1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 17:58
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That is one of the more convoluted sentences I've seen in some time. Maybe you should invest in a few commas.

Are you really too stupid to see the distinction here? Compare the following two scenarios:

[i][b]God: Salvation, salvation, step right up, folks, and get yer salvation! Don't miss out! You there, would you like some salvation?

Man: Uh, ...[text shortened]... t on "the good news." I'm being tortured for all eternity for exercising my free will.
    In my opinion an existence apart from the source of all life and love is torture. What's left of any meaning?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 17:58
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Yeah, but if you take him to the woodshed and beat him as “treatment” for his having contracted the measles...?
    It's tempting. Let me think on it.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 18:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    In my opinion an existence apart from the source of all life and love is torture. What's left of any meaning?
    Your opinion, eh? Well, everyone's got one, I suppose...
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 19:00
    Your opinion, eh? Well, everyone's got one, I suppose...
    So your existence would be worth living without such things?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 19:04
    So your existence would be worth living without such things?
    What things? Opinions, or offers of salvation?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 19:27
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Some good points here. I agree that I will need to change my world view, but it is finding and adopting a more suitable world view that is difficult. Perhaps here in lies the problem.

I'm not too sure about the significance of my background here, as I was hoping for a one-approach-to-loving-everyone-that-fits-all solution. But maybe you are right, pe ...[text shortened]... ill me so there has to be a balance, but how do i find that balance?

Any comments?
    Yes, lots of comments. Unfortunately even if we were speaking face-to-face, I imagine it'd take hours upon hours of going back and forth to make progress. I find it difficult to help people make a quantum leap in understanding. I'm guessing there's a way, but I certainly don't understand the best way to go about it. That said, there seems to be at least a few areas where you'd likely have to make a quantum leap, such as "the self", "love" and most likely "maturity".

Let's start with "maturity". What's your definition?
  7. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 20:08
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Yes, lots of comments. Unfortunately even if we were speaking face-to-face, I imagine it'd take hours upon hours of going back and forth to make progress. I find it difficult to help people make a quantum leap in understanding. I'm guessing there's a way, but I certainly don't understand the best way to go about it. That said, there seems to be at least a ...[text shortened]... d most likely "maturity".

Let's start with "maturity". What's your definition?
    Ok lets start with maturity. I would like to know why you brought that word into it. Why do you want me to tell you what maturity means?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 20:293 edits
    Ok lets start with maturity. I would like to know why you brought that word into it. Why do you want me to tell you what maturity means?
    Anyway, I don't suppose i will ever work all that out and nor do i want to right now. I just think if I can learn to love everyone then the world will be a better place for me to be in.....surrounded by people who i love. If I loved everyone then I would be a good person, and I would know this and would have a great self image. I would love myself, which is important if you want to be happy.

Considering that you don't seem to be in a place where you sincerely want to find out, it seems unlikely that you'll come to understand.

If you do come to understand, you'll see what "maturity" has to do with it. For now, I want to get an idea of your current understanding. Plus, the more thought you put into it, the my likely you'll come to "own it". As a matter of fact, perhaps you should try to answer your own question.

If you're only interested in a 'five minute fix', I doubt you'll ever get there. Perhaps someone else has one for you.
  9. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Anyway, I don't suppose i will ever work all that out and nor do i want to right now. I just think if I can learn to love everyone then the world will be a better place for me to be in.....surrounded by people who i love. If I loved everyone then I would be a good person, and I would know this and would have a great self image. I would love myself, whi five minute fix', I doubt you'll ever get there. Perhaps someone else has one for you.
    Of course I don't think it is a five minute fix, that goes without saying. It is a life-long journey. I was hoping for something a bit more psychology or perhaps NLP based rather than scripture based. I spent a little time with buddhists and from this realised that the happy life is to put energy into love for other people. The thing is when I tried it I came up against so many obstacles. I realise that these obstacles can be overcome by following religious guidence but I don't have any firm religious beliefs.

I just thought there might be a set of non-religious guidelines somewhere out there. Its true I don't want to spend years reading about something i don't believe in, but I would be very interested in any pragmatic advice on the subject of developing in a way that is conducive to loving everyone. Even if the guidelines only took 5 minutes to read, I am sure learning to follow them would be a life's work.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 21:072 edits
    Of course I don't think it is a five minute fix, that goes without saying. It is a life-long journey. I was hoping for something a bit more psychology or perhaps NLP based rather than scripture based. I spent a little time with buddhists and from this realised that the happy life is to put energy into love for other people. The thing is when I tried it ines only took 5 minutes to read, I am sure learning to follow them would be a life's work.
    If you have some knowledge of Buddhism, then you should have some idea of how to get where you want to go. The difficult part is in developing the depth of understanding required to escape the 'delusions' that hinder you. You can read any number of texts that are out there to help you do that.

If you're looking for pragmatic advice geared to yourself, then whoever you want to advise you will likely need to know not only where you want to go, but also where you ARE so as to best guide you on your journey.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 21:29
    What things? Opinions, or offers of salvation?
    If we consider that God is the source of all life and love and we reject that source what then is left in the next life?
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 23:041 edit
    If we consider that God is the source of all life and love and we reject that source what then is left in the next life?
    The same source of life, pursuing the same ends with the same consuming fire of love...
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 00:45
    Originally posted by vistesd
    The same source of life, pursuing the same ends with the same consuming fire of love...
    I wish that were true, vistesd, but is it true? I suppose I could also convince myself that I have just won $100.000.000.000 but is that true as well? I can't help but wonder how many people form their theology around the way they want things to be rather than the way it actually is. I think we have all been guilty of this to some degree including myself at times. When I look at the world I see a world at war, however. I also take a look at the world and see humanity in desperate need for love including myself. So what do you think all the fighting is about? Is all the fighting due to people pursuing love or is it a symptom of a lack of love in ones heart? Either way your theology would have to conceed that a God of love has created a universe in which he is absent to various degrees because people are either fighting for love or fight because of an absense of love in ones heart. My theology states that all the trouble in the world is due to creation choosing to distance itself from a God of love due to free will and God obliges them by distancing himself from them. So in the end, does God simply forsake this free will and force himself upon them?
  14. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 20:04
    I know that if i could love everyone around me I would be infinitely happy, and it was even my New Year's resolution to learn how to love everybody 2 years ago, but it's hard because so many people are so difficult to love.

I understand that this is a major challenge for anyone attempting to follow a religion, so how do you approach the problem of lo ...[text shortened]... or dealing with it. Maybe we can help each other in this monumental task. Sincerely.

Andy
    You can only learn to love others unconditionally if you love yourself unconditionally first , being loved by God unconditionally helps as well.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 12:09
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    You can only learn to love others unconditionally if you love yourself unconditionally first , being loved by God unconditionally helps as well.
    My paster gave me a new perspective on loving yourself He said something to the effect that you have no need to tell people to love themselves. In fact, they will naturally do so. The problem is really learning to love others/God equally or more than yourself. Food for thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree