1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    21 Sep '07 14:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You have a prejudice about what Christianity is about which is not based on scripture and you prioritize that prejudice over what the Bible says.
    You have a prejudice about what Christianity is about which is not based on scripture and you prioritize that prejudice over what the Bible says. THOUSAND

I think it's called interpretation rather then prejudice. Over the years many have interpreted scripture in different ways (Jehovah's Witnesses for example use it to claim Jesus was not part of the trinity). I think it's quite clear what the Bible reveals about Christ and my views on it aren't exactly off beat. I think it is you that has the vested interest in making the Bible say what you want it to say. You achieve this through literalism , fragmented quoting , incoherent reasoning and a lack of understanding of how meanings , metaphor and language work.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '07 19:17
    What baby? You mean the fetus? It's not a baby yet.
    A "fetus" is an unborn baby. When a mother shows off her expected offsping to a friend while connected to the ultrasound machine, she never says "look at my beautiful FETUS." She says, "look at my beautiful BABY." Pro-abortion people like the word "fetus" because it de-personalizes the baby, thus making it easier to make a case for killing it.

Another point: Why do the pro-abortion people always use the word "choice." The "choice" to do what? It's a dishonest political tool.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 19:28
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    The Hebrew word which is here translated as "fearful" is deilov, which means timid, cowardly and fearful.

Timid and cowardly is not terrified. Nice try though you pompous douche. THOUSAND

....Ok , now could you find the hebrew word (for fear) in Luke by any chance?

You seem to think you have proved something or other (I know not what). I d ...[text shortened]... words so maybe if you do that part for the Luke quote you gave and leave the thinking to me ?
    I think I've made my point to anyone following this. I don't need to waste any more time on you since you won't offer anything of substance.
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    A "fetus" is an unborn baby. When a mother shows off her expected offsping to a friend while connected to the ultrasound machine, she never says "look at my beautiful FETUS." She says, "look at my beautiful BABY." Pro-abortion people like the word "fetus" because it de-personalizes the baby, thus making it easier to make a case for killing it.

A ...[text shortened]... use the word "choice." The "choice" to do what? It's a dishonest political tool.
    Why do the anti-abortion people dislike the word choice? Is because it implies free will? Is it because it ignores their personal beliefs? Anti-abortionites would force a women who has been raped by an escaped convict to bear that child to full term regardless of the psycological trauma it would inflict. Anti-abortionites believe every fetus concieved in poverty should be born to full term, then completely ignored by society. Anti-abortionites think women should have to bear the children of abusive fathers who raped them. Anti-abortionites believe that a women having an atopic pregnancy (fetus developes outside of the womb) should bear that fetus until both mother and fetus die, or until the fetus dies and the mother is left sterile. But what is most gauling to me is that the most ardent Anti-abortionites are men, and will never have to make those choices.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 20:46

A ...[text shortened]... use the word "choice." The "choice" to do what? It's a dishonest political tool.
    Expectant women also say that the baby is in their stomach. That doesn't mean it's true.
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 22:49
    I think I've made my point to anyone following this. I don't need to waste any more time on you since you won't offer anything of substance.
    I think I've made my point to anyone following this. I don't need to waste any more time on you since you won't offer anything of substance. THOUSAND

What a load of utter bull. It's pathetic . The original idea you put forward was even more laughable than the 'jesus promoting cannabilism' idea. It is you that offer no substance other than a purely literal comparison of two words taken with no contextual insight at all. You have found the hebrew for one word and then you won't look up the other one to compare it! Even in English the word fearful and fear are not the same and I have also shown how they can have different meanings in different contexts. Since the concept of the same or similar words taking on subtly different meanings in different contexts is so hard for you to grasp it's not surprising that you have thrown the chess board up in the air and walked off with your ball. Those reading will draw their own conclusions regarding who walked away and why. The deceptions will continue no doubt and I will be waiting to confront this simplistic kindergarden reading of scripture.

BTW- You can't be for real?! I had better lay off now just in case you are a spoof poster planted by the moderators.
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 22:53
    Expectant women also say that the baby is in their stomach. That doesn't mean it's true.
    Expectant women also say that the baby is in their stomach. That doesn't mean it's true. THOUSAND

....ha ha ha...I bet if you found that statement in the Bible you would take it literally and claim something or other about God meaning for women to digest their babies or something. This proves you do have some insight into context and metaphor .

BTW-Jesus said that we are to eat his body and drink his blood when breaking the bread....BUT....erhem...that doesn't mean it's true.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '07 02:51
    Originally posted by duecer
    Why do the anti-abortion people dislike the word choice? Is because it implies free will? Is it because it ignores their personal beliefs? Anti-abortionites would force a women who has been raped by an escaped convict to bear that child to full term regardless of the psycological trauma it would inflict. Anti-abortionites believe every fetus concieved in pove ...[text shortened]... me is that the most ardent Anti-abortionites are men, and will never have to make those choices.
    I find it fascinating that you have apparently interviewed every single person who is an anti-abortionist and found out what every single one of them believe.

I don't believe, for example, that a woman should be forced to raise her baby. She should have the option to give it up for adoption, so that refutes most of the objections in your screed.

Using your logic that it is "galling" for men to tell women that they can't have an abortion, then I can claim that it is galling for a person who was not aborted to destroy a fetus.
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 Sep '07 10:571 edit
    I find it fascinating that you have apparently interviewed every single person who is an anti-abortionist and found out what every single one of them believe.

I don't believe, for example, that a woman should be forced to raise her baby. She should have the option to give it up for adoption, so that refutes most of the objections in your screed.
    on, then I can claim that it is galling for a person who was not aborted to destroy a fetus.
    So glad you chose to not answer any of my questions.

And, by the way, there is no need to poll every single anti-abortionite about the questions, the vast majority has already made their positions known. As far as giving a child up for adoption, I stand by my original argumment that just carrying a rapist child to term only compounds the mental scarring, and puts on hold the healing process for more than a year(taking into account post partem depression). And WHAT DO we say to those women who WILL die wothout medical intervention?
    Your assertation that because I wasn't aborted, then I shouldn't abort a fetus; hmmmm... first I'm not a woman, so that choice does not belong to me. Second, your argument is illogical a does not follow b.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Sep '07 12:011 edit
    Some questions for ggaychessplayer:

1) Do you think a victim of rape should be forced to give birth to her baby?
    2) Do you thnk ectopic pregnancies should come to term?
    3) Do you think that the rights of an unborn child supervene those of a fully functioning autonomous person?
    4) Do you think it is cruel to force a life of suffering, poverty, disease, and crime on an unborn child rather than a termination, and in doing so supervene it's own choice, were it able to make one?
    5) Do you think a man should ever decide the fate of a woman's mental and physical health in relation to pregnancy/childbirth?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Sep '07 12:37
    Originally posted by Starrman
    4) Do you think it is cruel to force a life of suffering, poverty, disease, and crime on an unborn child rather than a termination, and in doing so supervene it's own choice, were it able to make one?
    You are implying that you know what choice it would make. I cant see how you could support such a claim. You are also apparently assuming that 'a life of suffering, poverty, disease, and crime' is a known, guaranteed outcome for some unborn children which is not the case.
    If any of your question 4 is an argument for abortion then does it mean you support forced abortions of all fetus's that fit your criteria? This would not only include the results of rape but also pregnancies where the parents are poor or are members of a minority race etc.
    At the very least, answering 'Yes' to 4 implies that it is cruel for a black woman in the US to carry her child to term.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Sep '07 13:091 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are implying that you know what choice it would make. I cant see how you could support such a claim. You are also apparently assuming that 'a life of suffering, poverty, disease, and crime' is a known, guaranteed outcome for some unborn children which is not the case.
    If any of your question 4 is an argument for abortion then does it mean you support 'Yes' to 4 implies that it is cruel for a black woman in the US to carry her child to term.
    You misunderstand the intention of the question. I'm not concerned whether the fetus would or would not choose, one way or the other, neither am I concerned whether in the real world there is a such a neccessary life outcome. I am concerned with ggay's response to the question, which I fear will now be tainted, having read your reply.

If the notion of forced abortion came out of the question it was unintentional, I am pro the right to choose, not under which circumstances aboriton must be carried out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree