1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 09:44
    Originally posted by JesusFreak2562000
    now prove god doesn't exiest How can you look at this world and not be struck with awe. how can say this is chance any close to the sun we would burn up any farther from it and we would freeze chance ha! we know he God creator of hevaen and earth has a plan and knows all even how many hairs are on your head and he has a purpose for everthing
    Would help if you understood Occam's Razor.
  2. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 10:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's up to you to prove to me that god is real, not for me to do the opposite. The atheist has no need to prove anything.
    A: "I am not swimming in this river, because of the man-eating crocodiles."

B: "What crocodiles?"

A: "Well, C says he saw D get taken by one just last week."

B: "So YOU have not seen one yourself then?"

A: "Well, I came down to the river yesterday and I saw a glimpse of what looked like the head of a large croc just before it dipped out of view."

B: "Rubbish! You have no PROOF. I am going for a swim..."

"The atheist has no need to prove anything."
    Hmmm, I wonder who has the most to lose: The guy missing out on the swim or the one risking becoming lunch?
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 10:11
    so do you me your going to be a muder or not eat the bible says to do those
    I suspect you are actually an atheist attempting to give theists a bad name. C'mon out with it - who are reaaally?
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 10:14
    Originally posted by JadeMantis

A: "Well, I came down to the river yesterday and I saw a glimpse of what looked like the head of a large croc just before it dipped out of vi ...[text shortened]... e most to lose: The guy missing out on the swim or the one risking becoming lunch?
    Yes, but we KNOW crocodiles EXIST. We also KNOW that crocodiles can, and do, swim (and that their normal hunting method is aquatic). We also know what the geographical range of crocodiles is. If someone used your crocodile line of argument on me here, I'd say, "there are no crocodiles (outside of zoos) in New Zealand", and happily go off for my swim. Now, were I in the Nothern Territories of Oz, I'd probably worry about crocs. But that's just me. Nasty creatures.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 10:15
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I suspect you are actually an atheist attempting to give theists a bad name. C'mon out with it - who are reaaally?
    Can't you guess? He told me already! Prod him with a stick, it worked for I!
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 10:24
    Originally posted by JadeMantis

A: "Well, I came down to the river yesterday and I saw a glimpse of what looked like the head of a large croc just before it dipped out of vi ...[text shortened]... e most to lose: The guy missing out on the swim or the one risking becoming lunch?
    Where I come from I would not go into any water where I cant see the bottom. However, that is not the same as not going out side your door for fear of being hit by a meteorite! Nor do I fear the "Flying Spagetti Monster" that I keep hearing about.
    If there are no crocs in the river then it is the person who refuses to swim that looses out!
    If there is no God then it is the suicide bombers who loose the most!
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 10:30
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Can't you guess? He told me already! Prod him with a stick, it worked for I!
    Can't you guess?

Nope. He's playing his hand quite well.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 10:36
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Can't you guess?

Nope. He's playing his hand quite well.[/b]
    I can't... oh, yes, I CAN remember what I said to get him riled up! Ha ha!

Oh, man. He's a proper Die-Hard-Christian - you're gonna have to go for it to get him to crack! Give em' hell!

Have fun mate!!
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 11:47
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    So you would only believe if a god that you can fully understand? One you can put in a tidy little box? That's not God the creator.

Disagreeable things show the truth of the Bible. If I were trying to make up a story to convince people, I wouldn't include many of the things in the Bible. There in the Book because that's they way it happened. Just bec ...[text shortened]... e. In fact, Satan would love it if you didn't believe in it. Makes his job easier.

DF
    All I am saying is that if I were God I would not put anything or let anything into the bible that was disagreeable. I would have made it almost a flawless book and I would have made it agree with the world not in my view the other way around. There are things that make me doubt the creation story many people think it is true I do not. If I were God and I were writing a bible. I would mention a creation story that could be worked with evolution and the big band theory (not ID though).

Another thing about God I could only ever imagine a fair God. I see no hope, no trust, in a non fair God and no certainty. So we have a fair God as I have decided with a fair God is the only way you will be judged. I see it immensely unfair that when being judged someone’s religion would be used as a major factor. I think they would be judged on everything and if in effect they are a good person they have nothing to fear. I have already explored this to a level in another thread. This explains why I feel if there is a God I will be treated fairly whatever happens.

The difference is between the child in the road and hell is that I know, I am 100% sure that there is a risk to that child. I know that cars go on roads and if the child is not seen then there will be an unfortunate event. I am really not worried about hell in the same why that I do not fear alien abduction when I leave my house. Some people fear hell and some people fear aliens. I do not. It would seems ridiculous if I shouted to the child “beware of aliens” as you can’t see or find any proof for them you just have to take some peoples word for them or not and think they are mistaken. I’ve been hit by a car about 5 years ago and I know it’s a very real threat. At this moment in time I have not been to hell or abducted by aliens.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 13:11
    atheist beware god is real prove me wrong
    Reality is the universe and that which we can observe.
    God is that which we cannot understand nor observe.
    Therefore God is not Real.

QED
  11. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 13:34
    Originally posted by Will Everitt
    All I am saying is that if I were God I would not put anything or let anything into the bible that was disagreeable. I would have made it almost a flawless book and I would have made it agree with the world not in my view the other way around. There are things that make me doubt the creation story many people think it is true I do not. If I were God and ...[text shortened]... w it’s a very real threat. At this moment in time I have not been to hell or abducted by aliens.
    If the Bible were flawless, didn't have a single disagreeable thing in it, skeptics would say, "See. It's too perfect. The real world isn't like that. If this is from God, He must not know much about this world." The Bible is written in human history. The best that can be done is to tell the truth, which is what the Bible does. BTW, there's never been an archeological dig that contradicts a story in the Bible.

God is fair and we are judged on what we did in our lives with what we got. You, for example, know of Jesus and what Christians claim Him to be. What you do with that knowlege is what you will be judged upon. Someone who never heard of Him (or never got an accurate picture of Him) will be judged less harshly. (Luke 12:48)

The child in the road may have never seen a car, and so your warning, from the child's point of view, is the same as a warning about aliens. You're dismissing warnings about hell from people who know about spiritual things, much like the child dismisses the adult's warning. If you don't believe hell exists, check it out. Look into things like NDE's and explain how a devout active atheist becomes a minister after his horrible NDE, etc.

The truth is our there if you're willing to accept it. But don't expect an infinite God to fit into your finite logic. Some of Him is bound to ooze out.

DF
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 14:00
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    BTW, there's never been an archeological dig that contradicts a story in the Bible.
    There are many many archeological digs that contradict stories in the Bible. The only problem is that you probably do not believe in archeology unless it supports your beliefs.

You're dismissing warnings about hell from people who know about spiritual things, much like the child dismisses the adult's warning.

If you are an adult looking at a child, you are convinced that you know more than him. But I am not convinced that you know more than me. Rather I would compare it to whether you would listen to the rantings of a madman and take it as truth. Many people claim to "know" about spiritual things, but very few seem to be able to explain anything spiritual futher than sweeping statements about having blind faith.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 14:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Reality is the universe and that which we can observe.
    God is that which we cannot understand nor observe.
    Therefore God is not Real.

QED
    For a self-acclaimed master of logic, you pack a pretty mediocre punch.
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 14:21
    There are many many archeological digs that contradict stories in the Bible. The only problem is that you probably do not believe in archeology unless it supports your beliefs.

[b]You're dismissing warnings about hell from people who know about spiritual things, much like the child dismisses the adult's warning.

If you are an adult looking at a ...[text shortened]... able to explain anything spiritual futher than sweeping statements about having blind faith.[/b]
    There are many many archeological digs that contradict stories in the Bible.

Please. I can hardly wait. The suspense in unbearable.
  15. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 15:35

[b]You're dismissing warnings about hell from people who know about spiritual things, much like the child dismisses the adult's warning.

If you are an adult looking at a ...[text shortened]... able to explain anything spiritual futher than sweeping statements about having blind faith.[/b]
    I've never heard of one. Please provide the info so I can research it.

Which spritual topic would you like explained? I'll do my best to avoid sweeping statements about blind faith.

DF

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree