1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 19:012 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Who was on a cross for three days? Who are you talking about?
    Christ.

I was responding to the assumption that Christ could not contain his temper yet he was flogged and beaten and then nailed to a cross for 3 days without once loosing his temper. In fact, he did not so much as utter a word of protest. However, it is assumed that perhas Christ lost his temper in the temple with a whip when he drove out the money changers. It just does not add up.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 02:47
    I tend to agree with Sake that love transcends duality—but then, I am a non-dualist...

With that said, however, I’ll try a stab (abbreviating some of what I’ve written before):

(1) Love is a passionate caring and concern for the other (as well as oneself). That is still in the realm of duality, though I would say that even here it represents an expansion of oneself toward the other, rather than a diminishment of oneself vis-à-vis the other.

(2) Intimate love is a mutual sharing of the above in which, consensually, the I-Thou “ego-boundaries” are allowed to collapse in the formation of a We that is larger. Again, it is an expansion, not a diminishment.

If that second one sounds like a lame attempt at a clinical-sounding formulation of a “mystical” state, so be it: As Sake points out, it really cannot be described, except perhaps poetically, metaphorically. It is in the domain of the ineffable.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 02:572 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I tend to agree with Sake that love transcends duality—but then, I am a non-dualist...

With that said, however, I’ll try a stab (abbreviating some of what I’ve written before):

(1) Love is a passionate caring and concern for the other (as well as oneself). That is still in the realm of duality, though I would say that even here it represents a ...[text shortened]... be described, except perhaps poetically, metaphorically. It is in the domain of the ineffable.
    I don't disagree entirely and, in fact, I don't think ones needs to be a non-dualist to come to similar conclusions. For example, how does one define God who is described as love if he exists as a soveriegn being such as myself? Do words not fail us? As I recall, he told Moses to say that his name is "I am that I am". Also, how do we create an image of him? In fact, was it not forbidden in Mosaic law to create an image of God even though they were not non-dualists?
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 03:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't disagree entirely and, in fact, I don't think ones needs to be a non-dualist to come to similar conclusions. For example, how does one define God who is described as love if he exists as a soveriegn being such as myself? Do words not fail us? As I recall, he told Moses to say that his name is "I am that I am". Also, how do we create an image of hi ...[text shortened]... ot forbidden in Mosaic law to create an image of God even though they were not non-dualists?
    I don't disagree entirely and, in fact, I don't think ones needs to be a non-dualist to come to similar conclusions.

No, I don’t think one needs to be a non-dualist either, to come to similar conclusions.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 19:13
    I just read this quote and thought I would share, "The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its love." - Henry Scougal.

So what is our worth? Is it not based upon our love we share or do not share?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree