1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 17:35
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I couldn't agree more...

Trying to make everyone fit in a simple binary view of gender can cause enormous damage to those who
    do not fit neatly into these two little boxes... Even without people being homophobic.
    True.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 17:371 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Many people seem to think things like gender definition, gender identification, sexual orientation, etc. are so cut-and-dried and simple. The fact is that they are not. Of course, the homophobes do not allow themselves to come to grips with this, lest they have to give up their bigotry.
    The OP's question was about gender identification (sex) not orientation.

Are you evangelphobic ?

Can you link me to a recorded case of a female born with male sexual organs.
    Can you link me to a recorded case of a make born with female sexual organs.

I am literally running out the door and don't have time right now. But if you're all ready to provide such data send me a link.

I could be wrong.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 17:42
    There's even more to it than that:
    Intersex, in humans (not to be confused with hermaphroditism, which since the 20th Century has only referred to animals), is a variation in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, and/or genitals that do not allow an individual to be distinctly identified as female/male sex binary. Such variation may i ...[text shortened]... saicism and chimerism involve intersex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex

Satan at work!
  4. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 17:491 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Satan at work!
    It happens in the womb. So not Satan; God.

It's a shame to see someone cast such hateful aspersions in such an ignorant fashion.
  5. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 17:53
    Jesus loves the little children
    All the children of the world
    But if you're not a girl or boy
    You are Satan's little toy
    Jesus loves the little children of the world
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 17:57
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    It happens in the womb. So not Satan; God.

It's a shame to see someone cast such hateful aspersions in such an ignorant fashion.
    What is a shame, is that a Canadian with little learning should be blaming God for bad things. Shame, shame.
  7. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 17:571 edit
    What is a shame, is that a Canadian with little learning should be blaming God for bad things. Shame, shame.
    It's you who thinks it's bad, not me.

Proud to be Canadian. 🙂

Even more proud to be from Toronto, a city that loves and embraces all of God's creatures. 🙂 🙂
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 18:001 edit
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    It's you who thinks it's bad, not me.

Proud to be Canadian. 🙂

Even more proud to be from Toronto, a city that loves and embraces all of God's creatures. 🙂 🙂
    I like Canadians, but even some of them can be stupid. 😏
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 18:01
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    how does god define which gender a person is?
    He gives them copies of Playboy and Playgirl and sees which one they pick up first.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 18:092 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    The OP's question was about gender [b] identification (sex) not orientation.

Are you evangelphobic ?

I am literally running out the door and don't have time right now. But if you're all ready to provide such data send me a link.

I could be wrong.[/b]
    Put that post within context of what GF and I posted earlier on the previous page. Based on the your posting history, it's pretty clear that 'context' is a foreign concept to you, but it does matter.

The OP's question was about gender [b] identification (sex) not orientation.[/b]

Why are you pointing that out given the content of my post?:
    Many people seem to think things like gender definition, gender identification, sexual orientation, etc. are so cut-and-dried and simple. The fact is that they are not. Of course, the homophobes do not allow themselves to come to grips with this, lest they have to give up their bigotry.

Are you evangelphobic ?
    Given that the homophobia has been rampant of late on this forum, it seemed appropriate to point out the fact that homophobia has ignorance as its foundation. From what I can tell, it's largely a willful ignorance at that.
  11. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 18:11
    I like Canadians, but even some of them can be stupid. 😏
    You're not funny or clever.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 18:322 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    The OP's question was about gender [b] identification (sex) not orientation.

Are you evangelphobic ?

I could be wrong.[/b]
    Actually, going by the thread title, I assumed he was talking about gender definition.

Gender orientation (what gender one prefers) is an entirely different matter, as is gender identification (what gender one identifies as).

I just provided a textbook definition of gender.

Am I what? (Did you just make that word up?) I have as many fears as the next person (maybe more than some), but none of them have anything to do with anything evangelical.

I could search and scour the web all day for the links you want, but I'll just suffice it to say that gender abnormalities happen with surprising regularity (no, I do not know the percentages, but it's got to be on the low side). Try searching Wikipedia for "Intersex" as a start.

Edit: D'oh! ToO beat me to it.

Edit2: Ok, mea culpa. I thought this response to ToO was a response to me. Maybe I need new reading glasses. Hmmmph.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 18:411 edit
    There's even more to it than that:
    Intersex, in humans (not to be confused with hermaphroditism, which since the 20th Century has only referred to animals), is a variation in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, and/or genitals that do not allow an individual to be distinctly identified as female/male sex binary. Such variation may i saicism and chimerism involve intersex.

Yes, because of the recent threads here, I've been looking at this for most of the morning. I'm fully on board with this.

As well as the other pages on extra sex chromosomes, etc.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 18:561 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Wow are you wrong.

http://skepchick.org/2013/02/37609/

... This is where it becomes obvious that Hall does not understand the difference between sex and gender. The terms “women” and “men” are terms for gender; “female” and “male” are terms to refer to sex. She confusingly uses sex traits to describe gender differences. We certainly assign m ...[text shortened]... ple like biologist Anne Fausto-Sterling and medical anthropologist Katrina Karkazis. ...
    I've always disliked Will's articles. He's like the lone male (although I assume he's gay, so there's that) in a sea of chicks over there. I've also doubted his credentials. Cultural Anthropologist? Yeah, and I'm a monkey.

Here's the definition of "sex" according to The American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary:

sex (sěks)
    n.

The property or quality by which organisms are classified as female or male on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions.

Either of the two divisions, designated female and male, of this classification.

Females or males considered as a group.

The condition or character of being female or male; the physiological, functional, and psychological differences that distinguish the female and the male.

The sexual urge or instinct as it manifests itself in behavior.

Sexual intercourse.

Here's the definition of "gender" from the same source:

gender gen·der (jěn'dər)
    n.

The sex of an individual, male or female, based on reproductive anatomy.

Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.

Not sure out of what definition he's pulling the "women" and "men" out of. But then he usually clothes his opinions as facts everyone should know. There is scant difference between sex and gender to me. Sorry, Will.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Feb '13 20:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is blatantly incorrect.

What determines gender is one's genetic makeup.

if you get a Y chromosome from your dad, then you're male.

if you get an X chromosome from your dad, then you're female.

Mom always gives an X chromosome. If you have XY, you're male, if you have XX, you're female.

it doesn't matter what you got on the outside.
    Ignorant post!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree