1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 17:45
    I was just watching the TV and a piece on the gemstone 'Jet' came up and they said that Jet is compressed carbon, not unlike coal, which has been squished for millions of years. Now, to all you Young Earth people, what have you got to say about gemstones? Do you believe that they were created as is and dumped in the earth? Or do you have some other explanation?
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 18:37
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I was just watching the TV and a piece on the gemstone 'Jet' came up and they said that Jet is compressed carbon, not unlike coal, which has been squished for millions of years. Now, to all you Young Earth people, what have you got to say about gemstones? Do you believe that they were created as is and dumped in the earth? Or do you have some other explanation?
    Some scientists in New Zealand, I think it was, were able to produce coal by putting wood under enormous pressure and heat for a week. I'll see if I can find the article, but it was a long time ago, so no guarantees.
  3. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 18:41
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Sigh... Poor Starrman. Still trying to use his brain for logical and factual arguments.

Now grab your head with both of your hands, that's right get a firm grip, walk over to the sturdiest wall you can find, and slam your head against it repeatedly. There, that's much better isn't it?
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 18:51
    Originally posted by wib
    Sigh... Poor Starrman. Still trying to use his brain for logical and factual arguments.

Now grab your head with both of your hands, that's right get a firm grip, walk over to the sturdiest wall you can find, and slam your head against it repeatedly. There, that's much better isn't it?
    Heyyyy! 😠 Whatcha implying here? 😛😵
  5. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 19:21
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Heyyyy! 😠 Whatcha implying here? 😛😵
    Sorry Halitose. Wasn't pointing the the finger at you. I posted right after you but didn't see you had posted. I was just expecting Starrman to get a barrage of interpreted scripture thrown at him. 🙂

I'm still expecting it.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 19:31
    Originally posted by wib
    Sorry Halitose. Wasn't pointing the the finger at you. I posted right after you but didn't see you had posted. I was just expecting Starrman to get a barrage of interpreted scripture thrown at him. 🙂

I'm still expecting it.
    lol
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '05 21:37
    Originally posted by wib

Such is my lot wib, such is my lot 😞
  8. Not Kansas
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 04:25
    Some scientists in New Zealand, I think it was, were able to produce coal by putting wood under enormous pressure and heat for a week. I'll see if I can find the article, but it was a long time ago, so no guarantees.
    I wonder how much energy they put into making that piece of coal and what fraction could be given back by burning it.
    I don't know why I wonder that, kinda nerdy really ...
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 04:421 edit
    From memory they used conditions that don't exist anywhere on the earth.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 07:18
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    ...don't exist anywhere on earth at present.

Incidently, so did the miller experiment.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 07:20
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    I wonder how much energy they put into making that piece of coal and what fraction could be given back by burning it.
    I don't know why I wonder that, kinda nerdy really ...
    Yes. That kinda wastes the idea of making coal and then burning it later for energy. Sorry, no solution yet for the draining of our natural resources.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 07:25
    ...don't exist anywhere on earth [b]at present.

Incidently, so did the miller experiment.[/b]
    There was no 'at present' in my sentence and neither should there be.
  13. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 15:34
    Except during the experiment, at the very least...
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 16:44
    Originally posted by echecero
    Except during the experiment, at the very least...
    Oh well that explains it then.

It was those damn dinosaurs doing experiments when their cavemen riders were sleeping.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 17:171 edit
    There was no 'at present' in my sentence and neither should there be.
    Are you a big fan of uniformitarianism?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree