Dude!
    I know, right!
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 05:27
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/25/first-full-body-transplant-two-years-away-surgeon-claim

Is this ethical? Would you want it for yourself?

Does the resulting body-head combination house two souls?
    I believe this is crazy talk.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 07:292 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    How will a body transplant help?.
    Help with what?

[edit]Are you asking how it will help the person asking for it? Well presumably their current body is worse than being paraplegic. Maybe they have incurable cancer, multiple organ failure, or some other incurable disease that doesn't affect the head. If I can move my eyes and mouth, I might prefer to live than to die. You seem to be saying I must be forced to die.

And no I'm not advocating compulsory euthanasia, you cannot read that into my post.
    You are at a minimum advocating compulsory refusal of life saving treatment.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 07:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ethics? Who cares about ethics, it's all about science man!
    So, do you think this would be an unethical thing to do?

I agree with twhitehead in that I don't see any ethical issues per se, but maybe you do?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 11:44
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/25/first-full-body-transplant-two-years-away-surgeon-claim

Is this ethical? Would you want it for yourself?

Does the resulting body-head combination house two souls?
    So essentially you want to transplant your head onto a human?

If so, it will be the first rat/human transplant.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 11:44
    So, do you think this would be an unethical thing to do?

I agree with twhitehead in that I don't see any ethical issues per se, but maybe you do?
    Ethics? Who cares about ethics? Ethics is soooo yesterday. It's all about science man!

So if it can be done try it. 😵
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 11:51
    Ethics? Who cares about ethics? Ethics is soooo yesterday. It's all about science man!

So what if the head is a person who committed a capital murder, headed to the electric chair. With the head on a new body would he or she still get the ax? If so, why do the operation in the first place.

Also, you better cut the old head off and get circulation to it in about 5 minutes or THAT head will be full of squishy goo, not a brain.

Don't know how they could even contemplate doing a head transplant when they can't even reconnect a broken spinal cord.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 11:54

Many people care about ethics.

Would you consider this procedure unethical?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 12:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't know how they could even contemplate doing a head transplant when they can't even reconnect a broken spinal cord.
    If I was short a body, I would be contemplating it. I would be willing to wait a few years after the operation for them to figure out the whole spinal chord thing.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 14:03
    Many people care about ethics.

Would you consider this procedure unethical?
    Ethics based upon what?

You have no respect for my position on morality.

After all, all that matters in life is science. We can't be concerned with sentimental notions of right and wrong.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 14:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So what if the head is a person who committed a capital murder, headed to the electric chair. With the head on a new body would he or she still get the ax? If so, why do the operation in the first place.

Also, you better cut the old head off and get circulation to it in about 5 minutes or THAT head will be full of squishy goo, not a brain.

Don't know ...[text shortened]... ld even contemplate doing a head transplant when they can't even reconnect a broken spinal cord.
    What's wrong with killing? Drones fly over head every day killing.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 14:32
    Ethics based upon what?

After all, all that matters in life is science. We can't be concerned with sentimental notions of right and wrong.
    I have no respect for your position on morality? Please, explain.

So do you find this procedure unethical and/or immoral? If so, why?

Who feels that all that matters in life is science? Who says we can't be concerned with right and wrong.

You raise more questions than answers.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 15:55
    Ethics based upon what?
    Anything would do.

No, I certainly do not. I have no respect for people without morals.

Yes, I have no respect whatsoever for that position on morality.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 03:38
    I have no respect for your position on morality? Please, explain.

So do you find this procedure unethical and/or immoral? If so, why?

Who feels that all that matters in life is science? Who says we can't be concerned with right and wrong.

You raise more questions than answers.
    Morality is shaped by our perceived authority figures. Those perceived authority figures that I look up to you disdain, and the ones I disdain you look up to. Why then would you care what my moral position is?

As for science vs. religion, all I hear from atheists is how science guides their lives. They look to it to answer all their questions. So how does science answer this question, or does science not help you with this?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 03:551 edit
    Morality is shaped by our perceived authority figures.
    I think morality is shaped by our perceptions of ourselves, of others, and of our responsibilities towards one another and to the community as a whole. The only authority figures that I think have much influence on our morality are our parents, other relatives and family friends, and teachers ~ seeing as our moral maps are mostly drawn before we have much understanding of politics and theology ~ i.e. mid to late teens.

If this shaping of morality in your case is influenced by perceived authority figures from your religious tradition, then I would imagine ~ speaking from experience ~ that it would be of a somewhat indirect kind and would have helped to colour the socialization process that I described in the first sentence of this post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree