1. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '05 03:28
    "Big Bang
    Theory that suggests that about 15 billion years ago all of the matter and energy in the Universe was concentrated into an area smaller than a atom. At this instant, matter, energy, space and time did not exist. Then suddenly, the Universe began to expand at an incredible rate and matter, energy, space and time came into being. As the Universe expanded, matter began to coalesce into gas clouds, and then stars and planets. Some scientists believe that this expansion is finite and will one day cease. After this point in time, the Universe will begin to collapse until a Big Crunch occurs."

First question: Could something physical (a thing smaller than an atom) fit into nothing (no space)?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Jul '05 05:59
    Originally posted by bobbob1056th
    "Big Bang
    Theory that suggests that about 15 billion years ago all of the matter and energy in the Universe was concentrated into an area smaller than a atom. At this instant, matter, energy, space and time did not exist. Then suddenly, the Universe began to expand at an incredible rate and matter, energy, space and time came into being. As the Unive ...[text shortened]... t question: Could something physical (a thing smaller than an atom) fit into nothing (no space)?
    A singularity is not nothing; go back to school.
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Jul '05 13:15
    "Big Bang
    Theory that suggests that about 15 billion years ago all of the matter and energy in the Universe was concentrated into an area smaller than a atom. At this instant, matter, energy, space and time did not exist. Then suddenly, the Universe began to expand at an incredible rate and matter, energy, space and time came into being. As the Unive ...[text shortened]... t question: Could something physical (a thing smaller than an atom) fit into nothing (no space)?
    It could if God willed it.
  4. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 00:431 edit
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    It could if God willed it.
    Yes, I have already written a lengthy (by my standards; it is about 1,000 words I think) essay about the subject. I, of course, have stated in it that the big bang is a possiblity only if God created the matter that "started" everything. However, I do not have the time to type it up and I may or may not find the time in the next 12 days before I go on a long vacation. In the essay I point out reasons why the big bang is scientifically and logically impossible to be the origin of the universe.

no1marauder, have I not said or implied "a singularity is nothing"? I have not even mentioned a singularity! The fact is the single particle is not even a singularity! So you have brought up a good point. I will elaborate given the time if a reader does not understand (and lets me know, of course). I have a lot to say on the subject all of which is objective but as I stated earlier, I don't have the time. So thanks guys, for keeping this thread somewhat alive and showing interest.

Sincerely,
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    03 Jul '05 09:52
    "Big Bang
    The simple answer is No.
    Ekpyrotic theory calls for the big crunch/This theory is being superceded by it big brother a superstring modification of the Cyclic Theory.

Also a closed relativistic universe would call for an eventual big crunch. However, at present, measurements call for an open universe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree