1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 22:39
    Apart from that perfect.

And why phrase it like that?
    If I said "I am a jealous Wolfgang59" am I not acknowledging
    other "Wolfgang59"s? (Less jealous than me!)
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 22:45
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Apart from that perfect.

And why phrase it like that?
    If I said "I am a jealous Wolfgang59" am I not acknowledging
    other "Wolfgang59"s? (Less jealous than me!)
    Back in those days, folks knew nothing if not a plethora of gods.
    It was actually kind of hard keeping them apart.
    One of the ways God re-introduced Himself to the general populace was to refer to Himself as "the Living God," since most people's idea of god(s) included an abundance of death.

Also endemic of that time was the idea that more = more, better.
    God's intent in striking the pose, so to speak, was to inform the hearer: when it comes to god(s), I'm it.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 23:01
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    One of the ways God re-introduced Himself to the general populace was to refer to Himself as "the Living God," since most people's idea of god(s) included an abundance of death.

Also endemic of that time was the idea that more = more, bet ...[text shortened]... nt in striking the pose, so to speak, was to inform the hearer: when it comes to god(s), I'm it.
    Good explanation if the bible were written by Man.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 23:14
    Good explanation if the bible were written by Man.
    Since it is required of the reader to understand whatever text they're reading within the context of its origin, that is the only explanation necessary.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Mar '14 23:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH

Also endemic of that time was the idea that more = more, bet ...[text shortened]... nt in striking the pose, so to speak, was to inform the hearer: when it comes to god(s), I'm it.
    The reason he said he was the "Living God" was the fact that it was true. No other gods that were worshipped were alive but only devised by mans imaginations. This is why so many if not most were made by man in the form of statues. One thought they needed this to believe their made up Gods were real even as they do today.
    And this is why God detested these statues as in reality they meant nothing, were worthless, were not able to do anything and man was pretty stupid in fact to worship something he made out of a piece of stone, wood or whatever he could dig up with his own hands.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 00:101 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    No other gods that were worshipped were alive but only devised by mans imaginations. This is why so many if not most were made by man in the form of statues. ... And this is why God detested t something he made out of a piece of stone, wood or whatever he could dig up with his own hands.
    So god "detested" these inanimate objects.
    And was jealous if anyone worshipped them.

Did his jealousy manifest itself with him stomping around and
    having a hissy fit? Is that what causes thunder and lightning?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 00:41
    So god "detested" these inanimate objects.
    And was jealous if anyone worshipped them.

Did his jealousy manifest itself with him stomping around and
    having a hissy fit? Is that what causes thunder and lightning?
    it has different connotations in Hebrew than it does in English
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 05:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it has different connotations in Hebrew than it does in English
    Yes, unlike in English, in Hebrew the jealous don't just hire a lawyer to get even.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 09:11
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yes, unlike in English, in Hebrew the jealous don't just hire a lawyer to get even.
    LOL, na but its true, in English it usually is a one dimensional word with negative connotations, in Hebrew and in the Biblical context is rather more colorful and can be rendered as 'exacting exclusive devotion', which i think you will agree is somewhat far removed from our understanding of jealousy.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 10:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    LOL, na but its true, in English it usually is a one dimensional word with negative connotations, in Hebrew and in the Biblical context is rather more colorful and can be rendered as 'exacting exclusive devotion', which i think you will agree is somewhat far removed from our understanding of jealousy.
    However you want to frame it, the fact remains a god who could create whole universes would never 'demand' worship from its subjects. That is a decidedly human trait, which is of course man made, no god needed to make the Abrahamic religions.

It is mind boggling how people can be duped by this kind of crap after 3000 years or more.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '14 16:081 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    However you want to frame it, the fact remains a god who could create whole universes would never 'demand' worship from its subjects. That is a decidedly human trait, which is of course man made, no god needed to make the Abrahamic religions.

It is mind boggling how people can be duped by this kind of crap after 3000 years or more.
    yeah because fairy tales of life appearing from non life in prebiotic soup is real appealing. The biggest critics of religion are those that never read religious books.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    14 Mar '14 03:261 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Actually sonhouse, the human's traits have all the traits of God. If we are created by Him, then we would be more like Him. It is written, "God created us in His image".
  13. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '14 07:10
    What does the Hebrew word for "jealous" mean? Do you think that God acts like a man in being jealous? Do you think that God even needs us? He once repented that He had made man, right? And yet, God gave grace to Noah. Perhaps, God did this preservation only to keep His word about Christ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree