1. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 19:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    You claim to be a Christian and your denomination is part of that disunity.
    We are not affiliated in any way with any other religion, Christian or otherwise.
    We are unique and the only religion that honors God's Name to the best of our understanding.
    One day we will know the correct pronunciation of that Holy Name.
    Until then, we have confidence that God speaks English as He
    originated all languages.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 19:48
    Originally posted by roigam
    No, we don't interpret. We study to gain understanding.
    But the "understanding" that you "gain" is an interpretation. All Christians who study the Bible seek to gain understanding. These various understandings are interpretations. And if I understand correctly what you mean by "imperfect men", all members of the JW organisation, now, that have ever been, and that will ever be, and every single one who has striven to "gain understanding" are all "imperfect men (and women)", right?
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 19:48
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Because what you refer to as a "body" is not a religious organisation (especially not the Jehovah's Witnesses), it is a widespread and diverse group of people who collectively form the body of Christ through his spirit.
    Thank you for your intelligent response!
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 19:50
    We are not affiliated in any way with any other religion, Christian or otherwise.
    We are unique and the only religion that honors God's Name to the best of our understanding.
    Yes, as you pointed out in your OP, there has been a proliferation of some 41,000 different Christian denominations. If you identify yourself as a Christian, then you are part of that.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 19:50
    And 41000 other groups make the exact same claims!
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 19:55
    Thank you for your intelligent response!
    Thank you for not considering me disagreeing with your religious assertions as "bullying".
  7. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 19:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    But the "understanding" that you "gain" is an interpretation. All Christians who study the Bible seek to gain understanding. These various understandings are interpretations. And if I understand correctly what you mean by "imperfect men", all members of the JW organisation, now, that have ever been, and that will ever be, and every single one who has striven to "gain understanding" are all "imperfect men (and women)", right?
    You are correct!
    We are all imperfect.
    We are not wise.
    That is why we continue to study the Bible and
    it reveals to us (and to all who seek it) God's viewpoint and wisdom.

(Matthew 11:25, 26) At that time Jesus said in response: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. 26 Yes, O Father, because this is the way you approved.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:06
    (Ephesians 4:4, 5) One body there is, and one spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord,.....,,,,, one faith........., one baptism;
    So why are there some 41,000 different Christian religions?
    The issue seems to me whether or not God was truly involved at all with the writings in the Bible. I would think that if the Creator of the Universe gave us humans a book that could guide us, and help us, both here on earth, and how exactly we are to get to Heaven, then this book should be crystal clear in its meaning to every single human that reads its words. The fact that there are thousands of interpretations and/or opinions of what any given verse means brings God's involvement into question for me. For such serious matters as living properly, not sinning, and making certain that one does what is 'required' to obtain everlasting life, the writings should not be that of a mystery novel.

What makes you (roigam) think that you have successfully understood the Bible? And, doesn't it make sense that if you are correct with your 'faith', that every person on the planet should be a Jehovah Witness?
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:12
    Originally posted by chaney3
    The issue seems to me whether or not God was truly involved at all with the writings in the Bible. I would think that if the Creator of the Universe gave us humans a book that could guide us, and help us, both here on earth, and how exactly we are to get to Heaven, then this book should be crystal clear in its meaning to every single human that reads its wo ...[text shortened]... you are correct with your 'faith', that every person on the planet should be a Jehovah Witness?
    Hey Chaney. Have been holding your place in the queue at the atheist buffet.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Hey Chaney. Have been holding your place in the queue at the atheist buffet.
    Lol, lol. I have been thinking about those buffets for months now. That's why I did not put in my application for your Spiritual Arch Nemesis. 😉

On a serious note.....this issue of Bible interpretation and who is 'correct' with their understanding of it, is top on my list of doubt.
  11. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:27
    The issue seems to me whether or not God was truly involved at all with the writings in the Bible. I would think that if the Creator of the Universe gave us humans a book that could guide us, and help us, both here on earth, and how exactly we are to get to Heaven, then this book should be crystal clear in its meaning to every single human that reads its wo ...[text shortened]... you are correct with your 'faith', that every person on the planet should be a Jehovah Witness?
    I agree.
    What men have done with the Bible is similar to what men have done to Shakespeare.
    Thinking our own opinion of what words say seems to be a fx of our imperfection.
    How about reading the Bible without interpreting?
    Would we not get a clearer pix of what He is saying to us?
    btw, the Bible is so uncomplicated that anyone can understand it, regardless of level of education. That seems to be necessary if it is for all people.
    Personally, I'm still learning and my hope is to learn on into eternity.
    (Romans 11:33) O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:32
    Lol, lol. I have been thinking about those buffets for months now. That's why I did not put in my application for your Spiritual Arch Nemesis. 😉

On a serious note.....this issue of Bible interpretation and who is 'correct' with their understanding of it, is top on my list of doubt.
    Perhaps think of the bible as a sign post pointing the way, rather than as a destination in its own right.

When I order a Chinese takeaway I don't worry too much about getting a perfect understanding of the menu, as long as the food that arrives taste good.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:41
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Perhaps think of the bible as a sign post pointing the way, rather than as a destination in its own right.

When I order a Chinese takeaway I don't worry too much about getting a perfect understanding of the menu, as long as the food that arrives taste good.
    That is too simplistic Ghost. My very point is that the sign post is pointing in thousands of directions, and most people believe that ONLY they know the correct path. When it comes to the Bible, it would only make sense that ONE version of it is correct, and the fact that it's not the case leads me to wonder if God was involved at all.

If I'm not mistaken, it is DUE to the Bible that you are an atheist? That you would be open to a 'God', but not the God portrayed in the Bible?
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:52
    That is too simplistic Ghost. My very point is that the sign post is pointing in thousands of directions, and most people believe that ONLY they know the correct path. When it comes to the Bible, it would only make sense that ONE version of it is correct, and the fact that it's not the case leads me to wonder if God was involved at all.

If I'm not mista ...[text shortened]... you are an atheist? That you would be open to a 'God', but not the God portrayed in the Bible?
    I guess I was really saying (as an atheist) that rather than treating the bible as a divinely inspired book and trying to find the 'true understanding' (which let's face it is like looking for a needle in a haystack with the thousand of interpretations out there) just cherry pick the parts that speak to you on a personal level and give you a sense of direction. Even as an atheist I acknowledge there is some solid stuff in the bible and a morality that (if he exists) could still lead you to God, even if he had nothing to do with its construction.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 20:52
    I agree.
    What men have done with the Bible is similar to what men have done to Shakespeare.
    Thinking our own opinion of what words say seems to be a fx of our imperfection.
    How about reading the Bible without interpreting?
    Would we not get a clearer pix of what He is saying to us?
    btw, the Bible is so uncomplicated that anyone can understand it, regardle ...[text shortened]... nd wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!
    Then how do you explain the thousands of religions and beliefs in the world? Is it man's fault.......or is it because God was not clear in His writings? You said that God gave us a Bible that limited intellect is required to understand and interpret, yet if YOU are correct in your understanding, then ALL on the planet should be in exact alignment with you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree