1. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 08:45
    Originally posted by vistesd
    There is a saying (I forget if it is originally Hindu or Buddhist): Once you have crossed the river, you can leave the boat behind. However—

1) There is never need to disparage the boat(s) that “brung me here” because it was a leaky rowboat, rather than a sleek in-boarder. (And I did not take it that you were doing that!)

2) I think it is alright ...[text shortened]... think we are in any disagreement; we’re just adding personal footnotes to each other’s text….
    Agreed that "leaving the boat behind" need not amount to "disparagement" of the boat. By calling certain elements of organized religion "irrelevant", I'm not disparaging them, more pointing to the reality of how they simply become outgrown. This is somewhat like a neutral position in that it isn't concerned with either promoting them, or negating them. Just letting them go...

gil -- well said...
  2. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 08:55
    Originally posted by Coletti
    What is the "spirit" of Jesus that is distinct from "doctrinal Christianity"??

We have a very different understanding of what "spirit" means. I think you idea of "spirit" is very different than what Christ spoke of if the Gospel is to be believed.
    Yes, we in all likelihood do not share a similar understanding of what "spirit" means. And that need not be a problem.

I believe there are phases in psychological and spiritual development. Eventually one is led into an understanding that is universal, if you will, that is, not limited by the necessity to "make wrong" other avenues to truth. Christ himself refused to be limited by the weight of the traditions that lay before him, hundreds of years old though they were at the time. And for this intransigence and courage he was killed.

Our lesson is perhaps not so severe. But I think that if we make truth the priority, then we must keep inquiring into what truth is. Our capacity to inquire into truth is God-given, you might say, and meant to be used.

They have an expression in India -- "when one recognizes the taste of the enlightened one, it is like sea water; always the same, even if coming from oceans far apart."

It's a pointer to the universality of spiritual truth, and hence of the importance to not get entangled in "this religion is the only way" thinking.
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 09:05
    Originally posted by gentlegil
    Its nice to see the relaxed atmosphere within this thread......no one needs to be commanded to believe in religion.

Some people need and are fulfilled by their religion,seems to help them live by good morals and ethics.......some live themselves by morals and ethics.......

Theres no doubt about the wisdom of Jesus words......and that there is a grace ...[text shortened]... to improve ourselves our outlook for ourselves and others.

It comes from within.......

gil
    very good thoughts 🙂
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 16:38
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    very good thoughts 🙂
    thanks guys.........peace 🙂

gil
  5. NY
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 04:261 edit
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    In paganism, the "other world" after death is Elysium, as I recall; in Wicca, they call it "Summerland", correct? I believe that Summerland is an outgrowth of Elysium. Nice place, I gather, warm and full of friendly folk reviewing ...[text shortened]... eople in the Judeo-Christian Hell are failed Judeo-Christians. 😉
    I know that.. but i was looking at the "christian sins" and wonddering by there definition how many.. i mean "if it harm non do as ye will." isnt a listable list... so i figured go with that.. and why isnt any one answering my question.. shesh..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree