1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 18:12
    Hi,

I'm a research psychologist. One of the things I study is personality.

Together with a student of mine, I am doing a project on a questionnaire called the Oxford Capacity Test. This is the questionnaire that Scientologists use to recruit people to their Church, and to measure their alleged progress towards mental health.

Amazingly, for an oft-administered scale, it hasn't been scientifically validated in the way that questionnaires normally are, even by curious external parties. So I want to see what happens when you try to do this.

Basically, I want to systematically analyze whether the items on the questionnaire hang together in the way that is claimed, and whether the clusters of items that emerge correlate sensibly with scores from already validated questionnaires.

So, I looking for people to fill out the questionnanire. One of the reasons is that it contains 200 items, requiring more than a few minutes to complete.

Given this, here are two incentives:

First. you will be entered into a free draw for £30. Just email psychosurvey@hotmail.co.uk anonymously. No link to your results is made (which leaves the system open to abuse; but I am trusting you! Even you engine users!).

Second, you will get feedback from the proper (and shorter) questionnaires I use about your personality. This will be delivered, once the results are complete, by having you go online, and type into an automated feedback program the same anonymous password you inputted before filling out the questionnanire. You'll get some comparative statistics, and some verbal explanation.

Of course, psychological science will also the beneficiary here, in case altruism is your thing!

There are two links to access. Both are on this page:

http://www.psychology.soton.ac.uk/psychosurvey/

Scroll down and click, in order:

Discover your Personality! Part 1
    Discover your Personality! Part 2

Any questions? Email: psychosurvey@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks a lot! I'll provide details on my findings at RHP at all events. Maybe you can even ask a friend if they would like to take part too.

Aiden
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 01:163 edits
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Hi,

Together with a student of mine, I am doing a project on a questionnaire called the Oxford Capacity Test. This is the questionnaire that Scientologists use to recruit people to their Church, and to measure their alleged progress towards mental health.

Amazingly, for an at all events. Maybe you can even ask a friend if they would like to take part too.

Aiden
    I completed the tests. Are you against my posting any general impressions I may have formed about the OCT during the process?
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 03:39
    Hi,

Amazingly, for an ...[text shortened]... at all events. Maybe you can even ask a friend if they would like to take part too.

Aiden
    I took it, too. Be forewarned: in the studies I participated in back when I was an undergrad for the
    students at my school, I tended to be that lone little dot way off of the median line, or that
    one on the far end of the bell curve, or whatever. I hope I didn't screw up your test. 🙁

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 03:39
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Are you against my posting any general impressions I may have formed about the OCT during the process?
    Ditto.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 05:531 edit
    Note: Duplicate of general forum thread.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 07:15
    i took a personality test. and the woman that gave me the test said i was either lying or i am really messed up

anyway i will take the test, i like tests 🙂
  7. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 19:58
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I completed the tests. Are you against my posting any general impressions I may have formed about the OCT during the process?
    Of course not! I would value your comments, and have some things to say myself.

However, I would ask you to wait a week or two before commenting, so that other test takers are not biased by your (likely insightful) percections. However, as this is a discussion forum, I doubt everyone will keep mum; so I guess I'll just have to tolerate any bias therefore generated as the price of advertising to a possibly interested audience.

I appreciate your taking the time to fill out the test!
  8. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Note: Duplicate of general forum thread.
    Well, this will be the lifetime limit of my spamming. It's in science too. We'll keep discussion to this thread.
  9. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:01
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I took it, too. Be forewarned: in the studies I participated in back when I was an undergrad for the
    students at my school, I tended to be that lone little dot way off of the median line, or that
    one on the far end of the bell curve, or whatever. I hope I didn't screw up your test. 🙁

Nemesio
    I'm sure you overestimate your oddity, Nemesio. If not, you'll be rinsed clean when we statistically scrub our dataset 🙂
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 22:20
    Originally posted by Nemesio

Nemesio
    Of that I have no doubt.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 00:02
    Hi,

Amazingly, for an ...[text shortened]... at all events. Maybe you can even ask a friend if they would like to take part too.

Aiden
    I took the test. Some of the questions were poorly phrased. imo

After I see the results I'll let you know if it is valid or not. If you know what I mean. 😉
  12. Berks.
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 00:18
    Originally posted by josephw

After I see the results I'll let you know if it is valid or not. If you know what I mean. 😉
    These are the same as those on the Oxford Capacity Test aren't they?

I've actually done the test and spoken about it with Scientologists in the past. Never had any intention of joining, but not surprised at all to find out that it showed up a problem which would be helped by joining their church - and by buying the book (of which many copies were available to buy).

I suspect that most people would be judged as having a problem 'identified' by this, though I can't recall what mine actually was. Will be interesting to see what the findings actually are.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 00:56
    Originally posted by Peakite

I've actually done the test and spoken about it with Scientologists in the past. Never had any intention of joining, but not surprised at all to find out that it showed up a problem which would be helped by joining their church - and by buying the book (of which many copies were availabl ...[text shortened]... t recall what mine actually was. Will be interesting to see what the findings actually are.
    Great avatar! Nice and friendly.

I don't know about the Oxford Capacity test. But I am thinking that the range of questions on such tests must be quite limited. I don't really know for sure.
  14. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 16:00
    Originally posted by josephw

I agree. And some are just plain weird.
  15. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 16:051 edit
    Originally posted by Peakite

I've actually done the test and spoken about it with Scientologists in the past. Never had any intention of joining, but not surprised at all to find out that it showed up a problem which would be helped by joining their church - and by buying the book (of which many copies were availabl t recall what mine actually was. Will be interesting to see what the findings actually are.
    They are the same items.

The feedback on OCA performance provided by Scientologists is skewed in an unfavorable direction to attract recruits.

I'm not giving any feedback on the basis of the OCA, whose validity is unproven and highly questionable, but rather on the basis of the shorter validated personality tests, who validity has been scientifically demonstrated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree