Have you ever thought about eternity?

Have you ever thought about eternity?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
Thats what happens if you are an Atheist.
It happens exactly the same way even if you are the Pope. Simply you believe it doesn't.
Either way, if I am wrong, and God exists afterall, I can face him face to face with a clear conscience. And I'll tell him I'll never be blind and will always think by my own head. If he doesn't like, it's not my problem.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
29 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by serigado
Not comforting.
Religious belief is comforting.
I like to live in reality.
Religious belief can be comforting but the living God is another matter. How cosy do you think it was following Jesus for the disciples. Did not most or all end up being executed? Trust me once you figure out who God really is you will want to run and hide. Yes belief can be comforting but it does not start with comfort . Comfort only comes the other side of repentance and having your self righteousness smashed to pieces. If you don't think there are times when christians wished God did not infact exist you do not understand it. God will wreck your life if you let him get anywhere near you.

s

Moves
30 Sep 07

Originally posted by knightmeister
Religious belief can be comforting but the living God is another matter. How cosy do you think it was following Jesus for the disciples. Did not most or all end up being executed? Trust me once you figure out who God really is you will want to run and hide. Yes belief can be comforting but it does not start with comfort . Comfort only comes the other s ...[text shortened]... exist you do not understand it. God will wreck your life if you let him get anywhere near you.
Thanks for the advice.
I'll never let god get near me. Nor the IRS.

w

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by serigado
Not comforting.
Religious belief is comforting.
I like to live in reality.
Be careful what you wish for. 😉

w

Moves
01 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Can someone choose to be good in hell or is all free will removed once you get there?
Well there is a problem. Biblically it says that ALL "good" things come from God. So the question begs to be asked, if hell is seperation from such "goodness", what is left?

Then again, I guess there is only one way to find out for sure. I just don't plan to be the one finding it out. 😉

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by whodey
Well there is a problem. Biblically it says that ALL "good" things come from God. So the question begs to be asked, if hell is seperation from such "goodness", what is left?
Freedom from "good" smitings and such. That part of "goodness" I can live without.

w

Moves
01 Oct 07
4 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Freedom from "good" smitings and such. That part of "goodness" I can live without.
What if the "smiting" are done to save you or others you love? What if it is done to save mankind as a whole?

Notice that there are no smitings during or after the time of Christ. However, there were smitings to pave the way for his coming. 😉

R
The Rams

Moves
04 Oct 07

Originally posted by vistesd
Deeply and often...

Now, here’s the rub(s)*—

Under what conditions would you want that not to be true?

If it is true, do you think that enhances your existence now, or diminishes it?

If it is true, do you want to love less, or more?

If it is true, do you want to be crueler or kinder?

Where do ...[text shortened]... nature from the beginning?

* A few of them, anyway.
What is the original nature of humans...

"Born a saint; die a sinner. Born a sinner; die a saint."

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
05 Oct 07

What if the "smiting" are done to save you or others you love? What if it is done to save mankind as a whole?

Notice that there are no smitings during or after the time of Christ. However, there were smitings to pave the way for his coming. 😉
I don't believe smiting is ever necessary for any reason for an omnipotent being.

Now, if he was limited, I might be more sympathetic. However God could just as easily accomplished his goals without smiting, assuming omnipotence.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
05 Oct 07
1 edit

But there will be smitings once again, and the hand that pimpslaps mankind will belong to Jesus.

See 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9