershammer maintains that she still has the potential to be returned to normality by a divine miracle and that she should not yet be completely written off.
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    17 Apr '05 03:25
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

    Right, correlations ..... the statistical way of thinking is the road to nowhere if you want to analyse things.
    I disagree. Correlations are a very valuable tool for analysis.
Back to Top