1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 20:22
    @moonbus said
    The Catholics overthink everything. It’s a habit they picked up after Origen read Plato, and they can’t walk it back it now after so many centuries of torturing logic to make the incredible credible.

Protestants put less emphasis on the doctrines (the Trinity and all that) and more on the personal conviction aspect.
    "Christianity is Platonism for the masses." -- Nietzsche
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 21:33
    @pettytalk said
    Would gosh class yourself as being a Christian?
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 06:15
    @pettytalk said
    Judaism for gentiles. (They don't have to refrain from eating pork or circumcise their sons.)
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 08:12
    @mlb62 said
    yes I have. So explain to me why the Pope has already admitted that ETs do exist and that God made them, but put them on a different planet. The the pope ( at that time) removed the Book of Enoch from the Bible because it stated clearly he went on their space ship !! The Book of Enoch was too hot to handle !
    But the Book of Enoch is not about aliens or spaceships.

It is about fallen angels, the Nephilim and the Watchers.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 08:15
    @moonbus said
    Judaism for gentiles. (They don't have to refrain from eating pork or circumcise their sons.)
    Yes.

I'm not willing to grant the nihilist Nietzsche any credibility, though.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 09:24
    @pettytalk said
    I see that living in the shed with Herman's goat has done you some good. A very impressive listing of who is who in the world of the spirit of true philosophy. Let us add Pythagoras to the list, and it will get us closer to the essence of the spirit of the Holy Ghost.

When the body is shed, only the spirit remains. Or if we want to scare the children, it's a ghost of a ...[text shortened]... he handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVSxWCosMM0
    Pythagoras didn't fit nearly as well into the Christian scheme of things as Plato did. For two reasons, I suspect.

First, he maintained that there is intelligible order in the cosmos, permeating all phenomena, which he called Harmonia. It is nothing to do with any deity, it is utterly dis-personal, can be apprehended by reason alone, and is especially manifest in mathematical proportions (for example in musical chords). There isn't any 'nether world' for Pythagoras -- there is just this world, mathematically ordered. Plato, on the other hand, postulated a 'nether world' of perfect Forms, and it was easy for early Christian theologians to interpret this 'nether world' as the abode of God and his angels.

Second, Pythagoras mostly likely held Orphic ideas about the afterlife, whereby the psyche migrated to other beings (not necessarily humans). He reportedly recognized a former friend in the body of a dog, and a river was heard to speak to him (Christians would have denounced such things as necromancy, demonology, or witchcraft). That doesn't quite fit in with the Christian scheme of things, whereby the soul lives only once and is promoted/demoted to the 'nether world' forever.

And yes, Herman's goat is very well-read in classics.
  7. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 17:10
    @Suzianne said
    But the Book of Enoch is not about aliens or spaceships.

It is about fallen angels, the Nephilim and the Watchers.
    then why were the Nephilims so tall ? Ezekiel 32:27 states that the outer space aliens came down and mated with the Human hot babes who they found were attractive. The their offspring had ALIEN DNA ! thats why they were so tall. Also Genesis 6.1.4
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 20:46
    @mlb62 said
    then why were the Nephilims so tall ? Ezekiel 32:27 states that the outer space aliens came down and mated with the Human hot babes who they found were attractive. The their offspring had ALIEN DNA ! thats why they were so tall. Also Genesis 6.1.4
    The Nephilim were the offspring of the fallen Watchers (who were angels) with human women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

Likewise, the Book of Ezekiel is also not about aliens or spaceships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Ezekiel

No alien DNA needed.

Genesis 6 is the beginning of the story of Noah, and why God brought on the Flood.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree