15 Apr '05 03:42
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    LMAO, I love sarcastic rec's.
  2. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 18:49
    Originally posted by eagles54
    How does humility differ from a lack of self-worth?
    Humility, I believe, is the proper understanding of where we stand in relation to God.

When we accomplish something well, and feel good about it, the next step is to acknowledge where the ability, the talent or even the brain power came from. Humility leads me to turn to God and say 'Thank you, for making me able to do that!'

A lack of self-worth is a denial of the truth. When God created the world, he pronounced it good. When He finished, with the ultimate fete of creating Adam and Eve, He pronounced it Very Good! We should be able to look at ourselves, even in this fallen state, and say, 'Yes, you made me very good.'

Too much self-esteem, however, kind of drags us back toward the sin of pride. Especially in this era when bad spellers are encouraged because they tried, or bad readers are encouraged because the author shouldn't have used so many big words, people are in danger of living under lie. Remember from Genesis, that Satan's first weapon against man was to confuse the truth with the lie. And we must still be careful to settle only for the TRUTH.
  3. Gangster Land
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 19:17
    Pride is saying that you are better then everyone else and also pride towards God is saying that you can do it on your own without his help in life and gitting to heaven.
    RB,

Is it possible to become prideful of ones own faith in God or even in ones own particular religious doctrin? For instance, could it be considered prideful to blindly accept the doctrin my church teaches when I have never researched the teachings of other churches and or religions?

Thanks

TheSkipper
  4. Meddling with things
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 00:011 edit
    Pride is saying that you are better then everyone else and also pride towards God is saying that you can do it on your own without his help in life and gitting to heaven.
    Pride is saying you know all the answers because you've read them in a 'holy' book.

Pride is being the head of a church soaked with wealth and drenched in bloodshed. Yes that was you JP2

Pride is the evangelist 'holier than thou'

Pride is the conviction that you're on your way to heaven jsut because you've followed your parents faith

5. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 15:261 edit
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Pride is saying you know all the answers because you've read them in a 'holy' book.

Pride is being the head of a church soaked with wealth and drenched in bloodshed. Yes that was you JP2

Pride is the evangelist 'holier than t ...[text shortened]... way to heaven jsut because you've followed your parents faith

What do you mean? Is it prideful to have confidence in a book? I could never have learned anything of math or science or chess if I couldn't have placed confidence in the author.

The church (small c) is man's invention and has been run by men; including many sinful, unrepentant men, and sometimes it has been evident. I doubt if JP2, an example of humility, was neither proud of all of his church's history, nor proud of his place as its head.

Pride is the evangelist 'holier than thou'[b]

Every teacher, by definition, must have confidence that he has something to teach. We must carefully judge who we will listen to. Careful to cull out the bad ones, and careful to actually consider the ones who are told about in 2 Timothy 2:15
    "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

[b]Pride is the conviction that you're on your way to heaven jsut because you've followed your parents faith

This may be pride, but it certainly is foolishness. Even when your parents understanding is true and correct, we are each responsible to make that decision on our own.

6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 23:15
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    LMAO, I love sarcastic rec's.
    Yes, lol I posted on the wrong Thread so I deleted it and copied pasted on the other Thread that is was made for lol yes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree