1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 09:583 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    As I understand it, Jehovah's Witnesses deny the doctrine of the punishment of the lost in Hell or eternal torment for them in the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, and instead teach that when the Bible refers to Hell it means merely "the grave" and interpret the "lake of fire" and "second death" of the Book of Revelation as referring to a complete and definitive annihilation of those cast into it.

However, doesn't the following scriptures define "hell" as being more than just the grave?

And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
    Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
    (Mark 9:45-46 KJV)

And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
    (Luke 12:4-5 KJV)

The above Scripture clearly evidences the "Second Death" mentioned in Revelation 21:8. Men may kill us once; but God can kill us forever in Hell. This Scripture would make no sense at all if "hell" merely refers to the grave or a place of non-suffering. What fear would there be?

For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.
    (2 Peter 2:4 KJV)

If "hell" is merely the grave, then how could God cast the fallen angels into hell (Greek: Tartarus)? Angels do not die in the human sense. You don't bury them six-feet under or put them in tombs. We clearly read that these fallen angels (i.e. demons) are reserved in chains of darkness awaiting judgment.

There are three different Greek words for our English word "hell" today: Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus. Gehenna is the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:11-15). Tartarus is a special prison for demons reserved unto judgment. Hades is where lost sinners go now when they die (a tormentuous place of fire, torment and suffering).
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 10:05
    Oh this'll be fun. But is it not a re-run of a discussion about hell in the past? A link would be useful if anyone remembers. Very erudite but maybe a few years back.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 10:171 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Oh this'll be fun. But is it not a re-run of a discussion about hell in the past? A link would be useful if anyone remembers. Very erudite but maybe a few years back.
    This was in reference to a post to divegeester on the thread:
    Why are Christians under attack ? (a current thread)

I felt it might need a different thread.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 11:22
    [quote]Originally posted by RJHinds
    As I understand it, Jehovah's Witnesses deny the doctrine of the punishment of the lost in Hell or eternal torment for them in the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, and instead teach that when the Bible refers to Hell it means merely "the grave" and interpret the "lake of fire" and "second death" of the Book of Revelation as r ...[text shortened]... ere lost sinners go now when they die (a tormentuous place of fire, torment and suffering).
    [/b]
    You are such a wonderful ambassador, full of edification, love, mercy and truth.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 11:23
    The fear of The Lord is the beginning of wisdom, not the fear of hell.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 11:251 edit
    For God so loved the world that he created a place of unimaginable eternal horror for those who he loved, but who didn't love him back.

Book of hell 1:1
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 11:301 edit
    I will create you from dust and all the universe around you from nothing in 6 days, I will allow free will and permit you to go astray and lose your eternal life. I will redeem you through myself becoming flesh and paying your penalty. I will leave you virtually no evidence of this wonderful salvation, except my book and my church, my people, like RJHinds who will explain all this amazing salvation and love to you and also that if you happen to not believe then I will drag you to this place of eternal horror when I WILL KEEP YOU ALIVE for eternity while I roast you in the flames of my love. I will watch this with my angels because I love you.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 11:32
    Oh and by the way if any of you saved ones chooses not to believe in my holy-hot-flaming love they too will be cast down into the fires.

I love you my children.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 11:332 edits
    Especially that divegeester. No one should talk to him because he is an unbeliever in the holy-hot-love. Ignoreth him my children lest you also be cast down. Listen to Hinds my children who shall forthwith be called the "Stoker" for he carryeth the message of the holy-hot-love.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 11:59
    It seems to me that your misunderstanding of God's judgment is due to your distorted view of God. You have attempted to make a god of your own choosing. You must search the scriptures to discover the real God of truth and love.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 12:03
    You must search the scriptures to discover the real God of truth and love.
    Can you explain how burning me in hell for eternity is a justifiable response from your "god of truth and love", to my declaration that I do not believe in eternal hell?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 12:05
    Here's another one for you in case my use of "divegeester" in the scenario triggers your partisan circuitry into hate mode.

If someone murders someone and they reject god and go to your version of hell for eternity - is eternal burning in hell a justifiable response to a single murder?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 12:06
    Is burning someone for eternity a justifiable response to any crime?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 12:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Can you explain how burning me in hell for eternity is a justifiable response from your "god of truth and love", to my declaration that I do not believe in eternal hell?
    I do not have a degree in crimal justice. I was just giving my opinion in the case I might be selected for the jury. 😏
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 13:211 edit
    "If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15

The Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15 NASB) 04 Jan '14 Thread 157295

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree