1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 14:33
    The Word then leaps forth from the materializing elements, which made them unintelligent. Nous then made the governors spin, and from their matter sprang forth creatures without speech. Earth then was separated from Water and the animals (other than Man) were brought forth from the Earth.

The Supreme Nous then created Man, androgynous, in his own image and handed over his creation. Man carefully observed the creation of his brother, the lesser Nous, and received his and his Father's authority over it all. Man then rose up above the spheres' paths to better view the creation, and then showed the form of the ALL to Nature. Nature fell in love with it, and Man, seeing a similar form to his own reflecting in the water fell in love with Nature and wished to dwell in it. Immediately Man became one with Nature and became a slave to its limitations such as gender and sleep. Man thus became speechless (for it lost the Word) and became double, being mortal in body but immortal in spirit, having authority of all but subject to destiny.

The tale does not specifically contradict the theory of evolution, other than for Man, but most Hermeticists fully accept evolutionary theory as a solid grounding for the creation of everything from base matter to Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermetism

It seems to me that Hermetism has a far more grounded view of
    creation than Christianity.
  2. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 14:521 edit
    Hermes himself talks about going on a blinder and seeing distant
    universes with spaceships etc.

How did they know about this kind of thing way back then?

Gotta admit it's a little more intriguing than some lovesick whorejunkie
    crawling out of a cave after being linched eh?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 15:084 edits
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Hermes himself talks about going on a blinder and seeing distant
    universes with spaceships etc.

How did they know about this kind of thing way back then?

Gotta admit it's a little more intriguing than some lovesick whorejunkie
    crawling out of a cave after being linched eh?
    Actually, the "ancients" were far more advanced than what we give them credit. At least, this is the pircture we are getting from archaelogy. I think we ASSUME we are far more advanced than the ancients because of those darn charts we have all seen in our science books showing a creature walking on all four that could pass for a monkey who then begins to walk more upright and begins to shed hair until the darn thing looks like us!!! In addition, we point to all the technology in our lives today and then proclaim how much more intelligent we are in comparison. If the truth be known, however, the "average Joe" is NOT any more advanced and is arguably less intelligent in many respects. The result of our technology is simply a result of knowledge built upon knowledge over the years. For example, had Einstien been born back in the Stone age, what would the chances of him comiing up with the theory of relativity? Every now and again you have freaks of nature like Einstien upon whom we can build upon for greater advances in our knowledge unless, of course, it is not recorded and lost forever.
  4. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 17:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually, the "ancients" were far more advanced than what we give them credit. At least, this is the pircture we are getting from archaelogy. I think we ASSUME we are far more advanced than the ancients because of those darn charts we have all seen in our science books showing a creature walking on all four that could pass for a monkey who then begins to wa ...[text shortened]... or greater advances in our knowledge unless, of course, it is not recorded and lost forever.
    That's coming in too thick and fast for me to make sense of.
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 17:59
    The Word then leaps forth from the materializing elements, which made them unintelligent. Nous then made the governors spin, and from their matter sprang forth creatures without speech. Earth then was separated from Water and the animals (other than Man) were brought forth from the Earth.

The Supreme Nous then created Man, androgynous, in his own image a ...[text shortened]...

this is all bulls**t.
  6. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 20:12
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    this is all bulls**t.
    Care to spend 2 mins out of years of Christian threads in this forum to tell me why?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 21:13
    Care to spend 2 mins out of years of Christian threads in this forum to tell me why?
    come on, are we going to have crazy religions discussed?

you might as well include mormonism and scientology.
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 23:12

What's wrong with mormonism and scientology?
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 23:42
    That's coming in too thick and fast for me to make sense of.
    Dumbed down for you...

Humans are no smarter than they ever were, but we've been accumulating technology for a long time which makes us seem smarter.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 23:42
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    What's wrong with mormonism and scientology?
    Scientologists aggressively try to control their neighborhoods, deciding which businesses are allowed to survive and which must go, etc.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 23:47

The Supreme Nous then created Man, androgynous, in his own image a ...[text shortened]...

That which is below is as that which is above, and that which is above is as that which is below, to perform the miracles of the one thing.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 02:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Scientologists aggressively try to control their neighborhoods, deciding which businesses are allowed to survive and which must go, etc.
    I agree that there is something wrong with scientology, but when it comes to their beliefs it's a legit religion.
  13. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 03:52
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I agree that there is something wrong with scientology, but when it comes to their beliefs it's a legit religion.
    I would classify it as more of a philosophy
  14. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 07:36

You're going to compare Hermetism with Scientology.

*shakes generalissimo and points to the desert* How many freakin'
    pyramids have the scientologists built?
  15. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 07:482 edits
    Hermetism predates Christianity and spreads throughout Greek and
    Roman traditions.

It would be far more fit to compare Christianity to Scientology.
    The b*stard fledglings of greed.

How d'you like them apples?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree