1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 02:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    Most Christians I know interpret the "six days" story as a metaphor. The biblical text plainly contains a metaphor about the "six days". Greek, Hebrew, English ~ all these languages have metaphors.
    When you open your Bible, and it's just you and The Book alone, there are two present. You and God. The Word of God, the Bible, as you read, is God speaking to you directly.

We do not interpret it. It says what it says. We believe it or not.

2 Peter 1:20
    Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

The Word of God, as it is contained in a book we call the Bible, when studied, interprets itself and reveals what it means without human intervention or definition.

It's the only written work of its kind on earth.

1 Thessalonians 2:13
    For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received [it] not [as] the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 04:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    When you open your Bible, and it's just you and The Book alone, there are two present. You and God. The Word of God, the Bible, as you read, is God speaking to you directly.

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

The ...[text shortened]... men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
    Are there any metaphors in your religious literature?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 10:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are there any metaphors in your religious literature?
    It's not 'religious' literature. It's the Word of God. Of course there are metaphors, as well as allegory and symbolism and hyperbole and everything else, and more! Much more.

The Word of God is life. Without it there is only death and separation from the author of life.

It's the simple truth. Strait up and strait at you. Probably why it's so easy to disbelieve.
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 10:18

The ...[text shortened]... men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
    People reinterpret the bible all the time. This is why there is so much diversity, so many different religions.

There are different levels in which the bible it written. The literary, the creative and the inspired. We are always criscrossing these forms all the time. Every church uses parts of the bible for it's own purpose.
  5. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 10:32
    You know, I believe the earth is old. No one really knows how old, but God's Word says that all the biological life on this planet was made in six days.

Anyone that calls themselves a Christian aught not to contradict God on this. The scripture is clear about how long it took God to place life on this planet. Science be damned that presumes to teach a theory to the contrary.
    I have always found it interesting, that after God created the heavens and the earth, that the Spirit of God hovered over the waters. (this singular passage is called, the literal interpretation)

But then we also find the Spirit of God hovering over Mary, and the Spirit of God hovering over the Apostles. (the above paragraph and these two statements together would be the creative interpretation)

When, in scripture we see the Spirit hovering, i would conclude the idea that the Spirit brings Jesus. Mary conceived the Word. The earth received the Word, the Apostles received the Word. (this is the inspired interpretation)
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 10:35
    It's not 'religious' literature. It's the Word of God. Of course there are metaphors, as well as allegory and symbolism and hyperbole and everything else, and more! Much more.
    That'll be why many Christians look upon the "six days" creation story as a kind of metaphor even if you personally do not.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 11:48
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    People reinterpret the bible all the time. This is why there is so much diversity, so many different religions.

There are different levels in which the bible it written. The literary, the creative and the inspired. We are always criscrossing these forms all the time. Every church uses parts of the bible for it's own purpose.
    Like the prosperity Gospel, right?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 11:57
    I have always found it interesting, that after God created the heavens and the earth, that the Spirit of God hovered over the waters. (this singular passage is called, the literal interpretation)

But then we also find the Spirit of God hovering over Mary, and the Spirit of God hovering over the Apostles. (the above paragraph and these two statements toge ...[text shortened]... e earth received the Word, the Apostles received the Word. (this is the inspired interpretation)
    The Spirit of God hovered over the waters because the earth was covered in water and was being made out of water.

For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water,

(2 Peter 3:5 NASB)
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 01:00

The Word of God is life. Without it there is only death and separation from the author of life.

It's the simple truth. Strait up and strait at you. Probably why it's so easy to disbelieve.
    Ok so we have the 6 days of creation, then later in the same Word of God (and by the way, i know the Bible is the Word of God, which is the Word become flesh, which is the Word named Jesus) There is (in the same Word) a man stating, "one day is like a thousand years to God". So in the literary view you have the Word saying 6 days, then you have the Word saying 6 thousand years.

And this is where my thought process continues, that God being an eternal being - "what is a day" to Him. I mean really! But I know God is God. I know , if He wanted to, His day could have been a nano-second to us.

Personally, all of this discussion on creation is ilrelivant. Great, you believe as you do. Is it really going to save you when the moment comes. I mean (in a smart donkey kind of way) is there going to be some kind of quiz in the end?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 07:44
    Ok so we have the 6 days of creation, then later in the same Word of God (and by the way, i know the Bible is the Word of God, which is the Word become flesh, which is the Word named Jesus) There is (in the same Word) a man stating, "one day is like a thousand years to God". So in the literary view you have the Word saying 6 days, then you have the Word say ...[text shortened]... comes. I mean (in a smart donkey kind of way) is there going to be some kind of quiz in the end?
    It is clear to anyone with common sense, including Jews, that a day in Genesis is not a thousand years, but a day like Saturday or Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday. That is, a day in Genesis is clearly a normal 24 hour day. That's because it makes no sense that God would tell man to work 6 days of a thousand years each and then rest for 1 day of a thousand years. And then one would need to explain how there could be a thousand years for one evening and morning.

I believe Occam's Razor applies here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree