Fulla

Standard membermokko
Spirituality 07 Nov '05 19:02
  1. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:02
    Anyone else seen this new alternative to Barbie yet? It's an Arab doll who unlike Barbie has a more Arab look with more conservative dress and obviously no boyfriend. It's sweeping Barbie under the carpet in sales in muslim countries. She is the moral opposite of Barbie in every sense of the word. She strives to obey her parents, be good to her friends and always takes time for prayer. She's also more adequately porportioned than barbie. 😕

So what does this say about the different spiritual values of East vs Western culture and religious beliefs? Considering Barbie lives in sin and dresses like a whore. Hmmmmm.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:04
    Originally posted by mokko
    Anyone else seen this new alternative to Barbie yet? It's an Arab doll who unlike Barbie has a more Arab look with more conservative dress and obviously no boyfriend. It's sweeping Barbie under the carpet in sales in muslim countries. She is the moral opposite of Barbie in every sense of the word. She strives to obey her parents, be good to her friends and a ...[text shortened]... culture and religious beliefs? Considering Barbie lives in sin and dresses like a whore. Hmmmmm.
    That people shouldn't instil plastic dolls with human values?
  3. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:09
    Originally posted by Starrman
    That people shouldn't instil plastic dolls with human values?
    Well the little muslim girls are eating it up. Preferring a familar face with similar values over what they call the foreigner. (Barbie)

Kids like toys, kids learn through their play with toys. Have generations of Barbie girls been raised with loose morals as a result of the fact that plastic dolls have been instilled with human values?

Has it had a subliminal effect on the spiritual morals of our society?
  4. Gangster Land
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:13
    Well the little muslim girls are eating it up. Preferring a familar face with similar values over what they call the foreigner. (Barbie)

Kids like toys, kids learn through their play with toys. Have generations of Barbie girls been raised with loose morals as a result of the fact that plastic dolls have been instilled with human values?

My wife and I occasionally play Barbie and Ken and the effect on my morals is a far cry from subliminal!!

Perhaps I should have kept this to myself.

TheSkipper
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:14
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    My wife and I occasionally play Barbie and Ken and the effect on my morals is a far cry from subliminal!!

TheSkipper
    You cunningly neglected to say who plays which role.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:20
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You said cunningly, snigger.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:24

I don't believe that it has a subliminal effect on the upbringing of children. I played with Action Man when I was young, but I'm not a raving latent homosexual with too much testosterone and a desire to carry a gun and seek out nazis wherever they may be found. Dolls are a symptom of the culture, not a cause for it. So what if muslim children are enjoying these new dolls (although you have yet to coroborate this piece of news)? I'm sure that before they became popular, there was something int here place. I would be more concerned about the onset of a more capitalist influence that encourages children to play with manufactured toys, rather than children using their imagination and making their own.
  8. Gangster Land
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:25
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I've said too much already.

I'm taking my Malibu Bubbles Barbi and going home!

TheSkipper
  9. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:36
    http://www.westernresistance.com/blog/archives/000179.html

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/21/news/journal.php

Was just something new to me. I don't ever recall wondering what religion Barbie was or wether or not she had any moral values. My barbie certainly didn't pray.

Playing with action figures as a boy does eventually develop, through play, the role of a man. Protector so to speak, and begins the moral war of good versus evil which carries on into adulthood.

Play is how children learn. Wether they have to utalize their imagination more by playing with sticks and rocks or by playing with mass produced plastic reproductions of human like figures. It's how children learn to come to terms with the world.
  10. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:37
    Originally posted by TheSkipper

TheSkipper
    LOL! Dirty rascal. 😉
  11. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 19:57
    Sounds to me like capitalism still works. The marketing dept at "NewBoy Designs" must be slapping themselves on the back daily for coming up with this little gem.
  12. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I don't believe that it has a subliminal effect on the upbringing of children. I played with Action Man when I was young, but I'm not a raving latent homosexual with too much testosterone and a desire to carry a gun and seek out nazis wherever they may be found. Dolls are a symptom of the culture, not a cause for it. So what if muslim children are enjoy ...[text shortened]... play with manufactured toys, rather than children using their imagination and making their own.
    I had a gollywog when I was little but he got severley burnt when my brother and I would lite fires under the house next to a gas tank.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree