Gish Gallop

Gish Gallop

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

The Gish gallop is a rhetorical technique in which a person in a debate attempts to overwhelm their opponent by providing an excessive number of arguments with no regard for the accuracy or strength of those arguments. [Wiki]

The Gish gallop is generally considered to be a fallacious (i.e. misleading) rhetorical technique, rather than a logical fallacy, since it doesn't represent a single and specific pattern of flawed reasoning.[effectiviology.com]

Who are some of the most ardent Gish gallopers here and what are some examples of their galloping?

Moves
07 Feb 22
1 edit

@fmf said
The Gish gallop is a rhetorical technique in which a person in a debate attempts to overwhelm their opponent by providing an excessive number of arguments with no regard for the accuracy or strength of those arguments. [Wiki]

[quote]The Gish gallop is generally considered to be a fallacious (i.e. misleading) rhetorical technique, rather than a logical fallacy, sin ...[text shortened]... re some of the most ardent Gish gallopers here and what are some examples of their galloping?
Jospehw in Thread 192167 ?

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@divegeester said
Jospehw in Thread 192167 ?
No, not really.

Here's a sampling...

If only you weren't so confused
You wouldn't be "on the fence" if you weren't so confused
It's not worth it to comment on what you said
You bore me to death
You obviously think you're a clever little fellow
it's just your usual blatherings
I know what you say, and I couldn't care less
You're boring.
All you have is your opinion. It's not worth arguing about.
I don't care about divegeester's, sonship's or kellyjay's claims
The problem is you don't know what you're talking about.
You're dumber than a box of left handed hammer handles.

It's not "Gish gallop". It's just someone afraid to discuss a topic who has a blend of two syndromes: [1] Mustposmustpostmustpost Syndrome, and [2] Mustsneermustsneermustsneer Syndrome.

Contentious

Moves
07 Feb 22

@fmf said

[quote]The Gish gallop is generally considered to be a fallacious (i.e. misleading) rhetorical technique, rather than a logical fallacy, sin ...[text shortened]... re some of the most ardent Gish gallopers here and what are some examples of their galloping?
Every liberal in the Debates Forum.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@contenchess said
Every liberal in the Debates Forum.
Both sides of the aisle, from what I have seen.