1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 22:44
    460 The Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature":"For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God." "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 22:56
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    460 The Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature":"For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God." "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." "The only-begotten Son of God, wa ...[text shortened]... make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."
    Are you Catholic?
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 00:00
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Are you Catholic?
    No but I was raised in the church and went there till about 2001. I even got confirmed 😕
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 09:161 edit
    No but I was raised in the church and went there till about 2001. I even got confirmed 😕
    confirmed as what? a heretic? the Bible itself does speak of men as 'gods', in fact some judges of Israel are likened to 'gods'. Of course this offends the sensibilities of those who have no understanding of the Biblical term 'god', nor its nuances of meaning. To them it is one dimensional.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 12:03
    460 The Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature":"For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God." "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." "The only-begotten Son of God, wa ...[text shortened]... make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."
    "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God."

That we might become God? Never heard that doctrine taught by any qualified Christian teacher in my life! I don't see it taught in scripture either.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 12:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    That we might become God? Never heard that doctrine taught by any qualified Christian teacher in my life! I don't see it taught in scripture either.
    It sounds like you should get to know some Catholics.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 12:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It sounds like you should get to know some Catholics.
    I was raised Catholic. I know Catholics, but I don't recall that teaching. It makes no sense that man should be God. How is that idea even rational? There is one God, and there will always be just one God.

God is the only being that exists without a cause. How is it rational that God can create beings to become beings that exist without a cause?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 13:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    confirmed as what? a heretic? the Bible itself does speak of men as 'gods', in fact some judges of Israel are likened to 'gods'. Of course this offends the sensibilities of those who have no understanding of the Biblical term 'god', nor its nuances of meaning. To them it is one dimensional.
    That's just goofy robbie. How does one get confirmed a heretic? Is there a religious rite one goes through?

By the way, I don't think you have any understanding of the Biblical term "god" anymore than anyone else either in spite of your intimation that you do!

In addition, John 1:1 cannot be accurately translated from the original language to read that the Word was "a god". 😉
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 18:531 edit
    I agree.
    I agree with divinization.

Greek Orthodoxy calls that theosis I believe.

Was that Athanasius you were quoting ?

This is not an endorsement of all other things said by the Catholic Church.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 19:44
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's just goofy robbie. How does one get confirmed a heretic? Is there a religious rite one goes through?

By the way, I don't think you have any understanding of the Biblical term "god" anymore than anyone else either in spite of your intimation that you do!

In addition, John 1:1 cannot be accurately translated from the original language to read that the Word was "a god". 😉
    we have been through this before and we both know you have no idea what you are talking about. Please go away and buy a copy of 'truth in translation - accuracy and bias in English translations of the New testament', by associate professor Jason BeDhun and educate yourself.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 13:471 edit
    It is really in the Resurrection rather than the Incarnation were the process of the believer's deification begins.

Yes, the Word became flesh in incarnation to accomplish redemption. But the deified man came to birth His resurrection. This is why His resurrection designates Him as the Firstborn Son. The FIRST BORN of those deified human beings. The FIRST BORN of many other deified human beings made God collectively, corporately through His resurrection. That is their end - a corporate expression of deified humanity - a collective living Body to contain God.

Here is a passage showing that we are regenerated by the resurrection of Christ -

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy regenerated us unto a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." ( 1 Peter 1:3)

When does the process of the believer's deification begin ?
    It really commences not with Christ's incarnation but with Christ's resurrection.

" ... regenerated unto a living hope through the RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ from the dead."

Though Christ is called "the Firstborn of all creation" (Col. 1:15) it is in resurrection as the "Firstborn from the dead" (Col. 1:18) that He is "the Head of the Body, the church; He is THE BEGINNING."

In Resurrection, Christ is "THE BEGINNING" .
    In Resurrection, Christ regenerated the believers.
    In Resurrection, Christ is "the beginning of the [new] creation of God" (Rev. 3:14)

The point of this post is to emphasize that ' for the Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature" really commences in His resurrection.

As far as we the Christian's deification process is concerned, this begins at our regeneration stemming from "the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." We can be born anew because of His resurrection. And being born anew, born again, regenerated, we become "partakers of the divine nature."
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '15 19:49
    This seems more like teaching from the Mormons. It is claimed that each Mormon male will become a god and have his own planet to rule over.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 13:50
    Please continue. Are you impressed with this bit of catechism ?
    Do you think the RCC has emphasized it enough or rather moved away from it?

Do you think such a truth should be recovered ?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 13:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Are you Catholic?
    I am on pancake Tuesdays.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 14:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am on pancake Tuesdays.
    Shrove Tuesday? Do you know this day has pagan origins?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree