Now why couldn't I have just said that!!?? πŸ˜•
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 15:21
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]Sorry, Vistesd.

No offense taken (my wife says my posts are always too long, too). πŸ™‚ Also, I have been limiting my recent posts to a pretty narrow area, monistic Judaism.

He seems to be saying that any text can be interpreted to mean anything you want it to.

I don’t push it quite that far—but I push it further than most. There is t ...[text shortened]... ied, revisited, and reformulated.” (p. 14; my italics)

Yes, another over-long post, I know…😳[/b]
    That was helpful. As I read that I couldn't help but wonder if the spirituial forums are a micrcosm of a faith community as you described the different layers of Judaism. What is seen as contentiousness might very well be accepted as an element of faith or am I missing something.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 16:05
    [b]Sorry, Vistesd.

No offense taken (my wife says my posts are always too long, too). πŸ™‚ Also, I have been limiting my recent posts to a pretty narrow area, monistic Judaism.

He seems to be saying that any text can be interpreted to mean anything you want it to.

I don’t push it quite that far—but I push it further than most. There is t ...[text shortened]... ied, revisited, and reformulated.” (p. 14; my italics)

This all reminds of the scene from Monty Python's Life Of Brian, where Brian finds himself trying to blend in with the various crackpot preachers in order to avoid being found by the Romans. He tries to give his own impromptu sermon but is mercilessly cross examined by the watching crowd, who accuse him (among other things) of "just making it up as he goes along."
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 16:11
    Originally posted by rwingett
    This all reminds of the scene from [b]Monty Python's Life Of Brian, where Brian finds himself trying to blend in with the various crackpot preachers in order to avoid being found by the Romans. He tries to give his own impromptu sermon but is mercilessly cross examined by the watching crowd, who accuse him (among other things) of "just making it up as he goes along."[/b]
    "Always look on the bright side of life!" πŸ˜‰
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 16:16
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    That was helpful. As I read that I couldn't help but wonder if the spirituial forums are a micrcosm of a faith community as you described the different layers of Judaism. What is seen as contentiousness might very well be accepted as an element of faith or am I missing something.
    What is seen as contentiousness might very well be accepted as an element of faith or am I missing something.

I can go there. These threads do make me search deeper, question my own views more, look for new spins... Maybe as close as the actual argumentative talmid torah as I'm likely to get.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 16:431 edit
    Now why couldn't I have just said that!!??
    Who would do the midrash then?

I'm working on my shrug. The Gallic one is easy; the Kabbalistic one's a bit trickier to master.

By the way--is such a thing as a Buddhist fundamentalist possible? Have you ever met one?
  7. Colorado
    Moves
    18 Dec '05 00:542 edits
    [b]Sorry, Vistesd.

Perhaps if you limited your paragraphs to three or four sentences as I try to do your posts would be easier to read.

Just a suggestion. πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree